Do I even need a cooking stove? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Do I even need a cooking stove?

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
So I’ve travelled both with and without a stove for extended periods, my take is; if you to cook shit, bring a small lightweight wood stove.

It’s not nescesary, but its far, far more effecient. To use, simply collect a bundle of twigs and sticks, which you can find literally anywhere except above the tree line and on the tundras in winter. set down your stove, light fire, cook.

Without one you gotta find a good area, make a fire pit. collect alot more wood(the stove concentrates the heat, using less wood) Sometimes a lengthy setup, start your fire and cook.
Sometimes theres no safe area to build a pit. Sometimes its raining. sometimes theres not alot of wood around.

My stove weighs 4.5 ounces and my pot fits perfectly inside of it, so it takes up effectivly no space in my pack. I’ll gladly cary 4.5 more ounces for the accumulated hours and hours of hassle it saves me.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So I’ve travelled both with and without a stove for extended periods, my take is; if you to cook shit, bring a small lightweight wood stove.

It’s not nescesary, but its far, far more effecient. To use, simply collect a bundle of twigs and sticks, which you can find literally anywhere except above the tree line and on the tundras in winter. set down your stove, light fire, cook.

Without one you gotta find a good area, make a fire pit. collect alot more wood(the stove concentrates the heat, using less wood) Sometimes a lengthy setup, start your fire and cook.
Sometimes theres no safe area to build a pit. Sometimes its raining. sometimes theres not alot of wood around.

My stove weighs 4.5 ounces and my pot fits perfectly inside of it, so it takes up effectivly no space in my pack. I’ll gladly cary 4.5 more ounces for the accumulated hours and hours of hassle it saves me.

4.5 ouncew is light... mind telling us what stove that is?

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
4.5 ouncew is light... mind telling us what stove that is?
take this
266B6284-7A71-4B58-B6EE-D2CFC59DB404.jpeg

and get some cutting implement and make it into something like this
EA1E38A0-76D0-414C-8A18-998CF9440C11.jpeg

It’s a kitchen utensile holder from Ikea. Costs maybe 6$? Stick some peices of metal through the holes at the top to hold your pot and your done.

KittyCosmos

plutonian mick
Reaction score
Website
alleyaddict.tumblr.com
take this View attachment 45750
and get some cutting implement and make it into something like this View attachment 45751

It’s a kitchen utensile holder from Ikea. Costs maybe 6$? Stick some peices of metal through the holes at the top to hold your pot and your done.

Lol, literally have the same one from walmart. Great alternative use for it!
Personally I carry an Esbit pocket stove, and fuel cubes, for the places and times that building a fire pit and large fire are unfeasible. Small enough for just a cup of coffee, but can be efficient enough to cook a full meal. Quick, compact, and durable.

julianface

Reaction score
I don't know why dry food isn't more common. So much shit to eat without heat. Nuts bread dips jerky candy chips fruits and veg etc. I find it liberating not needing to rely on a heat source. Just one less thing to worry about

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't know why dry food isn't more common. So much shit to eat without heat. Nuts bread dips jerky candy chips fruits and veg etc. I find it liberating not needing to rely on a heat source. Just one less thing to worry about

Yes it is true there is a lot of great food that does not need to be cooked... although.

I think being exposed to the elements... having the option of a hot drink or meal is not a luxury but a damn good comfort.

Nothing brightens my day like a hot thermos of java to go with my vodka on a chilly morning.

::drinkingbuddy::

julianface

Reaction score
Yes it is true there is a lot of great food that does not need to be cooked... although.

I think being exposed to the elements... having the option of a hot drink or meal is not a luxury but a damn good comfort.

Nothing brightens my day like a hot thermos of java to go with my vodka on a chilly morning.

::drinkingbuddy::
That's the caffeine addiction talking hehe I think that's why campstoves are so common. People REALLY want that coffee every day

• Love It
Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads