Do I even need a cooking stove? | Squat the Planet

Do I even need a cooking stove?

ClashCityRkr

Reaction score
So, I been thinking about my list for my upcoming escapades. Something about a cooking stove seems a little unnecessary. I can eat lots of stuff cold outta cans, and even still, with a proper mess kit, I could just cook over a fire. I plan on being out there for a long time. A year, at least. For any of ya'll who've been out there for long stints, is a cooking Stove really a necessary addition to an already heavy pack?

Reactions: julianface

NagaPadoha

Reaction score
Haven't done years, but I've been on the road about a month at this point. I don't use my cook stove every day, but I've been really grateful to have it. I definitely find that I start to miss hot meals when I don't have access to them, and I'm way less likely to spend money on fast food and crap when I can cook something once in a while. There are also a lot of places / times of year where it's a dick move to build a fire, where as a little camp stove properly supervised would be totally fine.
So it's mostly about your preferences. I really like a little hot coffee and oatmeal in the morning, and some hot food at night, so I definitely take mine with me, but if you're straight backpacking..?

D

Deleted member 125

i have a etekcity stove that i use jetboil fuel with and the two together weigh about a pound, its well worth the weight to be able to heat up food or have a cup of coffee without having to build and maintain a fire imo.

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I carry around a little alcohol-burning soda can hobo stove (search on youtube) just for the sake of having it; depending on my plans I often don't bother carrying fuel for it.
I love a little fire, but the two major drawbacks are a) it's a pain when you want something hot for breakfast, and b) it makes stealth camping more difficult, for obvious reasons. In this scenario, do your damndest to hide all traces of fire before you go to bed, because if you get caught, a charred hole in the ground can mean the difference between the landowner not giving a fuck, or giving a lot of fucks.

travelingheathen

Reaction score
Rubber on asphalt; or dirt, or grass or gravel...
I would concur with the previous responses. It's nice to have one when you want it. A warm meal on an otherwise dreary day can be a serious mood enhancer.
As Padoho and Pro have stated, it will be a benefit to have a stove for cooking while in places where a fire is impractical.
Backpacking stoves are negligible in weight; think the brs style, and most can be fueled with either isop or propane*.
(*with the adapter)

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Shaka

That One Guy
Reaction score
I carry two metal canteens that have cups with handles. Can hold a regular size can like ravoli and what not, with some room to spare. Can also just make a small fire with like some rocks to stand the cup on and boom, There ya go hot meal. Once done you can keep the fire going for warmth or snuff it out with a side sweep of ya foot with dirt.

Attachments

• 1533123829711759214156.jpg
    1533123829711759214156.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: Odin

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I carry a little backpacking stove...not heavy, really and 100% worth it to have hot tea and coffee in the morning, especially when it's cold out. I can get my coffee without even leaving my sleeping bag! Plus hot oatmeal, pasta, rice and beans and veggies, & whatever else I can come up with

Reactions: Odin

mouse

Reaction score
A small stove (particularly propane or butane) can be stealthier:

• lower light levels
  • less smell
  • quicker deployment and repacking

ClashCityRkr

Reaction score
Just carry a bottle of alcohol and make you a stove on the fly. All you need is an aluminum can. There are plenty tutorials showing how to do so. And alcohol has plenty of uses for a traveler. It's also cheap.

This is honestly what i'm leaning on doing. It's just so simple and can be recreated in the event of any catastrophic equipment failures.

ClashCityRkr

Reaction score
I carry around a little alcohol-burning soda can hobo stove (search on youtube) just for the sake of having it; depending on my plans I often don't bother carrying fuel for it.
I love a little fire, but the two major drawbacks are a) it's a pain when you want something hot for breakfast, and b) it makes stealth camping more difficult, for obvious reasons. In this scenario, do your damndest to hide all traces of fire before you go to bed, because if you get caught, a charred hole in the ground can mean the difference between the landowner not giving a fuck, or giving a lot of fucks.

This was the route I was thinking of going. Wouldn't a camp Stove create just as much light?

ClashCityRkr

Reaction score
Haven't done years, but I've been on the road about a month at this point. I don't use my cook stove every day, but I've been really grateful to have it. I definitely find that I start to miss hot meals when I don't have access to them, and I'm way less likely to spend money on fast food and crap when I can cook something once in a while. There are also a lot of places / times of year where it's a dick move to build a fire, where as a little camp stove properly supervised would be totally fine.
So it's mostly about your preferences. I really like a little hot coffee and oatmeal in the morning, and some hot food at night, so I definitely take mine with me, but if you're straight backpacking..?

Any obvious downside to the can & alcohol method?

D

Deleted member 125

This was the route I was thinking of going. Wouldn't a camp Stove create just as much light?

a camp stove creates very little if any light especially if you invest in a cheap screen to block wind.

Any obvious downside to the can & alcohol method?

they are very weak compared to any other cook system, im talking like if you plan to do anything with it besides heat up coffee/tea yer gonna be shit outta luck.

sd40chef

Reaction score
a camp stove creates very little if any light especially if you invest in a cheap screen to block wind.

they are very weak compared to any other cook system, im talking like if you plan to do anything with it besides heat up coffee/tea yer gonna be shit outta luck.
I've cooked tons of meals with alcohol and beer can stoves. Lots of rice and lentil and pastas, oatmeal etc. Maybe not as good as some but for sure cooked a lot for awhile with one

D

Deleted member 125

I've cooked tons of meals with alcohol and beer can stoves. Lots of rice and lentil and pastas, oatmeal etc. Maybe not as good as some but for sure cooked a lot for awhile with one

well shit what do i know? looks like op just needs a beer can stove.

D

Deleted member 125

Haha whatever cooks his food I guess.. I have been stovelesson he road for awhile trying to lighten the load but lately thinking about getting cooking gear again.

like i said mines about a pound and thats well worth it for me to be able to heat up anything from tea to making burritos.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads