DIY touring bike kick stand or pole? | Squat the Planet

DIY touring bike kick stand or pole?

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
How about one of those collapsible hiking poles propped under the seat?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kayata-3FMOSSS015-B-Alpenstock-Straight-Shank-OPAL015-B-Black/49652481

I have beat the hell out of a pair of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2PCS-Tre...luminum/602185638?variantFieldId=actual_color

hiking around and using them as semi-crutches. They seem to take a bit of weight well. My biggest complaint is that I messed up the locking mechanism and they don't collapse fully anymore. The next pair I get I will be looking for the lever-lock type and not the type that you have to turn to lock.

EDIT: Having the hiking pole would also serve dual purpose of being a kickstand and hiking pole.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: duderino

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
If you have the $, why not buy an actual kickstand? I don't think their too expensive; you can probably find a used one on Craigslist

duderino

Reaction score
Website
slothsbigadventure.wordpress.com
@DrewSTNY Thanks, I didn't think about using trekking poles before. Good idea. I might give one of those a shot.
If you have the $, why not buy an actual kickstand? I don't think their too expensive; you can probably find a used one on Craigslist
I've already spent a lot of money on the bike and other gear. I'm trying not to spend much more. From what I've read, most typical kickstands can't handle the weight of a touring bike. I have seen collapsible pole versions online, but they are a little pricey, and I don't have time to wait for something to come in the mail. About a year ago, when I first started looking into touring, I saw a guide online about how to make a good one that doubled as a flag stand, but I haven't been able to find it again.

somn

Reaction score
serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fawanderingphoto.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F01%2Fimage105.jpg

Luckydog752

Reaction score
A good stick from the forest works for not only a kickstand but good self defense against numerous bad things...always try to double purpose your items that you must have with you (as in using a stick for a weapon, kickstand, cane if needed, prying or digging tool, a joust, flag holder for being seen easier by traffic, pole for holding up shelter like a tarp... Many uses... Trekking poles collapse small but are not as reliable as a straight piece of aluminum from an old tent pole or a piece of hardwood...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads