DIY touring bike kick stand or pole? (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

DrewSTNY

Vagabond
How about one of those collapsible hiking poles propped under the seat?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kayata-3FMOSSS015-B-Alpenstock-Straight-Shank-OPAL015-B-Black/49652481

I have beat the hell out of a pair of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2PCS-Tre...luminum/602185638?variantFieldId=actual_color

hiking around and using them as semi-crutches. They seem to take a bit of weight well. My biggest complaint is that I messed up the locking mechanism and they don't collapse fully anymore. The next pair I get I will be looking for the lever-lock type and not the type that you have to turn to lock.

EDIT: Having the hiking pole would also serve dual purpose of being a kickstand and hiking pole.

Last edited:

duderino

Wayfarer
Website
slothsbigadventure.wordpress.com
@DrewSTNY Thanks, I didn't think about using trekking poles before. Good idea. I might give one of those a shot.
If you have the $, why not buy an actual kickstand? I don't think their too expensive; you can probably find a used one on Craigslist
I've already spent a lot of money on the bike and other gear. I'm trying not to spend much more. From what I've read, most typical kickstands can't handle the weight of a touring bike. I have seen collapsible pole versions online, but they are a little pricey, and I don't have time to wait for something to come in the mail. About a year ago, when I first started looking into touring, I saw a guide online about how to make a good one that doubled as a flag stand, but I haven't been able to find it again.

somn

Rambler
serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fawanderingphoto.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F01%2Fimage105.jpg

Luckydog752

A good stick from the forest works for not only a kickstand but good self defense against numerous bad things...always try to double purpose your items that you must have with you (as in using a stick for a weapon, kickstand, cane if needed, prying or digging tool, a joust, flag holder for being seen easier by traffic, pole for holding up shelter like a tarp... Many uses... Trekking poles collapse small but are not as reliable as a straight piece of aluminum from an old tent pole or a piece of hardwood...

DrewSTNY

Vagabond
Minor update -

I took some time to take my Walmart hiking poles apart and was able to fix the locking mechanism, so now they pretty much work like new!

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.