DIY studs?

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
if you get a pair of pliers you can do it pretty quick through cloth. just push the points of the stud through the cloth and bend them back with pliers. if you're going through leather though you might need to use an xacto or boxcutter to go through the leather first. in which case a stud gun might be easier.. depends on how much spare time and patience you have mostly.

Labea

Reaction score
you can use anything metal to push in the studs, a knife will work, and if they are weak studs, then yes, you can use your hands haha...

i have so many studs, i dont use them anymore... i took all mine with me on the road but only managed to trade off half of em, and gave most of em away.

M

Mouse

I actually bought a Bedazzler cuz I had a 50% off coupon for Joanns. I haven't used it for REAL studs yet, but it works well w/ the lil bitty ones that came with it. Im not too into studding things up but I figured my friends would love to share it.

as for by hand.. a steak knife to start the holes (push the stud into the fabric and note where the prongs made indents and put a tiny starter hole in the correct places) and a table knife to bend the prongs over w/out ruining your fingers works best for me.

Dillinger

Reaction score
I've been to lynchburg shows where all the punks were told to take off their jackets and leave them in a pile, just keep your eye on them.
Here's a picture for Why they said take off the jackets.

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k30/c ... 0_2256.jpg

It was actually this specific show. . .

Now kids in studded jackets in shows like that just don't mix.
"band in the vid is The Skuds"

M

Mouse

the only thing I don't like about studding jakets is that putting a shit ton of metal into your jacket makes it very much so not warm anymore. and VERY heavey

I've got this thing where I put 3 studs in a side-by-side diamond partern <> <> <> on my important pieces of clothing (my leather, my camo hat, my fave beanie, my patch pants, my boot cuffs).. kinda just to say "this belongs to Mouse, if you steal it, you'll die"

Spinelli

Reaction score
I'm gonna do it in leather so i'll practice on sumthin first. I allways wanted my own punk kid jacket since I was li'l one, but I don't like the crusty I gotta have six thousand studs in my jacket thing, I jus want them on the collar y'know nothin too crazy. Thanks for the tips I really appreciate them!

M

Mouse

my old leather had white trim painted on it to make it look tux-like and like 6 studs on the big lapel on the right nad 4 studs on the lil lapel on the left. it was PIMP. I wish I could find a picture of it.

luckily I got a new leather for like 30 bucks as goodwill so I need to dress it up now like my old one.

Dillinger

Reaction score
We always just used paint markers.
I don't think I can name one punk who used actual paint and didn't regret it.
Find these "paint markers" at .. really.... Any art & supply shoppe your town may have.
=)
No specific brand or type or anything.

Spinelli

Reaction score
Ah yes ok, thanks. Oh and doing studs by hand, not so bad I'm glad I din't waste the cash for a puncher. There a little crooked but who cares. Thanks for the help guys.

M

Mouse

Dillinger said:
I stand corrected.
Very good Ms, very good.

I think those paint markers you're talking about use acrylic paint in them.

i've just always had bottles of black and white craft paint laying around cuz i paint a lot an dmake stenciles and shit. So i used to to deck out my leather and it turned out pretty good.

my brother liked the paint markers though cuz he had more control. I'm better w/ a brush than he is.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads