DIY HANDBOOK

S

stinkpickle

Cush wrote:
Fleaheart Klepto wrote:
I have seen a ton of diffrent squat...f bad. i'd post pictures but i'm cameraless.
yeah man i made a similar sounding fanny-pack type thing from a beanie it works rockin' and it stretches to hold kinda big junk..

B

bakerdoo

That book sounds amazing, i read some other reviews on it too. It would be really cool to get a book together ourselves. Is that something on the agenda for the Fest or just something we are going to do in general? I've done bicycle repair for a while at a shop, and know how to homebrew. Let me know if anyone has started this thing

P

punkkus

I'd like to suggest making it entirely of recycled paper, the cost is negligible.

Don't dare forget to add in a section concerning the techniques necessary for making radass tattoo guns otherwise it's fate is sealed... T.P.

D

drifter

count me in, most definitely.
i've got countless diy tricks and tools.
we could also include a section on the diy ethics of the prison industrial complex.
it forces one to be diy as fuck, always has.
after all these years since the system was born the victims were inside concocting all sorts of useful shit out of practically nothing. very handy knowlege.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
drifter wrote:
Especially tattoos!
where should drawings and diagrams be sent if i dont have access to a scanner?

maybe you can take a picture of it with a digital camera if you have access to one. i do that sometimes when i don't have a scanner handy. just make sure to set the focus to the 'close up' setting.

G

Gutters

Lol haven't been on for a while but seems like everyone is buzzing i am going to maek about 100 copies and pass them out at the stp fest and it will have a place in the back of the book on where you can send all of your ideas and recipies so i can make the book bigger

S

shane

i just got a book you should check out for old timey ideas that are ageless!!it's called wildwood wisdom by ellsworth jaeger. i know that theirs a wealth of diy knowledge amongst us all but you should check it out.it shows how to make a bunch of structures from wigwams and tons of other stuff that i never thought of.o ya it's native /mountain man stuff which obviously has animal usage that might offend my vegi/vegan freinds.sorry.but theres alot of great stuff in there.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
Shane's right... jaeger's book rocks.

If you want great stuff, especially about homemade, in the woodsy kinda stuff then DEFINATELY check out the FoxFire Books. they are a series full of that kinda stuff. it's where I learned to brew and distill moonshine, make soap, make my homemade banjo, and lots of other shit. they rock.

K

Kagu

I have a friend who has a huge collection of tattoo d.i.y. type books. If anyones interested I could probably borrow them and send some info, within copyright laws of course;) . Making a diy handbook is an awesome idea though.

5ifth

that foxfire series looks nice - but theres so many of them

i just got a book from the library called Bush Craft - outdoor skills and wilderness survival, by Mors Kochanski - its great it has many different methods just of starting a fire, differnt kinds to light for different situations. lots of cool knife and axe things you can do and some really cool shelters you can build.
Ive also got the book - making stuff & doing things, overall its a great resource for diy methods, but there are a few things in there that are unsafe, dumb, or just not worthwhile

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
yeah, there are a lot, but you'll do fine if you just read the first one or two. I've only read the first four. something to see if they will order for you at the library.

or find them at waldens, rip the front covers off, and leave them on a table somewhere obvious. they'll be in the dumpster the next day.B)

P.S.-- save the covers and tape em back on.;)

S

shane

is any one into the tom brown books??he has outdoor survivaal books and you can find most of them at borders.i've thumbed threw them.i just acuired one today.called living with the earth it's really good.i'm still a bigger fan of the jaeger book.but browns book really gets into breaking down the process of joints,lashing..etc of the structures more.he also has a book on tracking.which dosen't seem that practical??well at least i've never felt a need to track,but i think it would be a cool skill to have!you should check them all out if you haven't yet.they all have something to offer us,wisdom wise.o'yeah the fox books are the shiiiiit!!especially the one that has a huge section on black smithing.i think it's around #7.but i'm not sure??

S

shane

last time i posted on here i mentioned tom browns tracking book.today as i was walking around in the woods i realized that a benefit of reading this book would be not leaving tracks more than following them.if you know how to spot and follow,read tracks.well the better you'll obviously be at really disappearing in the woods when it's really important not to be followed.so may'be in brief this would be a good subject to touch on in the diy book?? actually this would be a great workshop.

F

FrumpyWatkins

shane wrote:
last time i posted on here i mentioned tom browns tracking book.today as i was walking around in the woods i realized that a benefit of reading this book would be not leaving tracks more than following them.if you know how to spot and follow,read tracks.well the better you'll obviously be at really disappearing in the woods when it's really important not to be followed.so may'be in brief this would be a good subject to touch on in the diy book?? actually this would be a great workshop.

My tracking, scouting, and woodsman skills are quite good and I would have much advice to provide if something like this were to be featured in this book idea. Also I'm most likely going to Stp fest and would do a renegade or guerrilla (whatever their calling it, a improv, unscheduled workshop) workshop. I don't want to schedule anything and end up dieing or not making it up there.

R

raptoreb

Much could be said about actually printing and binding the handbook yourself. Book binding is a lost art and isn't all too complicated. Basic bookbinding + gathering free laser printers off craigslist + cheap recycled paper = DIY DIY Handbook. I've just picked up bookbinding seeing as how I can obtain ebooks of many of the books I want to read for cheap. Have two b&w laser printers from craigslist. People give away older HP printers that are work horses and will continue to work despite being almost 20 years old.

if you guys are looking for some DIY stuff but A LOT of wilderness survival stuff that is great from travelers pick up any edition of the SAS survival guide. you can get it in most bookstores and it was well worth the fifteen bucks it set me back. i know that's a lot of money for one book but it's well worth it.

I

Immortal dirty Squirrel

I guess my thing is that information is good.
Paying for it sucks.. I can't bring myself to buy anything like that no matter how cool it is. So... I guess putting it on the internet is a good idea. Or just giving them away.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads