DIY Clothes | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

DIY Clothes

watson

Reaction score
A crotch vent is a zipper on the front bib of overalls that goes all the way from the top of the bib all the way to the fly. At least I think that's what it is.
ah I don't wear bibs I thought it was some punx hacks that vents yer old crusty pants. Tho I'm sure there's a way.

D

Deleted member 14481

I use to be big with iron ons, but I haven't done much DIY since I started traveling. I see patches and buttons being big things, but I want to go into velcro. I afraid sew ons will come off in the wash. I've heard of sewing on with dental floss from an elder punk, though. I'm not much in the mood to do DIY right now, but I'll try to force myself back on it when they weather warms up, unless inspiration and material hits me sooner. I'm in the weird "I wanna do it, but don't wanna do it" space.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
What about making your own oilskin? Anyone have any experience making pants, jacket, bibs or even a tarp? Was thinking of doing a pair of bibs and a poncho combo with ironoxied instead of beeswax in the linseed oil. It's far more cost effective than beeswax and you dont get the waxy finish. Plus it adds a rust color to whatever its applied to.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Sewing with dental floss always worked best for me. But I rarely repair my clothes. Only if I want to keep something so damaged I couldn't wear it anymore without doing some sewing. Otherwise I wear my clothes until they are almost destroyed and then replace them with something from a flea market or alike.

For shoes I often used (super-)glue and duct tape. If I happened to have really good tape it held up even in rain.

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
What about making your own oilskin? Anyone have any experience making pants, jacket, bibs or even a tarp? Was thinking of doing a pair of bibs and a poncho combo with ironoxied instead of beeswax in the linseed oil. It's far more cost effective than beeswax and you dont get the waxy finish. Plus it adds a rust color to whatever its applied to.

If youre trying to make tin cloth or oilskin the beeswax is a fairly important part of the equation. But you can find it fairly cheeply if you know were to go. I got most of mine from my local bee keepers club. The D and F grade wax is more or less garbage for them it cant be used for much these days. You could dive some bees wax candles from a thrift store. Ive found plenty but never used them to wax something. There is also an old school trick of using NEW wax toilet rings. These were 100 percent bees wax and oddly cheap to buy. I'm sure these days there made with something else but you never know when you will run across old stock.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads