Different types of travelers

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So is an oogle device an iPhone? wouldn't it be a droid?

speaking of, I have a joke:
Why did stormtroopers buy iphones?
Because they couldn't find the droids they were looking for.

idk probably more iphone.. theyre more of a status symbol than android based phones

Primitive

Reaction score
Hey yeah I could clear up some of those.... they all get too intertwined and mixed up but I'm one to clarify the mix ups for you.

1. what the other guy said, pretty much just a poser, but get's overused too often I think, I personally think it's a stupid word. "to each one teach one" I like to say.

2. crust punks!!! This is where all the confusion is... everyone seems to think everybody who squats, travels, rides trains, or hell is even a punk livin on the streets is a "crusty". WRONG! There's also too many people calling themselves crusties who aren't. If you're into crust punk, you identify with the scene, and are all into it this and that, then you're a crust punk. I'd say more crusties live in houses then not, a lot of crust punks actually tend to have jobs, a lot are also actually straight edge. So just cause they got dreads, a rat tail, and listen to punk and live on the streets don't mean they're actual crusties.

2. gutter punks: Another thing that crusties get confused as, although I've seen plenty of crusty gutter punks. the gutter punk lives for booze, sometimes heroin, and is usually loud, usually has a raspy voice, and is ALWAYS quick to fight or argue, the gutter punk lives for booze and violence! And really doesn't give a fuck. They usually tend to be more into the lifestyle then the music, as some don't know bands beyond the typical discharge/black flag/gbh.

3. trainhoppers: of course there's the whole train riding hobo culture among itself, but it's really for anybody.

4. traveling kids: ok this is getting stupid really I just wanted to point out the difference between crusties/gutter punks and how not all travelin punks are crusties.

5. crusties: same fuckin thing as crust punk!

janktoaster

Reaction score
I heard the term "oogle" originated because these types of people stood out the most, and normal folk would "ogle" at them.. which makes sense to me

Charlie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Does that make the ducky an oogle?

How about the business man? Is he an oogle?

I need to know, in case if I get the sudden urge to call somebody an oogle, then I want to be sure I'm not simply prejudiced and that I am discriminating accordingly.

Attachments

• oogle duck.jpg
    oogle duck.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 273
  • business man hobo.jpg
    business man hobo.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

janktoaster

Reaction score
I guess if you stare long enough, everyone's an oogle

Reactions: DesertRat and Odin

janktoaster

Reaction score
Well, that's a good question.. I don't want to ogle an oogle and I don't want an oogle to ogle.

janktoaster

Reaction score
After all of this oogling and ogling, my brain feels boggled..

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
Hey guys, I don't suppose I can use some of these definitions in my papers and projects do you? I will appropriately cite anything I use. Getting the definitions directly from the mouths of those being labeled will give me far more accurate data.

Thanks

Thorne

janktoaster

Reaction score
I don't see why not

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
I figured I would throw in my .02 here since it's interesting seeing what everyone's definitions are. My opinions come from the past 15 years of traveling, but I don't consider them any more valid than anyone else's, it's just what I grew up with.

1) Oogles -- These are the types of travelers that will say they've been train hopping for six years because the hopped a train once six years ago. Like others have said, they can be thought of as the 'posers' of the train hopping world, but that's only half the story.

The also tend to embody the worst of travel culture and are the root of most stereotypes about travelers. They're the ones you hear stories about begging for change while on their cellphone kicking their emaciated dog and drinking a sidewalk slam.

The above is true as well, the term 'oogle' really only meant a homeless junky up until around 2007 or so when it got generally re-defined as the above.

2) Crustpunks / Gutterpunks / Crusties -- Are all pretty much the same thing. Punk kids with patches and spikes, hanging out on the streets drinking booze. They may or may not travel.

The above is fairly accurate, but it's not like a train hopper never hitchhikes, in fact, there's no way you're going to not have to hitchhike at some point if you're train hopping. it's pretty much impossible to avoid. That train don't do door to door service.

I also think that there's way too much emphasis on being a 'train hopper' these days. Like it's an elite class of wanderer or something. The truth is, train hopping overall isn't hard, or there would be a lot less people doing it. Don't get caught, don't get killed, get to your destination, and guess what, you win.

I've never introduced myself as, "Hello. My name is Matt Derrick... and I'm a train hopper." Train hoppers are travelers like anybody else.

Actually, this is the main reason for my reply. This needs to be defined, since I think it's the class most good travelers fall into.

Being a traveler 'kid' has nothing to do with age, but rather someone that's a part of your subcultural community. I call folks older than myself (34) 'kids' all the time. To me, a 'traveler kid' is someone that wanders around the world in a gypsy-type fashion, but also generally has their shit together.

They might be punk-ish in appearance, but more often aren't, or look just like regular people. They usually have slightly above average gear that they worked hard for (but aren't opposed to getting it for free from corporations), aren't super dirty, and generally treat others the way they want to be treated.

I also feel like traveler kids are more likely to seek out work, although mostly seasonally, as a way to finance future travels. They're pretty much the antithesis of the oogle.

thanks for sharing that, it's actually pretty refreshing to know that things aren't all the same on this subject around the world. the definitions in the UK seem nicer :D

I agree with your definitions.
When I first heard the term oogle it would have been 2008 and some american kids used it to describe someone who was pretty much a strung out "home bum". I feel like oogle didn't find it's way into Canadian terminology until 2011. That summer everyone was a oogle, the definition changed with everyone one you asked and on an almost weekly basis. I've always used it in both a derogatory way as well as a term of endearment.

I think it's kind of funny how much defining the term oogle gets brought up. For a group of (mostly) white, middle class kids they sure get their panties in a bunch over a term that may or may not be offensive.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
k i aint gonna touch on the other labels becausr theyre basically so interchangeable the details dont matter but heres what i know about OOGLE. when i first started hearing oogle in 09 it meant that someone was real green, probly had their parents money, lied about what they had done and where they been, blew up the spot etc... Now i hear all kinds of people using it to describe anyone with a pack regardless if they know em or not. which i think is bullshIT

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
also funny side note. when the new orleans newspaper talks about crusties spanging/getting locked up/deadly squat fire '10 (rip) they specifically say the "gutterpunks". kinda funny considering how outdated the term is

Reactions: janktoaster

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads