Different types of travelers

soquel

Reaction score
Since definitions differ geographically and change over time, I'm curious: how would you define/what are the differences between these terms:

1. Oogles
2. Crustpunks
3. Gutterpunks
4. Trainhoppers
5. Traveling Kids
6. Crusties

Or are they all the same thing to you?

Thanks for the info,

Soquel

D

Desert

1. Oogles - Vermin rats who pretend to have street smarts. Another word for "oogle" could be "poser." These are typically the kids who run away from home because they think it's cool, and when it gets too dark or too cold they call their mommies on their iPhone crying asking to drive the 15 minutes to the train yard to pick them up.

2-3. Crustpunks/gutterpunks - I may be wrong, but these are basically the same thing. kinda like the difference between different breeds of dogs...

4. Trainhoppers - Hop trains. A person who hitchhikes is not a trainhopper. A rubber tramp is not a trainhopper. A trainhopper....... hops trains. Not to be confused with the crying teenagers by the rail yard who will claim to be expert train riders.

5. Traveling kids - come on dude..

6. Crusties - Someone who doesn't clean themselves up, or is just straight up gross, usually because they don't give a shit. / can also have the same meaning as crust/gutter punks.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Forgot scumfucks too lol.

What are people who travel via hitching and hopping on occasions?That actually keep themselfs decently cleaned and maintained and are GETTING SHIT DONE?

That is I.

I consider myself a traveling southern man just getting SHIT DONE SON its all i know!

Haha.

Fuck labels and if you use em fuck you too <3

Love you all tho you dirty little kids posting from your Oogledevices.

Much love <333 :3

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
sigh......not this shit again

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i don't see what the big deal is nowadays with having to label people as this or that. i mean, i know it's in people's nature to do that....maybe it's a kind of survival mechanism on some subconcious level but i've noticed there seems to be a sort of elitist feel to people in some traveling circles. like people that spange the "yuppies" and then dis them and talk shit about them when someone doesn't give them change they feel they are entitled to for some reason. or calling some newbie on the road an "oogle" just because you've been riding the rails for a couple years and think you are the king of the road already. i don't care if you are an oogle, a junky, a trust-fund kid, a college droup-out, or an old hobo who served in vietnam....if you are a douchebag you are a douche bag if you are a decent human being you are a decent human being. fuck labeling..k done ranting

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't see what the big deal is nowadays with having to label people as this or that. i mean, i know it's in people's nature to do that....maybe it's a kind of survival mechanism on some subconcious level but i've noticed there seems to be a sort of elitist feel to people in some traveling circles. like people that spange the "yuppies" and then dis them and talk shit about them when someone doesn't give them change they feel they are entitled to for some reason. or calling some newbie on the road an "oogle" just because you've been riding the rails for a couple years and think you are the king of the road already. i don't care if you are an oogle, a junky, a trust-fund kid, a college droup-out, or an old hobo who served in vietnam....if you are a douchebag you are a douche bag if you are a decent human being you are a decent human being. fuck labeling..k done ranting

i definitely agree with you, the amount of elitism in certain circles sucks. I mean, the way i see it, a lot of us got into punk or traveling or whatever subcultural circles we dwell in these days simply to escape the elitism and torment of others that just thought they were better than everyone else, yet a lot of folks turn around and just create the same clicks that we were trying to break free of in high school. overall i think we should be more accepting of people into our culture no matter what they look like or dress as, or what music their into, etc.

Someone define oogledevice please.

ah, i don't think that's a word people actually use in real life, but in this instance the person is referring to mobile phones.

soquel

Reaction score
Wow—not what I expected. I just wanted to provoke a conversation about how people from different parts of the country have different names for the same things. Apparently some people aren't big enough to realize that their own mental frameworks or notions about things aren't "correct," but merely circumstantial. Damn.

Also, the whole "poser" response is so childish. As long as people are doing their best to survive, and live meaningful lives, who gives a fuck where they're from?

Reactions: johnnymarie

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Also, the whole "poser" response is so childish. As long as people are doing their best to survive, and live meaningful lives, who gives a fuck where they're from?

agreed, which is why you'll never see me calling people 'oogles' 99% of the time (the other 1% is when they really, really deserve it).

P

pigpen

I've noticed a shift in the way the term "oogle" is used. A lot of people seem to think oogle is synonymous with traveler or dirty kid, like it's not an insult anymore.

A long time friend of mine who's never traveled by rail or hitched referred to my partner and I as "oogles" not to be offensive, but as if it were our preferred prefix or some shit. I looked at him kinda cross and explained the reason for doing so. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a term of endearment, it's an insult. I blame LATFO...

D

Deleted member 20

I think this traveler class system is purely in the US/CA. In europe their is a huge backpacker culture with supporting infrastructure that is accepted by all. Here in the US, we cant even accept each other, forget about the general population of non travelers who have to put up with us. I personally dont use the term. It is an insult especially when thrown around from some young punk online who dont know shit & hasnt done much of anything, traveling included.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
i definitely agree with you, the amount of elitism in certain circles sucks. I mean, the way i see it, a lot of us got into punk or traveling or whatever subcultural circles we dwell in these days simply to escape the elitism and torment of others that just thought they were better than everyone else, yet a lot of folks turn around and just create the same clicks that we were trying to break free of in high school. overall i think we should be more accepting of people into our culture no matter what they look like or dress as, or what music their into, etc.

I really have a problem with the prevalence of elitism and judgmental behavior in general as if there's some handbook on how to be a travelling kid, gutter/crustpunk, or whatever and if you don't follow it to the letter, holy shit get ready to get trolled and flamed like you've never been before. Like Matt said this isn't high school, and it shouldn't be a contest to see who can do the best job of conforming to some subcultural stereotype.

Let people be themselves and keep an open mind about stuff, because you might just be surprised (in a good way) at what happens.

soquel

Reaction score
Pigpen—that's an interesting point. So do you think there has been a sort of reappropriation of the term "oogle?"

I'm curious about why you "blame LATFO" for this shift, as if using "oogle" in a non-derogatory way is somehow bad or wrong. Definitions of words change over time, and i don't see why the word "oogle" should be an exception to that trend.

Although, I think I know where you're coming from on this issue—namely that LATFO perpetuates a stereotype that could be construed as hindering/harming the larger squatter/traveler community.

P

pigpen

Pigpen—that's an interesting point. So do you think there has been a sort of reappropriation of the term "oogle?"

I'm curious about why you "blame LATFO" for this shift, as if using "oogle" in a non-derogatory way is somehow bad or wrong. Definitions of words change over time, and i don't see why the word "oogle" should be an exception to that trend.

Although, I think I know where you're coming from on this issue—namely that LATFO perpetuates a stereotype that could be construed as hindering/harming the larger squatter/traveler community.

That last "I blame LATFO" part was kind of a joke. Kind of.

And I don't feel like the word oogle should need be re-appropriated in the way that other words could (i.e. nigger or faggot ) because it's describing a negative persona or behavior that someone chooses to engage in. Opposed to words like nigger and faggot which attack traits that aren't negative (being queer or dark skinned) with the sole purpose of alienating or demeaning someone.

In short, there's always gonna be oogles from here on out and the word "oogle" is way easier to say than "that asshole who blows up spots and generally acts like an entitled fuck-head"

• Sad
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score

ah, i don't think that's a word people actually use in real life, but in this instance the person is referring to mobile phones.

Haha, I got it, I was just trying to make a joke though.

rugburn

Reaction score
I personally hate those titles I frequently get referred to as either an oogle or atrusty kid simply for the fact that my grear is top quality and I own a nice tablet but in reality I have all these things because I save my money to get them instead of blowing it all on booze or drugs if I need something I male it my goal to get it not wait for it to get kicked down to me I just don't feel the need for labels to be used it just childish

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads