Different types of travelers

D

Desert

I feel like I need to throw this tidbit of info in here. and I want everyone to understand that I'm not trying to be a dick about this:

I hope that none of you who have read this thread are looking down on me for defining those words or looking down on soquel for asking (I don't think anyone is, i'm just sayin..). I agree with everyone else in that the use of labels are definitely not needed. I personally hate the ones discussed here because I think that just serves to separate us.

But the fact still remains that these words are used. Frequently I might add. They are used on these forums and they are certainly used on the streets; and as much as we dislike them, I don't see them going away anytime soon.

It's not a crime to want to know the meaning behind the words we hear and read so often. I feel like in this day and age people have to apologize just for fucking breathing..

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
idk from what my understanding is, theres like the older terms which were just like your main means of travel like

rubbertramp: cars/busses
leathertramp:walking and hitchin
freight riders: ride trains
traveling folk: travelers lol

for the others, theyre just kinda stereotypes based on where youre from I think...

and then like oogle, Ive been told numerous things for this... like from some really old folk told me it used to mean like the scummy junkie street kid type, and then it turned into like a noob type thing. and now its just whatever for the most part, like joking amongst friends, unless its really meant.

street punks I just always had the assumption that they were the fancy punks with all the studs and painted jackets, had homes and stuff chilled on streets and such

gutter punks I thought were like that between area for crusties and street punks... kinds just like street kids... punks that lived out on the street, but they weren't full on crust fucks

crust punks, I just always pictured them as the grimey punks, with that intense music, dirty as fuck, usually homebumin/squatting/traveling... I don't know man... tend to like that dope and such like drinkin lol

and crusties, I just pictured them as the grimey type that don't really give a fuck, like theyre content with the filth and such... also likes dope and drinkin

trusties- them rich kids that go a lil bit on mom and pappys expense, and have no worries because they'll get bailed out if anything happens, and they have a nice place to go back to and whatnot

shit that's just if I had to like work at it and narrow it down into stereotypes... don't really see why it matters...

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Ever since LATFO it seems that "oogle" is becoming less and less of an insult and more of just a generic term for "dirty traveler kid seen spanging in a metro area." When used as an insult it was usually to refer to imply that an individual presented themselves as a broke traveler, but was actually well off and housed and was only in it for the fashion and the 40's.

Personally I always thought of oogles as foamers (people who are obsessed with looking at and taking pictures of trains) but instead of actual trains, oogles are obsessed with spotting and meeting hobo's (like everyone on this site). In the same way I hear people bitch about young oogles blowing up yards and just being dumb, I've heard rail workers bitch about foamers who trespass on rr property, dress like they work for the rr and get injured doing stupid shit.

Just the way I view it though. Words mean whatever we want them to.

rugburn

Reaction score
Although not historically the same the word oogle Is the same as the word nigger is used as an insult towards an ignorant idividual however the word nigga which is a variation of the word nigger is used as a more affectionate term of endearment as is the word oogle when used in a similair context .just my take

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This
Although not historically the same the word oogle Is the same as the word nigger is used as an insult towards an ignorant idividual however the word nigga which is a variation of the word nigger is used as a more affectionate term of endearment as is the word oogle when used in a similair context .just my take
is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while... It has always just been a racial slur... The whole ignorant thing was just something bigots came up with in modern times to "get away" with saying it with out sounding like a racist prick

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
It's funny reading this thread because other than Crustie, we don't use any of these terms in Britain. We don't have
1. Oogles
2. Crustpunks
3. Gutterpunks
4. Trainhoppers
5. Traveling Kids

I've had to learn all about these from this forum and looking stuff up on the internet.

If somebody over here refers to someone as being a traveller it's usually assumed they mean they are either an Irish/English/Welsh/Scottish Traveller, Romani gypsy or perhaps New Age Traveller. It would mean that they live in a caravan or were horse drawn or maybe live in a van.

The word 'Pikey' gets used a lot over here. Its a derogatory term to describe travellers, although I know a lot of travellers who use the word to describe themselves. Others would find it a real insult. I don't know if you use the word 'Pikey' in the States, or if it has the same meaning. I used to live in a van with horse drawn gypsies and they referred to themselves and me as a 'Pikey' but I wouldn't take being called it from a non-traveller.

We have squatters, tramps, street people, street drinkers and homeless.

If you get called a train hopper here it just means you bunked on a passenger train without buying a ticket. A 'Crustie' is a bit like a hippy. Someone with dreadlocks who is a bit scruffy, probably vegan and talks about anarchy and buddhism a lot! We have 'Trustafarians' which are just crusties with money, who squat because its cool but can always go home to their mummy and daddy and massive house when they need to!

I've been called a 'jakey' before which is Scottish slang for a street drinker. Doesn't bother me, but it isn't really a term of endearment!

My name on this forum came from a time when we were being evicted from a squat and a man in the neighbouring house was shouting at us calling us really nasty things and this other man walked passed and said "Calm down, they're just Land Pirates" I really liked that. ::eyepatch::

I would say that in the UK most people would describe young people travelling around, hitchhiking and doing the sort of stuff people on here are up to as 'Backpackers'

* Sorry I wrote so much, I'm quite high right now and got really into typing!::wideeyed::

JillyBoe

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I was always told an oogle was somebody who lived in a house but would go spange and dress in hobo/tramp fashion. I've really only ever heard it used derogatorily in Portland yelled at this girl who was staying in a shelter and out spanging on the corner by some scumfuck.
I really don't get hating on anyone in this lifestyle, I mean we all get judged by people everyday doing what we do. So why judge one another?
I get the labeling, it's just human nature to try and describe somebody. I'll find myself saying "that black guy" or "that gay kid" and I never mean it to be a bad thing, I'm just trying to paint a basic description of somebody. Let's face it, people fall under stereotypes. It's not good to generalize on them and judge but, I'll laugh and call my best friend a dirty scum fuck.

P

pigpen

We're getting off topic here, but for the sake of clarity, the word nigger (or nigga) is NOT a term of endearment by any means. It can be used when describing friend or foe.

for example "I came home the other night and saw pete breaking in to my car, so I beat that nigga up and down the street with a 2x4."

White folk say the darndest things.

MFB

Reaction score
I think Mr. Santana said it best; "words mean whatever we want them to mean". It's all about perception, and everyone's is different.

Those are terms oversimplified ideas of people or groups. And while I believe there are a large amount of shitty kids that do fit perfectly into those stereotypes, (the kids that make fun of you for buying groceries while simultaneously eating all you food), most of us would agree that we transcend any one fixed type of person.

I.E., I like to travel, but Im not just a traveller. I'm a cyclist, a chef, an athlete, a gardener, a musician, a mountaineer, an artist, a lover, etc.

slimJack

Reaction score
This

is the most ignorant thing I've heard in a while... It has always just been a racial slur... The whole ignorant thing was just something bigots came up with in modern times to "get away" with saying it with out sounding like a racist prick
being what a racist would refer to as a nigger, i agree 110%
We're getting off topic here, but for the sake of clarity, the word nigger (or nigga) is NOT a term of endearment by any means. It can be used when describing friend or foe.

for example "I came home the other night and saw pete breaking in to my car, so I beat that nigga up and down the street with a 2x4."

White folk say the darndest things.
at pigpen.. i guess ur saying 'nigger' or 'nigga' arent terms of endearment?.. i agree, 50 percent.. because i, being whatracist call a nigger, use the word 'nigga' on the daily to address my closest friends black a

slimJack

Reaction score
*and white, in a non derogatory fashion. where im from its the same as saying bro or kid or duded..now when u replace that "a" with an "er" thats when u are forced to bite the sidewalk..but yea this is off topic. sorry admins..but as far as labels, fuck em for the most part. i just respect the real, so if ur a poser, u probly aint round me so id have no reason to use the word oogle

Disco

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a bunch of horse shit. If someone is traveling, hell if someone is just walking. Let them walk and keep your delusions to yourself. We have enough division in our society as it is... Isn't that why most of us renounce it?

Reactions: sketchytravis

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I figured I would throw in my .02 here since it's interesting seeing what everyone's definitions are. My opinions come from the past 15 years of traveling, but I don't consider them any more valid than anyone else's, it's just what I grew up with.

1) Oogles -- These are the types of travelers that will say they've been train hopping for six years because the hopped a train once six years ago. Like others have said, they can be thought of as the 'posers' of the train hopping world, but that's only half the story.

The also tend to embody the worst of travel culture and are the root of most stereotypes about travelers. They're the ones you hear stories about begging for change while on their cellphone kicking their emaciated dog and drinking a sidewalk slam.

like from some really old folk told me it used to mean like the scummy junkie street kid type, and then it turned into like a noob type thing. and now its just whatever for the most part, like joking amongst friends, unless its really meant.

The above is true as well, the term 'oogle' really only meant a homeless junky up until around 2007 or so when it got generally re-defined as the above.

2) Crustpunks / Gutterpunks / Crusties -- Are all pretty much the same thing. Punk kids with patches and spikes, hanging out on the streets drinking booze. They may or may not travel.

4. Trainhoppers - Hop trains. A person who hitchhikes is not a trainhopper. A rubber tramp is not a trainhopper. A trainhopper....... hops trains.

The above is fairly accurate, but it's not like a train hopper never hitchhikes, in fact, there's no way you're going to not have to hitchhike at some point if you're train hopping. it's pretty much impossible to avoid. That train don't do door to door service.

I also think that there's way too much emphasis on being a 'train hopper' these days. Like it's an elite class of wanderer or something. The truth is, train hopping overall isn't hard, or there would be a lot less people doing it. Don't get caught, don't get killed, get to your destination, and guess what, you win.

I've never introduced myself as, "Hello. My name is Matt Derrick... and I'm a train hopper." Train hoppers are travelers like anybody else.

5. Traveling kids - come on dude..

Actually, this is the main reason for my reply. This needs to be defined, since I think it's the class most good travelers fall into.

Being a traveler 'kid' has nothing to do with age, but rather someone that's a part of your subcultural community. I call folks older than myself (34) 'kids' all the time. To me, a 'traveler kid' is someone that wanders around the world in a gypsy-type fashion, but also generally has their shit together.

They might be punk-ish in appearance, but more often aren't, or look just like regular people. They usually have slightly above average gear that they worked hard for (but aren't opposed to getting it for free from corporations), aren't super dirty, and generally treat others the way they want to be treated.

I also feel like traveler kids are more likely to seek out work, although mostly seasonally, as a way to finance future travels. They're pretty much the antithesis of the oogle.

It's funny reading this thread because other than Crustie, we don't use any of these terms in Britain. We don't have
1. Oogles
2. Crustpunks
3. Gutterpunks
4. Trainhoppers
5. Traveling Kids

I've had to learn all about these from this forum and looking stuff up on the internet.

If somebody over here refers to someone as being a traveller it's usually assumed they mean they are either an Irish/English/Welsh/Scottish Traveller, Romani gypsy or perhaps New Age Traveller. It would mean that they live in a caravan or were horse drawn or maybe live in a van.

The word 'Pikey' gets used a lot over here. Its a derogatory term to describe travellers, although I know a lot of travellers who use the word to describe themselves. Others would find it a real insult. I don't know if you use the word 'Pikey' in the States, or if it has the same meaning. I used to live in a van with horse drawn gypsies and they referred to themselves and me as a 'Pikey' but I wouldn't take being called it from a non-traveller.

We have squatters, tramps, street people, street drinkers and homeless.

If you get called a train hopper here it just means you bunked on a passenger train without buying a ticket. A 'Crustie' is a bit like a hippy. Someone with dreadlocks who is a bit scruffy, probably vegan and talks about anarchy and buddhism a lot! We have 'Trustafarians' which are just crusties with money, who squat because its cool but can always go home to their mummy and daddy and massive house when they need to!

I've been called a 'jakey' before which is Scottish slang for a street drinker. Doesn't bother me, but it isn't really a term of endearment!

My name on this forum came from a time when we were being evicted from a squat and a man in the neighbouring house was shouting at us calling us really nasty things and this other man walked passed and said "Calm down, they're just Land Pirates" I really liked that. ::eyepatch::

I would say that in the UK most people would describe young people travelling around, hitchhiking and doing the sort of stuff people on here are up to as 'Backpackers'

* Sorry I wrote so much, I'm quite high right now and got really into typing!::wideeyed::

thanks for sharing that, it's actually pretty refreshing to know that things aren't all the same on this subject around the world. the definitions in the UK seem nicer :D

tiltedkitten

Reaction score
i don't see what the big deal is nowadays with having to label people as this or that. i mean, i know it's in people's nature to do that....maybe it's a kind of survival mechanism on some subconcious level but i've noticed there seems to be a sort of elitist feel to people in some traveling circles. like people that spange the "yuppies" and then dis them and talk shit about them when someone doesn't give them change they feel they are entitled to for some reason. or calling some newbie on the road an "oogle" just because you've been riding the rails for a couple years and think you are the king of the road already. i don't care if you are an oogle, a junky, a trust-fund kid, a college droup-out, or an old hobo who served in vietnam....if you are a douchebag you are a douche bag if you are a decent human being you are a decent human being. fuck labeling..k done ranting
thank you much truth here

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score
Since definitions differ geographically and change over time, I'm curious: how would you define/what are the differences between these terms:

1. Oogles
2. Crustpunks
3. Gutterpunks
4. Trainhoppers
5. Traveling Kids
6. Crusties

Or are they all the same thing to you?

Thanks for the info,

Soquel

crusties gutterpunks and crustpunks are all just the same group of people

then traveling kids could be trainhoppers, but aren't necessarily(could also be hitchhikers, leather tramps, rubber tramps, whatever)

Edit: after reading the whole thread, I realise I've just reitterated what's been said many times before except with much less detail.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads