Did I get ripped off on my bag?

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
8811 breezewood drive Pittsburgh pa 15237
hey everyone, recently I ordered a medium Alice pack (super original, I know) and I have it now and the thing is pretty fucking small. Like honestly I'm not sure if they even sent me a medium. Maybe it was a small by mistake because this thing is pretty small for something called a medium. I'm packing very light and I'm gonna have a really hard time fitting everything in it. This thing is like not even that much bigger than like a regular backpack that kids wear to school. It actual GI, and it has a warrenty for a bit so I can still return it. I was wondering if there's a way to tell if the bag is medium or small. Also if it is indeed a medium I feel like I can probably get away with strapping my sleeping bag underneath the pack and then everything might fit. If that's the case should I do that or upgrade to the next size up? I can post pictures if that would be helpful.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Coywolf and Odin

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
hey everyone, recently I ordered a medium Alice pack (super original, I know) and I have it now and the thing is pretty fucking small. Like honestly I'm not sure if they even sent me a medium. Maybe it was a small by mistake because this thing is pretty small for something called a medium. I'm packing very light and I'm gonna have a really hard time fitting everything in it. This thing is like not even that much bigger than like a regular backpack that kids wear to school. It actual GI, and it has a warrenty for a bit so I can still return it. I was wondering if there's a way to tell if the bag is medium or small. Also if it is indeed a medium I feel like I can probably get away with strapping my sleeping bag underneath the pack and then everything might fit. If that's the case should I do that or upgrade to the next size up? I can post pictures if that would be helpful.
Anymore then 80 bucks.. rip off

Reactions: BenAxeMan

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah a pic would be helpful so we could tell you for sure. it's been ages since i've owned an alice pack, but i don't remember any of them being big enough to store both a sleeping bag and your gear. most of them you have to strap the sleeping bag to the outside.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I had one that was a medium about two years ago. It was not able to hold very much. I was able to stuff my sleeping bag in it however I only was able to carry a few clothing items because the lack of space and I had to keep my military blanket rolled up on and attached to the top of it.

As suggested a photo would be helpful. Either tho it might not be as big as you had imagined the back pack that you purchased is still a great investment if you got what you paid for. Very tough and durable and is one of my favorite bags to travel with when traveling the rails. You might have to make some sacrifices pertaining to what or what not to bring.

Know this isn't the answer your looking for. Anyways safe travels and if your able to attached a photo to this post so we can see it. Safe travels friend.

BenAxeMan

Reaction score
8811 breezewood drive Pittsburgh pa 15237
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've come to terms with the fact that this might be a medium and that a medium is much smaller than I thought which is okay. As I said I think this can work if I strap my sleepi bag below the pack. Any tips on how to do so? It's an MSS troop bag.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I've heard those frames are pretty prone to breaking.

This site has good deals on alice packs: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/us-alice-medium-pack-with-frame-woodland-surplus/1306

With the Canadian version of the Alice system (64 pattern jump rucksack we call it), Sleeping bags were put into separate bags called valices which were strapped above the main bag, then everything was cinched down with a pair of straps to tighten it all.

I've never owned an Alice personally, but I had always thought the Americans had a similar system using theirs?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't know how much you paid for your alice pack, but if you're willing to invest just a little more (around $100) you'll have waaay more options available, and you should have no problem getting a pack with good back support and around 2,000-3,000 cubic inches of carrying space.

i have two articles i've written here that you might find useful:

https://squattheplanet.com/articles/the-poor-mans-guide-to-buying-shit-online.24/
https://squattheplanet.com/articles/squat-the-planets-ultimate-gear-guide.48/

N

Notmyname

The Teton sports explorer 4000. I got mine a year ago for 60 and it's still in good shape. The zipper pulls broke(zippers still work though) and the waist buckle failing occasionally are the only issues I've had with it. Now at sub 25 lbs I don't even really need the waist buckle.

A

AlwaysLost

A Large Alice pack will break your back amyways. You end up shoving all this crap into it that you cannot even carry it lol. Unless you are young and seasoned.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads