December Suicide Awareness | Squat the Planet

December Suicide Awareness

PrisMiQue

Reaction score
Yesterday there was a 25 year old guy who committed suicide in the city I live in. He was confronted by cops and he was yelling at them to kill him and then went at them with a knife so they did.
I was asked to watch the video and I declined. I would post but I can't get myself to watch it.

Everyone is going thru shit so please be especially less of an asshole then you normally would be if you normally are... anyways just spreading awareness.

And if you are feeling somewhat down you aren't alone. The holidays can be hard times.
This may sound cheesy but Iam here if anyone needs to talk/vent. I'm no counselor but Maybe I can bring some warmth during these cold times.

salxtina

Reaction score
Thanks for writing this, PMQ.
An online-friend of mine died by probable suicide in Wisconson earlier this month. It was awful because he'd been locked in a mental hospital briefly at the end of the summer, and when he got out they fucking put a "court order" on him so he was forced to keep taking psych meds.

RIP Alex. He was an artist, I'd like to share some of his art here, this was his deviantart gallery:
http://sharkshock.deviantart.com/gallery/

Reactions: PrisMiQue

PrisMiQue

Reaction score
Im not great with words, but yeah thats sad :-( i know what it's like cause ive suffered major depression in the past and have wanted to die

Depression is a one of the leading causes of death. It can really get a hold of a person and we as people have a duty to help others whether it be with a few kind words or a hug.

You my friend are brave for admitting this because that is seriously something a lot of people cant do.

it starts with peace of mind, its realizing shit is what it is and there are ways to be happy despite it. There are ways to make things better, if you cant control the situation you can control your mind set about it/actions.

Now there are chemical imbalances that are associated with depression and mental disorders that you may not be able to fix because your mind just isn't stable.

I believe diet is a huge factor and although some may have a genetically disposition to mental disorders with diet and a healthy lifestyle people maybe able to prevent triggering it.

Although, certain types of mental disorders do need a stronger/ more complex method to maintain stability such as schizophrenia.

I hope you have found or are on a path of having peace of mind.

Reactions: Mankini and Odin

PrisMiQue

Reaction score
Thanks for writing this, PMQ.
An online-friend of mine died by probable suicide in Wisconson earlier this month. It was awful because he'd been locked in a mental hospital briefly at the end of the summer, and when he got out they fucking put a "court order" on him so he was forced to keep taking psych meds.

RIP Alex. He was an artist, I'd like to share some of his art here, this was his deviantart gallery:
http://sharkshock.deviantart.com/gallery/

Having a loved one admitted and having a mental disorder is a very difficult thing to go through. I have seen meds work for some and I have seen people refuse them for their own rightful reasons.
I have a loved on who is refusing meds except they are not stable what so every. He is constantly thinking people are out to get him and wants to seek revenge upon them in some form. This is dangerous thinking and scares the shit out of me because he has been incarcerated for attacking and admitted into hospitals for his illness. I know meds arent always the answer because they can have a very suicidal affect when using or discontinuing use. Theres just no one med that helps and finding the right one is what i call the "guinea pig stage". Person is pretty much trialed for months maybe years to see what works.

Im truly sorry to hear about your friend, its a very sensitive & complex situation to know what is best for that person, meds or not.
I hope you are doing ok. <3

Reactions: Odin

salxtina

Reaction score
Yeah, really sorry about that man in your town, PMQ.

Solidarity, Aussie Timm. I have suicidal urges sometimes too, I'm pretty angry about it because the main causes feel cultural / social, but in general I feel like I'm pretty safe and pretty resilient and wouldn't really act on it.

Sometimes I self-medicate, but I don't fux with doctors. In the end, it's everybody's own choice, how they want to deal with their suffering, and if they want to keep living or not. But the law lets doctors and courts force shit on people, for months or years at a time, taking away people's control of their own body and even their freedom of thought, it's invasive and brutal and there's no excuse for it. We need to get better at making space for each other, so we don't fall through the cracks or get dragnetted by the system, and accept that we can't always understand or change what other people are thinking, all we can do is be there.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i definitely had some of my own issues with depression when i was younger, but i really think traveling helped me work out of that. not that it would work for everyone, but it did wonders for me... today i'm pretty lucky since i usually don't get like that at all anymore.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
unfortunately our culture is extortionist in nature..

we don't see 'working together fairly'

we see (or are taught to see) "getting the most you can for as little as possible"

this fucks people up & kills them, for no other reason than that good people desire to be something other than self-interested...

Sarong

Reaction score
The holidays r the worst for lots im sure. I know they r for me. Ive nvr considered suicide per say, but have wished I was dead on more than 1 occasion :'( Sometimes it seems life is so unfair and its hard when u feel like u dont belong newhere, that no1 cares, and u feel like u have no purpose in lifes grand scheme. I dont always feel this way and i just try to make it thru the given day. If tomorrow comes....its a new day and who knows something good could happen!! Just - Keepin it Real <3

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for making a thread to bring this up at the holidays @PrisMiQue
It's good to see others are willing to listen and that folks should reach out if they need help.
I know I deal with depression through drinking and my own lame sense of humor.
Other than the crazy people stuff in my life... I think what gets me kinda loopy sometimes is some real serious EXISTENTIAL ANGST.
I mean the whole shebang...
WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED LIFE? WHY ARE WE HERE? WHERE ARE WE GOING? HOW DOES THE UNIVERSE WORK? DOES IT HAVE ANY MEANING? WHAT IS THE MATRIX?

Funny but serious, this stuff can drive me crazy some nights... ::arrgh::
Even makes me consider adopting nihilism. ::cyclops::

Sometimes listening to lectures from folks like Terence McKenna or Alan Watts helps me... ohhhhmmmmm ::alien::::alien::::alien::

That is as long as I dig some of the truth and don't start to think they were just SLACKERS with a good RAP making BANK.:p

Then I realize I'm now a Slacker... ::cigar::

Seriously though depression has taken its toll on me and my life and there are things a person can do to help but it's real awesome when you see people reach out.
There is a chance just making someone think for a second can lead to them making decisions to change their life.

::singing::

I leave you all with a music video of my wasted YOUTH.

Last edited:

codycodnyk

Reaction score
From personal experience, I think a lot of people suffer suicidal feelings in silence. I have had the pleasure of spending time in various psych wards, some better than others. Many people are afraid of getting sent there, so they dont voice their feelings. Especially if someone was sent there before and had a bad experience, like feeling more suicidal and having to fake being over it to get out. And of course stewing in your misery by yourself rarely helps.

I think our society and way of doing things isnt natural, and some people cant happily adjust to it. And we have a lot of depression and anxiety because of that.

D

deleted user

I also like the thread. I suffer from a wildly destructive depression. It was better for me when it was manic for sure, things got done, socializing gose better, but recently its been getting me in trouble at work, with the family, and my physical health has been infringed on. Working for shell and dealing with trump-trons and other assorted hatebreds doesn't help, but I look at my life as a term of endearment. How much disappointment can I acumulate? I guess? From punks who think I'm a dick for where I work, from the judgements of oil men, to everything in between. I have an end game for when I cash out from my job, but its also riding against the weight of these shitty circumstances. I also struggle with nihilism and if higherachy and domination are real outside of social construct. Recently has had me resenting one of my favorite animals, the wolf. Is there no hope for the runt? Anyway alcohol helps me and helping others

PotBellyFatGuy

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
mental health services is absolutely as important as polio vaccine (physical medicine) yet society won't acknowledge that. recently a famous indian actress (in india, film stars are like gods) admitted that even though she is very rich and very famous, she is depressed and is seeking help.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/enter...-depression/story-Q5uuAHRLWKAS7Lx08gi19M.html

in society if you admit you need mental health counseling, you are weak and a loser. at least that is how i was raised.

for the avg. joe in america, there is no way that person can afford counseling. i have used the internet myself for counsel. never felt suicidal but had to question my behaviors that were either self-destructive or simply nonsensical. a counselor would have helped tremendously. far more than websites and forums but that's all i had. counseling is very very expensive. the govt. has shut down mental health care hospitals and services every decade as the population grows and society experiences more and more turbulence.

salxtina

Reaction score
Hi PotBelly, thanks for sharing the Hindustan Times piece... One thing that feels really promising to me is seeing more peer-run respites opening up, places where you can stay in crisis, and talk with other people who've been through the same thing... Here's a directory of different ones around the country. Yeah, good, affordable counselors can be few and far between.
http://www.peerrespite.net/directory/

Reactions: PrisMiQue
D

deleted user

Only problem Iv seen is when identify politics, or believes in general clash. I remember sitting in on a peer group thing a few years ago. It's got ugly when a group felt that a cis white male should not monorate and although he stopped, any time he would add anything it was greeted with a attack. Punks and the like definitely need alot more community, but resources and differences make it tough.
Of course... We could just need alittle church ::android:: haha

PotBellyFatGuy

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hi PotBelly, thanks for sharing the Hindustan Times piece... One thing that feels really promising to me is seeing more peer-run respites opening up, places where you can stay in crisis, and talk with other people who've been through the same thing... Here's a directory of different ones around the country. Yeah, good, affordable counselors can be few and far between.
http://www.peerrespite.net/directory/

what's good about someone wealthy (not just famous) is that that person is making a program for the public, to help the public and society itself. her mantra of life for society is live, love, and laugh. a large % cannot do so (even if they are functioning adults) because of work and societal pressures. i cut off people in my life who dare to tell me how to live or what to expect out of me. i live my life on my own terms however there's a "cute" side effect to this. i cannot do this at my place of work. rules must be followed. conformity is expected. at some point, you must allow disrespect to happen if you want to keep your job. anyway i am ranting. point is that pressure from society one way or another gives us stress and there are counseling techniques that can help but it's always better to get help from a trained and experienced counselor. can we do that? a huge majority cannot because it is too costly and the govt. has no interest in helping its citizens - the ones who fund it by paying taxes.

as for clinical mental illness that prevents someone from functioning at all (putting up a facade for a short amount of time daily), big pharma has 0 interest in helping us. once we are on meds, why would they take/wean us off? every citizen is a potential quarterly profit generator on the stock market for said biotech stock. this conflict of interest makes it that much more difficult.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads