Dear kids... | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Dear kids...

Dameon

Reaction score
I really hate when people say busking isn't work. You try standing all day, holding an instrument, belting out songs at the top of your voice, and entertaining people successfully. It's physically and mentally draining in ways people don't understand. It's not the same as digging ditches in summer heat, but it's definitely more hard on you than sitting behind a desk 8 hours and fucking around on the internet for half that. Not to mention the time and work spent learning new songs, working on technique, working on playing with others...

I also think we DO have a god given right to be bums. Just because some countries make it harder doesn't mean people shouldn't be allowed to live whatever lifestyle they want. There's also countries that make it easier.

And sharing is one thing, but expecting somebody else to share their money just because you saw them flying a sign is bullshit. If somebody's starving, I'll give them something to eat if I can. If somebody's DTing (hard, not "oh no I have a bit of the shakes"), I'll buy them a beer. I'll share with people I like, if they're not total freeloaders. If you can't make your own money, then you don't need to be on the streets anyway. If I make bank with a sign, I don't feel a responsibility to give it to other people. If I can make bank at a spot, I'll be gone in an hour, and you can feel free to make bank at the same spot. If flying a sign is so easy, I don't see why anybody would get upset over somebody else making money and not immediately handing it over to them.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Very, very well said Dameon!!!! I can't fuckin agree more. Ill always offer someone food if they hungry and cant figure out how to find they're own food. But I'll be damned if you get a doller outta my pocket unless I think your worthy of it. The same goes fomy booze or drugs. I just dont pass my shit out to anyone. I too am a busker and Ill agree it is work. I'd rather chill with buskers than people who crack spange all day long and demand people give them shit. busking is way more respectable.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn't the anarchist thing to do be sharing your wealth with your fellow travelers? After all, we're one, big, traveling family, right? We're all together against society. It's us against them, right?

But I'll be damned if you get a doller outta my pocket unless I think your worthy of it.

Whoa! Sounding awfully right-wing there, wildboy! No re-distribution of wealth, right? I KNEW I LIKED YOU! You're a bit more conservative than you think! This is the same as me saying I don't want my tax dollars going to programs like food stamps or welfare or homeless dregs.

HIGH FIVE!

iRamau5

Reaction score
Very, very well said Dameon!!!! I can't fuckin agree more. Ill always offer someone food if they hungry and cant figure out how to find they're own food. But I'll be damned if you get a doller outta my pocket unless I think your worthy of it. The same goes fomy booze or drugs. I just dont pass my shit out to anyone. I too am a busker and Ill agree it is work. I'd rather chill with buskers than people who crack spange all day long and demand people give them shit. busking is way more respectable.

sounding kind of elitist there brother bear.

NyxNomasters

Reaction score
:applaud:<---that is all.

Nelco

Reaction score
I awlays get handed alot of food, so I'm always giving it to older home bums or really young youngins...but people give me shit tons of food.

Dameon

Reaction score
Whoa! Sounding awfully right-wing there, wildboy! No re-distribution of wealth, right? I KNEW I LIKED YOU! You're a bit more conservative than you think! This is the same as me saying I don't want my tax dollars going to programs like food stamps or welfare or homeless dregs.
Not really the same at all. Taxes go to the government for use to make the country better for everybody (not that it always works that way). Of COURSE rich people aren't going to want to pay for welfare or foodstamps or homeless programs. They're secure in the fact they'll never need any of those programs. As a homeless person, it's pretty easy to tell that the homebum asking me for a dollar for food while I'm busking, in a major city no less, is full of shit and not actually trying to get food.

It's not my responsibility to get other people drunk or high; I'll share if I have booze and weed, and the person's not an ass, but I don't pay to support anybody else's habit. If somebody legitimately needs a bit of money, to get on a bus, to get a sandwich in the middle of nowhere, and I have enough myself, then I'll help 'em. Otherwise, they can hold a sign and get their own money. If I had plenty of money, I'd hand it out to people so they could go and get drunk (lord knows plenty of people have given me money and told me to go buy a beer), but I'm poor and have to support myself, my girl, and my dog, and never have much to spare. Even being homeless has expenses.

Redistribution of wealth needs to happen downward, not laterally between the people who have the least. We live a rough life, and while everybody needs to look out for each other, people also need to be willing to make their own money. We can't just have 10 people flying signs while 100 lazy bastards sit and wait to get drunk for free. And let's face it, most of what people need money for is booze and drugs. I support my own habit; it's not much to expect the people around me to at the very least come up with a token amount of money to pitch on booze.

Reactions: EJO

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
boy i never new there were people governing us kids. are we a republic or a democracy? by whayt i read it is a tyranical dictatorship. someone put themself into power to run things as they see fit. i traveled to be free of everyones disciplines and rules, not to be oppressed by more. i spange get drunk, i've even been known to work with my hands. the busker and the spanger thing its like a mason calling a carpenter a loser. its simply two differant trades. i never had a hard time with money while traveling if you do learn to spange then you won't be broke. ithought i asked to be deleted.well i'll try something differant:i want a crew change guide. maybe that will work.

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
boy i never new there were people governing us kids. are we a republic or a democracy? by whayt i read it is a tyranical dictatorship.

you can't be any geek off the street, gotta be handy with the steel if you know what i mean, earn your keep!
REGULATORSSSSS!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i thought i asked to be deleted.

Jesus fucking christ, I wish people would read the rules/help section. The answer to your request is in there. And if you wanted to be deleted, why did you log back in? And finally, getting banned will not delete your posts, so why not just NOT LOGIN? Duh. Easier for you, easier for us.

Nelco

Reaction score
boy i never new there were people governing us kids. are we a republic or a democracy? by whayt i read it is a tyranical dictatorship. someone put themself into power to run things as they see fit. i traveled to be free of everyones disciplines and rules, not to be oppressed by more. i spange get drunk, i've even been known to work with my hands. the busker and the spanger thing its like a mason calling a carpenter a loser. its simply two differant trades. i never had a hard time with money while traveling if you do learn to spange then you won't be broke. ithought i asked to be deleted.well i'll try something differant:i want a crew change guide. maybe that will work.

yeah really good point..hands down..fuck it..continue on being assholes..i wouldn't like everybody any other way

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Dameon, I too have made the same distinction between spanging and busking in the past, I also busked before I ever traveled and one point in my life was a professional musician, as in I paid for an apartment, drugs and food with the money I made giging. All I have to say is that no matter how you look at it, busking is still a form of begging, ESPECIALLY if you're expecting to get paid for it. I'm a musician because I love the art of instrumentation and the positive effect I can have on people through the use of that art. When you see me busking its not only because I want money, but because I LOVE playing music and will continue to do so till the day I die. If you find it draining, its because you expected to be rewarded in a monetary way for your efforts and didn't feel you where justly compensated. Busking is like one long audition, that you sometimes get paid for. No one asked you to come out and play, your hoping to prove to people that you are worthy of compensation, your still spanging people, just in a classier way.

We have a god given right to be bums in the same way rednecks have a god given right to bash in your face for being a bum.

Wildboy, all I have to say is I've seen you attempt to bucket drum, if that's how you busk you of all people should be aware your not always being paid for your talents.

I'm also not saying you owe every traveler kid you see all the $ you made with that sign. I AM saying that I'm sick of this "Whatch you got on my 40" attitude. Like "fuck you, pay me" it started as a joke and has become a lifestyle. Whatever happened to a good ole' drinking circle? Nice thing about drinking circles that its acceptable to kick someone out of one once you realize they suck.

theare

Reaction score
This is very interesting and I agree that nobody owes me shit because of my circumstances and decisions and the thing I hate most is when I see other travelers being fucking dicks and acting like cunt rags to yuppies because they won't give them money or just because they're yuppies. The latter honestly pisses me off more.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads