"crust fund kids" | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

"crust fund kids"

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
I've seen a couple people say "I've never met anyone who had the silver spoon" and I'd like to point out that most people who come from money don't bring it up or will even sometimes straight up try to deny that shit. What pisses me off is people flying signs with "broke and hungry" or some shit when they could just as easily hit up their family for money. It's one thing if your family disowned you or some shit but if they're willing to help support you but you'd rather spange and take money from people who literally can't do anything else, that's some oogle shit. If you're 22 and in good health, find a hustle or get a job for a couple weeks, it's not that fucking hard.

OK, I disagree with you here. Just because someone's family has money doesn't mean that they feel comfortable hitting them up for it. Maybe they're not disowned but it's one thing to live off Mommy and Daddy's cash, another to be spanging and if someone wants to give than they give, if not than OK. And come on, taking money from those that can literally do nothing else? Are there cats flying signs outside every Wal-Mart in America? And just because you're 32 and in good health dosen't mean YOU can't find a hustle or get a job for a few weeks -- after all it's not that fucking hard is it :/ Or are you just referring to homebums in a wheelchair who can't even remember breakfast? Are they the only ones allowed to spange or fly a sign?

I come from a middle class family and if they really wanted to they could give me some money now and then. But they don't. Why? Because a) I don't ask b) I don't need it and c) they understand that. I'm not a big spanger in fact I almost never do it. I sell keychains I make and other things out of wire, and I busk. With that I make more than enough to live. But this classist bullshit of "you can't spange because your parents are rich" is not cool man. Maybe we want nothing to do with our parent's money -- and I think that in itself has some merit. There's plenty of corners to spange and plenty of places to fly a sign. Nobody's "taking money" from anybody. I've seen plenty of spots where someone could be spanging, but instead those kids that have "no other option" are wasted on the sidewalk. OK then, my turn...

Last edited:
P

pigpen

I've seen plenty of spots where someone could be spanging, but instead those kids that have "no other option" are wasted on the sidewalk. OK then, my turn...
When I said people who have no other option, I meant more along the lines of elderly people who've been foreclosed on, people with severe PTSD, combat vet's who cant get into a VA clinic or get a check because they went awol or were dishonorably discharged. I wasn't talking about schwilly kids...

"But this classist bullshit of "you can't spange because your parents are rich" is not cool man. Maybe we want nothing to do with our parent's money -- and I think that in itself has some merit."

If you want to feel good about yourself for begging strangers instead of begging your parents, go for it, but how the fuck is there any merit in that? Also I never said people from privileged backgrounds couldn't spange. I don't really give a shit what you do. It is awfully kind of you to want to stick up for the willfully destitute twenty somethings from middle classed backgrounds though, they get a bad rep.

P

pigpen

And just because you're 32 and in good health dosen't mean YOU can't find a hustle or get a job for a few weeks -- after all it's not that fucking hard is it :/

Are you implying that I don't work for my money? I can't imagine how you would have any idea where I get mine, but it's not from spanging or a trust fund. I have made thousands of dollars flying signs and I've worked my ass off for shitty pay, personally I'd rather work than spange at this point in my life.

W

wolf angel

My mom helps me with money from time to time. I'm honest about what I'm going to spend it on. Lots went intogreyhound but some went into booze and ciggs, the rest all food but with ebt and cheep food all over the place, loads of money is uaully.just convenience. I'm not against that.

The only thing that bugs me, is when people play a game about it and act like they are homeless and poor and NEED to do certain things for money, then soon off with some cat who takes care of them (I've had that happen twice with two different girls) all the while with a fully funded credit card and more then one home.

Granted I've been in a house for a couples weeks with a friend but even then I work off my stay here with physical labor, most of the time. No ones taking care of me on the regular and when they do I'm not ashamed to admit it.

If you're going to do anything in life do it without being ashamed of it. I don't feel like anyone needs to impress anyone else.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Amongst the deadhead/phish/burningman/EDM/festy scenes trust-a-farians are pretty common. I've met more than a few over the years. As far as the crusty/dirty/traincore/whatever kid going around hopping trains and spanging people when they really have a huge bank account goes, I can't say I've ever actually encountered one. A friend once told me her ex was a dirty rainbow kid with a huge trust fund that he didn't spend for some reason and instead went around hopping trains and flying signs, but I never met the guy.

Personally I feel that whenever you're blessed with an abundance that came to you with little effort it's ultimately in your best interest to share that abundance with those who are in need. Suffering is caused by desire, full fill the basic desires of those immediately around you and your gonna see a lot less suffering. Do you owe it them? No, but your day might just go a little better if you help em out.

Is begging for money all day and then being pissed off at someone with a trust fund a double standard? Not really, it's just being envious. Is that person with the trust fund required to share with you? No, but they might still do it, and being a dick to them probably ain't gonna help your cause.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
The way I see it you don't need a whole lot of money to hitch/hop trains so really having a "crust fund" doesn't seem to realistic. Maybe with deadheads/phish-fans/groupies-of-whatever-band-is-touring-right-now, but not train hoppers. you get the occasional rich kid trying to hitch a ride while lugging a $300 Gregory pack and $1000 in gear but other than that the "crust fund" thing is a myth. that's just my $.02.

Reactions: Mankini and kidbob

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a broke ass but I carry top quality gear. I got a used Arcteryx pack in Aspen for $60, which sells new for over $300. Now people see my pack and other stuff and think I'm well off. LOL It's just that I've had so much experimentation with gear. -Right gear, wrong gear, what survives the kind of abuse I throw at it and what doesn't. Over the years I've collected some good shit that has not failed me. I was living around a lot of homeless people in the past year who carry practical stuff-but usually a tarp, blankets, or a cheap sleeping bag. I spent most of what I earned doing temp construction on good shit. I guess most people would who live the lifestyle.

Reactions: kidbob
D

Deleted member 2626

I live and travel out of a car on and off and work for my money and never ask family for a dollar or anything really but I'm sure there will be Christmas money when I get home before then. I like to do whatever I can for my family especially the older ones and they know I need dough to get by a bit so there's that. I share when I can and help out people too. I stay in motels sometimes and sleep in my car sure I could ask for money from mommy so I don't HAVE to sleep outside but there's a difference like said getting money handed to you which is alrite, in correct context too ,then spanging with a fat bank and not needed to do that

kidbob

Reaction score
So the closest ive been to "crustfund kid" was my self 2 yrs ago.
I decided to quit my job and take the couple grand i had saved up and go on a vagrant vacation to p-cola.
I brought my funds not so i could live high on the hog..but to bring some happiness to ppl who needed it more than i do and help a few wary travelers out along the way
Maybe that was my mistake.wanting to help ppl who are under a bridge cause its"the crusty thing to do"
i met many a homebum and traveler alike.as well as many a "scene kid"(lookin the part and actin like it.but been there forever and aint goin nowhere)(future homebums i guess)
let me explain i also think i suffer from "palamino syndrome"
im not from upper class or middle,
govmnt assistance and low income housing has always been a part of my life! well that was untill i learned a trade.developed a viable skill set that makes serius money(it grows on trees man! cut one down and watch $$$ pop out)and found a way to become productive in my life.
Any way i saved up alot of money and felt like shit.felt worthless.more destitute than my last night in nola the night of hurricane katrina. Cause here i was buyin a shit ton of non important items(video games,drugs,payin for friends way on outings and just in general ballin like a boss) and it wasnt that long ago i had nothing and was scum of my family for traveling.so here i am feeling like shit because ive come so far but still aint DONE nothing really.i had a truck and paid my bills and took care of me and i dunno.i just didnt feel gratefull for my own accompishments(reason i say i think i got palamino)
so i set out on a mission to make myself feel better.i sold my truck and updated my gear(because of ten yrs on and off the road id learned by my self what was good and bad and worth carrying) and set out on a mission to "help the homeless"
so hitch from my small town of fayetteville to decatur and then ride train from decatur to p-cola.
Along the way i met a couple ppl that really needed help with sleeping bags and tents and one guy who genuinly needed a casket(he had a brain disease(five-points b-ham)
So i helped a few ppl out along my way. But really what i did was help enable a bunch more than i helped out.
I only spent 300 on actual "come up supllies" the rest went to beer and weed (600 worth) and i was broke by the time i got to mobile.
I was ok with that because my intentions was full on vagrant vacation in p-cola and i knew how to survive on the beach.its easy.too easy.

But i have never come across anybody who had a credit card that wasnt made out of cardboard.i met a couple traveling kids who been fucked up hitchiking and run over and now they get ssi disability but its no trust fund.

Ive hurd tell of a couple travelers gettin fat ass kickdowns of a hundred or more.i my self got dragged to a tittie bar by the devil and he spent 80 on lapdances just for me.

And ive seen travelers with a phone good for a yr or the bill is paid by a family member or they got a friend who really cares about them and sends em 20 on the regular.and i even met MOSES whos a train rider who had a entire fortune willed to him from an uncle.hes got a six bedroom house in florida and was one of the first riders to carry a laptop and gps in his bag,but he still flys signs and lives life on the road(he flops the bedrooms out to travelers) this is not hear say...dude was on a talkshow one day about it.and like i said..I HAVE MET HIM.SHOOK HANDS WITH HIM.SHArED BLISS.REPAIRED HIS OL LADYS JEWELERY.
He doesnt know any other life tho.30+ yrs on the road and never had or wanted anything more than that.
Another dude named "cotton" in p-cola has a massive nest egg from his daughter...but once again..40+ yrs of life flyin a sign for beer money amd he doesnt know anything else.
I met a dude in arizona one day who told me imma be the next tommy hillfigure or someshit.gonna own a strip mall with designer cloths and he gonna see me and remember me and imma hook him up with new shoes that change his life....ok wtf dude!!?

I dont think "if u got it u should share it" i think that if u see somebody who needs genuine help.and its in yer means to make a differance,big or small,in somebodys life,that u should do that.

But dont enable ppl
And i feel i did alot of that after birmingham.got so caught up in "helpin ppl" i lost sight of what real help was.
Gettin drunk and gettin high isnt help.. Helping forget why or what got u in ur situation doesnt make things better.when u wake up,ur still where u were when u went to sleep.
I got this thing where if ur out there for more than a few mnths ur just really not trying to do anything with ur life.im not speakin about travelers really just bums(home,transient alike)

dont feed me a sob story of how u been here 6mnths cant find a job and smell like piss and booze and throwup is in ur beard

So with all that said
I think i agree with the crust fund theory being a myth

Now as far as that motherfucker gettin in her van and driving back to her 4 bedroom house and kids and husband all the while pretending to be sick with mulitple scillorsis or some shit...find her...break her legs..send incriminating pictures to her husband and the police and shit on her porch.many times!!! runny whisky shits! wanna play homeless...here you go!

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

kidbob

Reaction score
whats that? I tried looking it up but couldn't find it specifically.

TBH
I cant remember where i read it.either here or @the oogle farm of lm@o

Basicly from what i got of it was
There was a rash of kids from like palomino california or some shit
(the supposed crust fund kids i guess)
Who come from money
and had the easy posh life
And ended up crustin up and travelin
So that they could give their life meanin and substance and value and character
Apperantly some of these kids fucked it up real bad for the avg travel kid and i dunno..did more harm to the wanderlust lifestyle then good.
I dunno i read it somewhere...and i was like...thats me...with out the bein rich and fuckin it up part lol :)
It was originaly said in a negative demeanor towards these kids..i dont think it was supposed to be a good thing : (

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
TBH
I cant remember where i read it.either here or @the oogle farm of lm@o

Awww... I see. My lack of ooglish knowledge was showing... haha. Well I have never claimed to be one... but one can only hope some day. ::eyepatch::
Thanks for s'plaining.

K

Kim Chee

Other people's' money is none of your business. Period. If you get upset over someone's financial situation, whatever it may be, then you're just proof of the corruptive potential of money.

I'm going to assume that since you did not quote anybody that you are referring to the op's post.

Do you really think it is ok for somebody who gets enough money from their parents to get by to busk or spange (do your hustle) next to you and cut your income in half?

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
In my experience, the people who are concerned about this are the people you should stay away from. They usually don't understand how the world works. Did you know, if you actually work for your money, you might not want to carry $500 in your pocket? Did you know you don't need a million dollars to open a bank account? ;) I have a bank account and it has exactly $0.04 in it, and yet I've been accused of being wealthy by crustlords based on the fact that I own a debit card. In actuality, I've rarely had more than a few hundred dollars to my name, ended up traveling to escape from my abusive home, and have very rarely gotten money from anyone I pesonally know. Now, I don't have any family, everyone that is blood related to me is dead, with the exception of my mother who is on medicare in an alzheimers ward and thinks I'm someone named Thomas. And I'm sure those two tardnuggets continue to tell stories about my riches.

It's true that these discussions usually devolve into people who spange vs people who don't. Here's a different perspective though:

I don't think there's anything wrong with spanging. I don't think there's anything wrong with working. I don't think there would be anything wrong with the mythical "crust fund kid." I would have a problem with said mythical person spanging, but that person doesn't exist, has never existed, and will never exist.

The real issue here, I think, is that people who only spange feel entitled to other peoples money, specifically travelers. I work when I can and I spange when I have to. I save my money and I have nice things because I don't spend $1,000 a month on beer. Right now I spend most of my time ripping off large corporations. I have a literal pile of expensive electronics sitting in the corner of my living space that I still need to sell on eBay. And soon enough I'll be back on the road.

I like travelers who are respectful of others. Those are the people I help out. I'm fortunate enough to have a skillset that I can utilize to get money pretty easily. Others aren't as fortunate, but they're respectful and don't feel that I owe them anything. I'm happy to give kickdowns to those people. I don't give anything to entitled crustlords and that probably further entrenches them in their entitlement complex.

I think there's always an underlying theme of "woe is me" in these stories, and that's a pretty damning indication of the truth. If you only spange to buy beer, cigarettes, and drugs, haven't worked a job in your life, and surround yourself with people who have a similar mindset, it's probably pretty easy to get high on self-pity and invent colorful ways that others have wronged you. When in reality, they just saved some money, bought a nice backpack, and now people are assuming they're rich.

I've run into a handful of people with these assumptions, mentality and stories. They have all been the stereotype. No respect for themselves or other people, shout shit at people for no reason, say things like "I'm gonna smoke till I die cause I don't care about my life" (literal quote from someone), etc. They were also wannabe traincore, when they weren't yelling dumb shit at yuppies or sexually harassing women, they were bragging about how fast trains were going when they got on/off, dumb train stunts that could've very easily gotten them killed, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Can anyone honestly say they've met someone who told high tales of trustafarians, who wasn't the perfect stereotype of what "oogle" used to mean?

Last edited:

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
The way I see it you don't need a whole lot of money to hitch/hop trains so really having a "crust fund" doesn't seem to realistic. Maybe with deadheads/phish-fans/groupies-of-whatever-band-is-touring-right-now, but not train hoppers. you get the occasional rich kid trying to hitch a ride while lugging a $300 Gregory pack and $1000 in gear but other than that the "crust fund" thing is a myth. that's just my $.02.

You want $1,300 in gear? Hold a minimum wage job for a month. Is that the new crust punk standard for 'rich'? I guess I'm a member of the ruling class now.

I don't pay rent, I have no expenses except food... if you can work a job for two weeks, or find some way to make money, you can pull together the cash for nice gear. I value my health and comfort more than punk points, and you should do the same.

I've heard people bragging about trench foot before... but that goes back to my previous post. Wearing milsurp boots is the 'cool' and 'punk rock' thing to do, right? If you care about your feet at all, you're going to have nice boots. I've run into plenty of travelers who have Red Wings. Are they rich too? Afterall, they have $300 boots, and that means at some point, they decided to invest in their health instead of inebriation... heretical rich kids.

At what point does someone become rich? They held a job for 80 working hours, and didn't blow it all on booze and heroin?

You're silly.

Last edited:

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
It's not that hard to have a chunk of cash on the road. Work for one or two months. 800+ bucks, easily. We don't pay rent out here, so that money can go a long way. You also don't need much to have a debit card, and considering how often things get lost or stolen on the road, I prefer to entrust 4 months of hard earned money to a bank rather than my left sock.
I think that the trustafarian myth is born out of jealousy, which is really silly when you consider that many of the original hobos were migrant workers who probably had chunks of money from time to time.
Now, I'm not waging war on spanging. There are times when I am out of money and in between gigs. No shame in asking for help when you really need it. I also travel with folks who need to spange, and I'm more than happy to help 'em fly or ask places for extra rice/beans. I'm also more than happy to pool my cash with them and buy us hot meals, beer, and the occasional hotel room, so long as they share their kick downs :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads