Craziest places you've slept for the night? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Craziest places you've slept for the night?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Bathtubs are the best, especially if it's within vomit range of the toilet. Anyone who glows in the dark is accepted ;)

lol - poor kid we spent the night in his well built tree fort. Imagine 4 drunks walking down a country road wayyyy outta town who have no idea where they were with nothing and wide open road and looking for a place - like a barn with preferably no pigs, geese or dogs there ... and we find VOILA - a miniature home in a tree. Yeah there was vomit around, psychodelics for sure. Felt like quite the shit though for leaving it like that the next morning (tree fort was fine, grounds were barfed out the windows). Even better trying to walk back to town and get a ride. Sunday morning shit walks ... hehe.

Reactions: Joshicus
Reaction score
In Olympia we squatted in a house for sale. Full electric wood stove and water! Haha. We deflected a few people coming by bc we just looked up public records and said we were doing work for the guy who owned it. There were 4 of us. We had a huge rage fest in the bathtub. Haha! Best week of my life. Before the squat house we were sleeping in the loft of the punk garage of one of the black houses in oly. So much rain.

jaws

Reaction score
lol - poor kid we spent the night in his well built tree fort. Imagine 4 drunks walking down a country road wayyyy outta town who have no idea where they were with nothing and wide open road and looking for a place - like a barn with preferably no pigs, geese or dogs there ... and we find VOILA - a miniature home in a tree. Yeah there was vomit around, psychodelics for sure. Felt like quite the shit though for leaving it like that the next morning (tree fort was fine, grounds were barfed out the windows). Even better trying to walk back to town and get a ride. Sunday morning shit walks ... hehe.
In Olympia we squatted in a house for sale. Full electric wood stove and water! Haha. We deflected a few people coming by bc we just looked up public records and said we were doing work for the guy who owned it. There were 4 of us. We had a huge rage fest in the bathtub. Haha! Best week of my life. Before the squat house we were sleeping in the loft of the punk garage of one of the black houses in oly. So much rain.
I didn't know about the black houses. Interesting read -
http://ridiculoushuman.blogspot.com/2010/07/black-houses.html

jaws

Reaction score
Fell asleep inside a dolomite cave in Alley Springs, Missouri. Woke up to a copperhead slithering over my feet.

Slept on a cliff in Breaks Interstate Park overlooking a canyon. That was the coolest sunrise I've seen in a while.

View attachment 16799 View attachment 16800
That's happened to me before with a water moccasin, just gotta not move and wait for it to pass on over.

D

Deleted member 2626

Under a semi engine hood that was in a grass field behind a service station, in between a highway in between boundary cement walls

D

Deleted member 2626

Home depot sheds are near comfy. Slept in in Cheyenne last year and waited with my dog while my buddy went in and got us contractor free coffee

jaws

Reaction score
Oh, I thought of a new one.

I'm not sure if anybody has ever dumpster dived at Half Price Books, but if you do, you will find more books than you could ever read in a lifetime. And that's every single wingle week. (I accidentally typed "wingle" but thought it was awesome so I kept it).

Anyways, one night, I got inside of their dumpster which was more than halfway filled with books. I stayed there for hours going through all of them, and eventually dozed off laying on the bed of books.

Woke up eventually feeling scared about my car, this thread is making me realize how often my car holds me back. ::bored::

Last edited:

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
That's happened to me before with a water moccasin, just gotta not move and wait for it to pass on over.

Yeah I woke up. We made eye contact. I didn't make any sudden movements and he eventually went away. Needless to say, I moved out of the cave and slept on another cliff. Didn't want to encounter that guy again.

K

Kim Chee

Lakewood, WA library, used to unlatch the window on the inside and slide in at night. They kept the heat on for those books. Anyway, they would tend to close pretty late and open early so it wasn't like a long night, but it was comfortable. On one occasion they hit the lights in the morning but I was still able to get out unnoticed.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini

jaws

Reaction score
Lakewood, WA library, used to unlatch the window on the inside and slide in at night. They kept the heat on for those books. Anyway, they would tend to close pretty late and open early so it wasn't like a long night, but it was comfortable. On one occasion they hit the lights in the morning but I was still able to get out unnoticed.
You have a version of finding shelter unlike anyone I've ever known.

Did you pee on their floor too?

• Haha
Reactions: WanderLost Radical
K

Kim Chee

You have a version of finding shelter unlike anyone I've ever known.

Did you pee on their floor too?

I was prepared with a piss jug.

I also built a shelter in a cemetary for long-term use.
And stayed underneath a steel pipe distribution warehouse long-term.

Tip: Look at every little hidey hole and mentally explore the possibility of staying. Try to think waaaaaay outside the box where nobody will find you or simply won't care when they do see you.

jaws

Reaction score

Tip: Look at every little hidey hole and mentally explore the possibility of staying. Try to think waaaaaay outside the box where nobody will find you or simply won't care when they do see you.
cemetery-I'm gonna try that one

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us

How long would you stay in one particular spot. I normally move around when I'm traveling just to be safe, but sounds like you find ways to stay multiple nights? Sounds cool man...Thanks for the insight.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
a treehouse at a road protest camp in gale force winds, an ex brothel and as someone else already mentioned a shed outside a DIY store.

The treehouse was pretty awful even in good weather and the brothel was fun because there was a jacuzzi in one of the rooms, there was lots of slutty clothes to dress up in and men still knocked on the door hoping for something other than dirty squatters to invite them inside for a good time. We found a stash of passports from people all over the world which was a bit creepy.

jaws

Reaction score
a treehouse at a road protest camp in gale force winds, an ex brothel and as someone else already mentioned a shed outside a DIY store.

The treehouse was pretty awful even in good weather and the brothel was fun because there was a jacuzzi in one of the rooms, there was lots of slutty clothes to dress up in and men still knocked on the door hoping for something other than dirty squatters to invite them inside for a good time. We found a stash of passports from people all over the world which was a bit creepy.
Very awesome,
Was the jacuzzi still filled? And that passport stash is a tad creepy.

meathook

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads