Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Coronavirus Should We Worry? By CHJ

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
It appears COV-19 very seldom produces serious symptoms or death in infected persons under forty- up to age 40 (with risk of death increasing with age), risk is only about .4% (see chart at first link) from Chinese data so far. So, when/if most of you get infected, you will have a rough week or too, but will be fine.

Children appear to be at very low risk of any serious consequence. Dogs can't get it (for sure), or infect humans (probably on infecting humans).

For people over 60 (4.6% risk of death if infected), things get steadily worse with age, so folks 70 or older have about a 9.8% chance of death, and at 80+, about 18%. People with hypertension, heart disease, and/or diabetes are at the highest risk.

So for most folks here, the big deal is: DON"T INFECT OTHERS! In epidemiology terms, try to avoid becoming a disease vector.
  • Please stay at least 6' away from anyone with gray hair,
  • Don't shake hands, kiss, or hug to greet or say goodbye to people- try to limit physical contact with all other humans.
  • Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and hot water as often as possible. Hand sanitizer is better than nothing but not nearly as good at virus elimination as hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds.

The Johns Hopkins map posted by @Wheat2020 in the post two posts above this one is the best resource for tracking the pandemic. Usually, it would be CDC, but after 3 years of Trump, most of that capacity has been eliminated.

In positive pandemic news, news reports today say that Brazilian president and Mini-Trump Bolsonaro has tested positive; his press secretary tested positive yesterday. Both spent Saturday with Trump and Pence at Mar-A-Lago. An Australian official who spent time with Ivanka and Attorney General Barr last week has also tested positive.

Trump is 73 and obviously in very poor physical health. Astonishingly, Pence at 60 is 6 months younger than me though he looks like he could be my father. But if they both die, Nancy Pelosi is President per the Constitution.

So some good may come of this. Pray.
-------
UPDATE: Trump is expected to announce a national emergency at 3 pm EST today. This will free up tremendous amounts of $ for COV-19 response.

Bolsonaro says he tested negative. His press secretary lied for a day about having even been tested before admitting he tested positive. Bolsonaro is quite possibly lying to give his idol Trump time to get tested.

Mayor of Miami who met with Trump, Pence, Bolsonaro, and press secretary has tested positive.

White House went into urgent meeting at 11 am EST today about Trump's multiple exposures.

PRAY.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27861

I still want to get on a plane to Eastern Europe thou. Any idea when all of this stuff is gonna pass? Right now everyone's slowly turtling up, so where is there to go?

Jerrell

Reaction score

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
Don't we all.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
It's like watching a slow-motion car crash, and not being sure if you're watching from in the car or not.

D

Deleted member 27861

Huh. Kind of feels like my appetite for life has outgrown this place, but now that there's no where else to go right now, I feel kind of, down and slow.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Fear is the mind killer...

I have lived somewhat of an interesting life so far...

Lot of hardship and depressing times... but lot of fun and crazy times.

Military... being young and a party animal... war... and peace... mountains and rivers.... camping and Vegas... Dreams and UFO's... lol... being a homebum... hahaha...

I don't know but if this blows over... or even if it does not... a real big adventure is coming my way. I'll try not to die alone... but if I do... I'll do it with a smile so if anyone happens to pass by my bones... they won't be to depressed and maybe give me a one last chuckle.

:)

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
Some good news for you kids: death rate for infected people under 29 in Italy (the country that has been hit hardest) is ZERO PERCENT.

Many under-29s who are infected show no symptoms, or just a mild cough, but are spreading the plague to every human they get within 6' of.

YOU KIDS WILL BE FINE; PLEASE DON'T KILL US OLDS.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 13433

Agreed.

For those interested in this from a data standpoint, a friend of mine out near Seattle sent me this link: Coronavirus Update (Live): 190,873 Cases and 7,530 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It's pretty informative.

I asked her - since she's closing in on 70 and has lots of knowledge - about her take on this, and I know earlier in this thread I said something which I got taken down a notch on regarding lab diseases, but she wrote me a response which would probably be close to 6 pages if printed out, and it - to her - all boils down to one thing: the live animal food markets in China.

The logic behind this explanation was astonishing, and I could see it too.

But this data base is good info.

I was for a period of time going back and forth on if this was a big deal or not, but now even I am getting the fear a little bit.

Older Than Dirt summed it up best.

Kids will be fine.
Adults, probably....

The elderly, well - maybe.....

I have to be super careful since I help my folks out, and they are both quite elderly - so this is something that I am taking very seriously.

Older Than Dirt

Banned
Reaction score
Most respiratory infectious disease (like the new strains of flu that evolve each year and can get us when immune systems are weak in cold weather- thanks evolution!) originates in China and SE Asia.

Live animal markets in those areas, along with the characteristic pattern of agriculture in those places, are the usual suspects.

What i mean by "the characteristic pattern of agriculture" is growing rice in flooded paddies, where the shit of humans, chickens, and ducks mingles in that water, and these three species live close together, and the people eat the rice and the ducks and chickens and their eggs.

This creates ideal conditions for infectious diseases to evolve to jump from birds (the chickens and ducks) to humans. Ducks and chickens are very prone to respiratory infectious disease, and evolution and mutation of viruses means they will always be getting new ones (also contagion from wild birds with their own chains of mutation and evolution). And there are many of them for each human.

But don't blame the Chinese. Viruses don't give a shit about borders, and adore travel- the worst epidemic in modern history, the "Spanish Flu" epidemic of 1918-20 originated on a US Marine base, but got called "Spanish" beacuse Spain wasn't involved in WW I, and wasn't censoring press reports of the epidemic, unlike the US and almost every other European country.

Note that VP Pence who is in charge of US pandemic response does not believe in fucking evolution.

WASH YOUR HANDS, U DIRTY KIDS. STAY 6' FROM OTHER HUMANS; HUG A DOG INSTEAD. WASH YOUR HANDS AGAIN.

Last edited:
  • Best of Luck!
D

Deleted member 13433

oh I agree, I think she was just using China for this time around.
Yes, plenty of bad things have originated here in the states too :( :( :(

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wanted to post this comment I made on the other Corona Virus thread:

will BLM land be full of evacuees?
the local streams will surely get shat in.
i have a couple buddies with land far out from town/city, i should hit them up about hanging out in a corner of their property
This really isint that type of situation, running away from society isint really going to help, unless there is some sort civil unrest due to lack of basic necessities. I severely doubt that is going to happen.

It would be a good time for a vacation, though, for a couple weeks. The problem with that idea though is that there is a good chance you are already exposed, because this virus has been confirmed airborne, and there is an incubation stage with no symptoms. In which you are the most contagious. Once you start getting really sick, you are beyond the contagious stages, if this resembles the other strains of the flu.

My point is, if you are out in the middle of nowhere, get sick, have complications due to the severe respiratory symptoms of this specific disease, and csnt get yourself to medical care, quicky, you could be in real trouble.

In my opinion, the best thing to be would be to live life normally, be able to seek medical care if nessisary, stock up on goods in case international/domestic shipping shuts down for a while (month of so), and take precautions to avoid contracting the virus, or potentially spreading it to venerable populations (the elderly, people with autoimmune disorders, and infants).

Yet again, if you look at how this has progressed in other countries, we are in the very beginning stages, and it is going to get worse before it gets better.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads