cooking turtles

P

Pheonix

so I seen a turtle walking across my yard and wondered what they taste like (gamey-tasting lamb) so after killing and butchering I boiled the meat and just before it was done I thru a pack of ramen in the water. the oriental flavor packet with some butter and it was very flavorful.

I read online that boiling is the best way to prepare turtle meat since they pretty much always carry salmonella. it was very good but very time consuming, I guess I need to figure out a better way to crack open the shell.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
oh man... turtle meet is soo fuckin good!!!! the only time i had some was at a commun ein TN, it was snapping turtle.... and it tasted liek a combo of turkey and ham. at least thats how i remebered it.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yeah he is, but les stroud of survivor man is way more badass, cuase he films all his own shit. bear gryls has a camera crew and all that.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

Amish

Reaction score
Bear Gryls is pretty freaking awesome.

he definately gives some good tips on how to survive but i like dual survival just as much

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
just crack the shell on the bottom, turn it upside down and throw it on the coals. just don't eat the intestines!

as far as bear grills goes... while he does give a few good survival tips here and there, there are usually way more convenient and easier ways of doing the same thing. it seems like he showboats most of the time. like when he'll stop to show you how to get water from a root or something. he consumes an ounce or so, and then he's like, (british accent) "alright now it's time to keep moving!". he's always rescued by his own team (which half of is with him the whole time), and i'm pretty sure most of the stuff he does is planned before he gets there. that's just my take. he does have an impressive resume though. i think he summited everest at like 22 or 23 yrs old and several other difficult mnts also. but compared to les stroud... bear can suck it!

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
It's often the old timers who know how to clean snapping turtles the best.
The old man in this following video knows what he's doing, he doesn't waste
any meat and all he really needed was a board, a hammer, a short nail, sharp
knives, etc. no silly garden hoses and air compressor bull shit.
Make sure you watch all three parts of the video so the next snapping turtle
you catch won't be such a daunting meal.

D

Deleted member 20

This one was a real bitch to cook but tasty.
uploadfromtaptalk1361370455543.jpg

That really is me but no turtles were eaten in the making of this movie.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361370505863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361370505863.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 298
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361370521553.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361370521553.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 290

daveycrockett

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads