Coffee on the Road | Squat the Planet

Coffee on the Road

wildwerden

Reaction score
I'm sitting in Panera dying for a cup of coffee because it's been almost 5 days since I've gone without a good old cup of joe. Yeah, I'd like to know too.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i know this is'nt what you mean.....but out on the road i live off dat instant

51EXMGMMCAL.jpg

one trick is to get coffee filters and use twine or dental floss to make up your own lil single serve teabag pouch type things just heat up your water on your camp stove or fire and do it like a cup of tea........then theres always the old "drop coffee" or "cowboy coffee"....boil up your water and coffee grounds in a pot and when it's done pour a shot of cold water in the pot and all the grounds sink to the bottom and you can pour it out with not too many grounds

RockerBilly

Reaction score
such a simple solution man! The Turks and the Arabs have this shit down.

all you need is a small metal pot, and its great because you can use it for other shit besides coffee, which is essential when you're living off your backpack. Just get the coffee ground as fine as possible, you want that shit like powder. put cold water in your pot, then add a lot of the coffee grounds and sugar if you want, then heat. now you must keep an eye on it. The second it starts to boil and froth up, remove it from the heat and let it cool down for a minute (remember- coffee boiled is coffee spoiled). Repeat this 2 more times, then just stir it, pour a few drops of cold water, then tap the sides of the pot with a spoon or something. This process, along with the really finely ground coffee, will completely sink all the grounds out of the liquid. If you do it right, it creates the best (and most potent) cup of coffee I've ever had

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_coffee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ok this is easy, but don't fuck it up for the rest of us, deprive me of my coffee and I'll kill a muthafucka.
So. First you need to find a starbucks. get 5$'s and buy one of these.
starbucks-card-red.jpg

its almost as valuable as your food stamp card - actually more so cause it gets you hot coffee, and a dry warm place for several hours.
Then you go online, and go to https://www.starbucks.com/account/create
Register the card - if your on StP your smart enough to do that.
Now you have two cups of coffee (card balance is 5$, 2x cups of coffee @ average $2.14¢ leaves you with a balance of +.01¢ witch is all is required of you to get free refills at any starbucks across the country!!!
Now! you get them by getting your Refill cup out of any trash can or dumpster, make sure there are no special markings or stickers on it - reasonably clean (no dog shit or licorice stuck to it) go get your refill.
Some stores (like westlake center in downtown Seattle) are douchebags and will not honor the water policy, or your refill policy, they may demand a reciept - it is up to you if you want to make a stink and call corporate and complain (possibly receiving free drinks or other rewards) or just walk out and across the street. Once you are a regular at a shop, they really don't care if they even knew that you were scamming in the first place as long as your personable and smile when you get what you want, complement them for their care, and don't stink too bad or get caught bathing in the bathrooms. and don't ever get caught stealing, I know its tempting but think about it there is alot of yuppies in there, they look at us and want any reason to see us in cuffs 'where the dregs of society belong - not in my starbucks'
Fuck them!

bryanpaul

Reaction score
sooo @ diagaro(drege) another way to use the gift card is to find one, like in the trash or dumpster...say, to starbucks or subway or anywhere else that they make the shit BEFORE they ask you for payment and when they ask you to pay, hand 'em the card and they scan it... it comes back with 0 dollars and 0 cents so you say ..."oh im so sorry, we'r out on the road and really hurtin for cash.....someone gave us this card and said there was 10$ on it.....i'm sorry.......ummm, are you gonna throw that in the trash?....cuz we could really use it right now".....then maybe offer to work a lil bit or somethin.....but it's worked for me at starbucks before fo sho.....they'll just give you the coffee and say "it's all good....have a nice day"

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro

kai

Reaction score
i've never had to work for the cup of coffee but offering at a small shop with nice staff to trade labour for a cup of joe usually works. Also at them busy self serve digs you can do just that and bypass the paying step. Or in a pinch go to a starbucks, so long as you don't look like you just crawled in from underneath a dumpster and complain until you get a new drink free of charge.

DregeDE

Banned
Reaction score
sooo @ diagaro(drege) another way to use the gift card is to find one, like in the trash or dumpster...say, to starbucks or subway or anywhere else that they make the shit BEFORE they ask you for payment and when they ask you to pay, hand 'em the card and they scan it... it comes back with 0 dollars and 0 cents so you say ..."oh im so sorry, we'r out on the road and really hurtin for cash.....someone gave us this card and said there was 10$ on it.....i'm sorry.......ummm, are you gonna throw that in the trash?....cuz we could really use it right now".....then maybe offer to work a lil bit or somethin.....but it's worked for me at starbucks before fo sho.....they'll just give you the coffee and say "it's all good....have a nice day"

Kinda yes and not really, no - Its not a 'gift card' its more like a safeway rewards card; you buy the card @5$ then have that balance available, BEFORE YOU SPEND ONE RED CENT you register the fucking thing, the only thing thats important is that you have the card registered, I personally have kept the 5$'s on the card for several months and just refilled to hell and back, the cash balance is for emergencies - but any morning your too lazy to dive a dumpster and argue with some dimwit in green and black that you came from outside, with a cup for a refill cause you were outside smoking is a fucking emergency, thats life threatening to innocent by standards.

To explain this, most people will go and get their refill and get charged 55¢
someone with a registered card gets a refill and the barista swipes the card the total due blinks from "55¢" to "registered - $0.00¢"
Most baristas never even know that you got a free refill at all! all they see is "Payment complete, dispense goods"

DregeDE

Banned
Reaction score
But yea I get it bryanpaul, knowingly hand them a dead card.
Just sit and wait I get tons of free drinks from just sitting and eating wifi
Yea I have squatted many starbucks after awhile I don't even want the fuck up drinks anymore, I just drink my coffee and keep my headphones in and my screen tilted away from curious Cristian nazis.

Reactions: buffalobill

railroadron

Reaction score
I often travel with an MSR stove which i use regular rubbing alcohol as fuel..( change ports allows this) and I boil my grounds then add a splash of cold water to settle grounds. U can also boil water and grounds in a wine bottle as long as u fill it to the to[p and i mean the top. if u fail to do this..it will break and snuff your fire. MSR stoves are powerful enough to cook on a IM and are light and compact to carry without adding much weight

kickthatshit

Reaction score
Another option that I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Keep a plastic coffee filter funnel with you. You know, the things shaped like coffee filters, but plastic, and sit right on top of a porcelain cup. They're plastic and have a hole in the bottom; you can improvise one by taking a plastic bowl and drilling a hole in the bottom.

Use a filter in this, or clean pair of undies. Paper towels from a public bathroom can work, too.

Fill with coffee grounds, bought with food stamps.

Use hot water (free) from any gas station or fast food restaurant. Rarely are you more than a 20 minute walk away from free hot water in North America. Take cream and sugar from gas station / fast food outlet. Hot water also great for oatmeal, powdered soups, powdered humus, etc.

There you are. Dirt cheap or free, very few items needed in your bag, good coffee.

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Walmart sells single serving coffee pouches they come in a package of 19 or 38 servings for 5 or 8 bucks respectively they are tje size of tea bags . I wear a camo jacket and fit 19 of em in mi breastpocket they aren't the best but I get 2 cups outta 1 package 1 good 1 ok and I absolutely have too have my coffee

RockerBilly

Reaction score
Ever find yourself in a situation where someone wants to buy you a coffee from some yuppie place like starbucks and it's kinda rude to say no? Or they give you a gift card or whatever. Whatever you want, order an espresso. Then ask for a large cup full of ice. Then walk over to the place with milk and sugar, and fill the cup of ice with milk, then put the espresso in it and voila, you have an espresso magically becomes an iced latte. Quite a restorative drink for a hot morning. While you're there, you can steal several fistfuls of sugar sachets. Collect enough of those, and come across some flour and you've got half the ingredients to bake cookies or a cake, which is a great way to thank a generous host who's welcome you may have outstayed

Doc Road

Reaction score
I go over board bro, I don't carry much food. but COFFEE is a ritchual for me. Checkit, i got a 2cup flashboil stove with a ready to go french press lid, bout the size of small oatmeal can(75$ REI). back pack grinder(REI25$) one pound of your fave beans, gatta be Organic(no need to sweeten) this is one luxury worth every penny, one pound of coffee gos for a minite, one thing i always got to share.

Reactions: freeranger

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads