Chicago Squats | Squat the Planet

Chicago Squats

freedude2012

Reaction score
id try and find a group that u feel confortable with and can trust till you get your bearrings and i can feel were ur comein from the only differance is i got a lil bit longer to plan my start point and get some advice on a good place to start from

vodka4581

Reaction score
G8 protest is in chicago this may, im sure you can find some kids then if you havent already. trying to head there myself. i would say buy some mace and a knife

Alexander

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
there are communes in Chicago, one of them my friend stays at, I live in Elgin with the rents currently, kinda wanna head somewhere warm :D

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
I have looked into the G8 thing after a post or two here mentioned it. I would fucking love to make it out there for it; meet some cool people, pay a visit to my ex to piss off her new boyfriend, and be a part of this amazing gathering. I am jealous of all that get themselves there in time.

Also, natkalia, hopefully you find some really chill people to kick it with. Be careful.

- Agni

Reactions: wokofshame

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
haven't been in the area for a few months now but if you hang around the Occupy protest you might be able to find some kindred spirits (vanburen and lasalle i think? don't quote me on that) other than that you can sometimes find suitable places to squat up in northside (boystown, wrigleyville, edgewater) they're technically "safer" but that's always debatable. good luck, follow your intuition, and don't forget to bundle up! (even if chicago is having a record warm or whatever)

W

wehavethemap

I had a one in humboldt park couple summers ago.. had been vacant for years before i found it may still be? look around, it was intollerably hot so i just climbed out the window n slept on the roof of the neighboring building

Bandito Dan

Reaction score
haven't been in the area for a few months now but if you hang around the Occupy protest you might be able to find some kindred spirits (vanburen and lasalle i think? don't quote me on that) other than that you can sometimes find suitable places to squat up in northside (boystown, wrigleyville, edgewater) they're technically "safer" but that's always debatable. good luck, follow your intuition, and don't forget to bundle up! (even if chicago is having a record warm or whatever)

It's Jackson and LaSalle, but don't even bother. I pass by there all the time and there are only one or two people there now and they tend to be older (not old, but like 40's ish), and I doubt they'd know anything about places to squat and/or be willing to help you. Occupy has been dead here for months. It might pick up when it gets a little warmer though if you're still around.

Bandito Dan

Reaction score
There are tons of abandoned buildings in Chicago though. I don't know much about squatting or specific places really, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard in a city like this. I see a lot of abandoned industrial-looking buildings along the metra tracks coming down from the northern suburbs. Those are probably shitty places though because they're right a long the tracks so you'll probably be seen pretty easily and also I have no idea what kind of [potentially hazardous] stuff used to be made/was used in those buildings so I dunno, I personally would avoid them. Like I said I don't really know much about squatting, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
Sometimes when I'm in Hipsterville Wicker Park there are some Crusty Oogle types hanging around so you might be able to talk to those guys/girls and get some info?

fackshat

Reaction score
There are tons of abandoned buildings in Chicago though. I don't know much about squatting or specific places really, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard in a city like this. I see a lot of abandoned industrial-looking buildings along the metra tracks coming down from the northern suburbs. Those are probably shitty places though because they're right a long the tracks so you'll probably be seen pretty easily and also I have no idea what kind of [potentially hazardous] stuff used to be made/was used in those buildings so I dunno, I personally would avoid them. Like I said I don't really know much about squatting, but I'm just throwing out ideas.
Sometimes when I'm in Hipsterville Wicker Park there are some Crusty Oogle types hanging around so you might be able to talk to those guys/girls and get some info?

Ahahah, Hipsterville, so true.

Bandito Dan

Reaction score
Yeah, but Flash Tacos is right there so I head down there sometimes. As kitsch as Wicker Park is, there are some interesting things there.
You know there's a sculpture somewhere around there that is just a giant metal piece of poop called the "shit fountain"? And that's it. I have no idea what it is. But it's real.
DSC02493_1.JPG

Reactions: Mustbenice

scatwomb

Reaction score
The best thing about the NATO/G8 thing is the fact that it's in Chicago.

1. What the fuck were they thinking?
2. What the fuck were they fucking thinking?
3. Omg, thank you to whoever the fuck wasn't fucking thinking.
4. I am so excited to see friends I haven't seen in years.
5. Smash the state, etc etc.
6. Friends!
7. Let's all make new friends!

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
The best thing about the NATO/G8 thing is the fact that it's in Chicago.

1. What the fuck were they thinking?
2. What the fuck were they fucking thinking?
3. Omg, thank you to whoever the fuck wasn't fucking thinking.
4. I am so excited to see friends I haven't seen in years.
5. Smash the state, etc etc.
6. Friends!
7. Let's all make new friends!

I would have loved it if there was, "8. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?"

Haha.

- Agni

scatwomb

Reaction score
I would have loved it if there was, "8. Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking?"

Haha.

- Agni

Seriously though, what the fuck did they think would happen if they held it in Chicago during, arguably, the most conflictual time in modern America?

Makes me happy, though. Should be a fun time. I am super excited to see old friends and make new ones.

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
yo let all give a moment of silence for the loss of a great DT flyspot for travelin kids

see you after the apocalypse chi!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads