Reaction score
Would it be worthwhile for me to hitchhike up to Cheyenne from Denver to find more plentiful trains? I’m somewhat new to being on the road and wondering if Cheyenne might be a better place to do some trainspotting to get out where it’s a bit warmer at night. Been freezing my ass off a lot lol. Before you ask, yes I’ve hopped trains before but never from or thru Cheyenne. Some old timer told me they’ve got a million different lines running out of there but I’d like to hear more before I act on his advice

Last edited:

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "better trains", better than what?

Union Pacific and BNSF both have yards in the Denver area. If you're just looking to go "somewhere warm" they should be able to get you started in the right direction...are you trying to go somewhere specific?

But you can hitch hike to Cheyenne and find BNSF and UP yards there as well.

There's a rail atlas in the library section of the forum, maybe you should do some more research...just sayin...

Last edited:

Joey Garbanzo

Muscle of the DiPinto Crime Family
Reaction score
Thank you! This is the kinda info I’m looking for. I really appreciate it. I guess by better trains I mean, more plentiful, more directions.

If you catch out of Denver no one says you can't switch directions or railroads in another siding town or c-c point to catch a train to where you want to go.

numberonenumberreader

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Would it be worthwhile for me to hitchhike up to Cheyenne from Denver to find more plentiful trains? I’m somewhat new to being on the road and wondering if Cheyenne might be a better place to do some trainspotting to get out where it’s a bit warmer at night. Been freezing my ass off a lot lol. Before you ask, yes I’ve hopped trains before but never from or thru Cheyenne. Some old timer told me they’ve got a million different lines running out of there but I’d like to hear more before I act on his advice

If hitching from Denver doesn’t work or takes to long Take the bustang into Fort Collins downtown then either take the 14 bus the 5 miles east to the interstate or walk. That on-ramp with a Cheyenne sign always works for me, if not the trees in the on-ramp circle things you can crawl under the branches and it’s a nice lil hidey hole to sleep or chill in.

If you want somewhere warmer why not head south west instead? Go into New Mexico then straight west along the 40 or 10?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads