cheap, good, backpacks | Squat the Planet

cheap, good, backpacks

C

Cush

i don't know if any of you people have been looking for a reletively inexpensive backpack for hopping, hitching, or whatevering but campmor.com ahs some awesome ones for sale.

http://tinyurl.com/yxlg2o

i've used this backpack before and it's perfect. small enough that you can toss it on your back quickly and just go. it isn't big enough to hurt your back or anything like that. but it's big enough to stuff a sleeping bag, a tent, and some other gear into.

http://tinyurl.com/ybk7hg

if you want a bigger pack ten try this one. it's almost twice the size for only 10 dollars more. It's more of a back country hiking backpack but it would still work.

I'd reccomend the first one if you're picking up something for traveling with but they'd both work quite well. My friend john has the first pack and he's gone cross country with it many times. I'm thinking i might pick up one seeing as the pack i use now is a bit huge.

Post edited by: MattPist, at: 2006/11/21 16:01

D

Deleted member 20

You werent kidding. For $40 bucks that looks like one hell of a pack. The bag I am using now I found along the sidewalk in Boston, while riding my bike to work as a bike messenger one morning. It wasnt trash day & it was empty so I just figure the road gods left it for me. It only needed 1 fastex belt buckle(I actually had a spare @ home). Thats how I started using my black Camptrails Mckinley external frame pack. The one good thing about american culture, is when some yuppie gets a hobby he/she usually takes a lot of that disposable income & buys expensive quality gear that is rarely used,often stored,forgotten, sold cheap or discarded. Thank you yuppies.

seldomseen

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of a cheap used lowe alpine, wished I hadn't given mine away to my ex :( The lowe would be perfect if it had a side zip, which can be installed easily of you are a skilled at sewing.

RoboIsGod

Reaction score
check yardsails. this guy i get bike parts from goes to dumps and yardsails daily and hauls back all sortsa good stuff. he had an all black EMS backpacking pack that he sold to me for $5. the thing looked barely used.

Dameon

Reaction score
Yup, it should. Moved.

Myself, I'm a fan of Army surplus stores. Always a good source of inexpensive, durable packs. My current pack cost me $30 at the one in Seattle, and is completely waterproof and nearly indestructible.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
AliceLarge-OD.jpg

Lightweight%20rucksack,%20back.jpg

and if you get the ones with the frame dont worry its a very light weight carbon fiber.

looks like the one I have but I have a large one ( looks like I'm smuggling midgets in)

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I disagree I have used mine for many years and it work great. its a bit newer than the one in the pic but I dont have a camera right now to photo it.

its a back pack so you must bee retarded if you have a hard time putting it on.
remember put one arm threw the strap them put your other arm threw the other strap, placing it on your back. (diagram available if needed)

menu

Reaction score
I just got a Brithish ruck sack and I am very pleased. its light has an internal frame and has lots of storage space. kinda hard to come by and most people say they like US surplus but I dont think I could have got a better deal for 20 buck out the door.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I got an EMS 4500 ST kicked by a friend a few years ago. It works great for me, I love my pack!

crow

Reaction score
TRACK sells a pack on ebay for 25$
the zippers self heal.
they're stiff at first.
The trap rips easily.
And the fabric rips on tree branches too easily.

But it's a solid pack if you don't mind sewing and patching.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
I've said it before,and will say it again.First,figure out what you want to carry,then figure out the pack.Best bets have always been yardsales and fleamarkets for me,last weekend picked up three fo the oldschool German nesting eating sets(knife,fork,spoon,canopener),and two internal frame backpack(large) for a total of $21 US.

Reaction score
Those bags are worthless long term. Uncomfortable, hard to put on, too many straps and external frame FTL.

very damn true. I have a black one, and goddamn it sucks. And when i look back on it now it was way to expensive for something so uncomfortable.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads