News & Blogs - California looks to prevent people from getting fines for sleeping in their vehicle. | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs California looks to prevent people from getting fines for sleeping in their vehicle.

East

Reaction score
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015...-homeless-people-sleeping-in-cars-from-fines/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The California Assembly is advancing legislation to protect homeless people who live in their cars from fines and vehicle impounds.

Local governments could not punish people caught sleeping in cars under AB718. It advanced to the Senate on Monday with a 54-to-12 vote.

Democratic Assemblyman Kansen Chu of San Jose says his bill lifts a burden from Californians who have lost jobs and homes.

The National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty says three in four California cities prohibit resting or lodging in cars.

Courts and advocates for the homeless have raised concerns about selective enforcement of the rules. Los Angeles is reconsidering its ban on living in cars after losing a court challenge.

Local government and police groups that oppose AB718 say parking lots aren’t designed for living.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press.

----

This bill would prohibit the legislative body of a city, county, or city and county from prohibiting or otherwise subjecting to civil or criminal penalties, or removing or impounding a motor vehicle by reason of, the act of sleeping or resting in a lawfully parked motor vehicle.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is awesome news. I shoulda never left California.

East

Reaction score
Yeah I really hope this gets voted into law it will require a majority vote, looking at the numbers before arriving to the senate makes me pretty confident about it passing, noticed that the senate is majority Dems which is usually ok for things like this. Hopefully they aren't just all about pandering to the rich though, otherwise this thing could get turned on its head. I set up a news alert with google so I'll post any updates on it I might find here. Government is slow, this thing was introduced in January 2015, finally got through the house.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads