burning man

Dmac

Reaction score
has anyone here attended Burning man? i would love to hear about if if you have been there. any pics would be super cool! Thanx

Reactions: Shoestring

Labea

Reaction score
there are alot of burning man fans, or more so obsessors, up here, i would like to go one day, since i've only heard good things...

are there any bad things?

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Isn't it really expensive? I've heard it used to be really cool, but that now it's for yuppies who just want to get all crazy and bohemian and shit. IDK.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
im definitely going to go this year as a volunteer so i don't have to pay. i also think ill probably be getting the more full experience that way.

D

dirty_feet

I remember when I first heard about BM years ago from my friend nathan. Back then even the website wasn't what it is now - I don't think anybody behind it ever thought it would evolve to what it has now. Anyway - I have heard the same things that compass has heard and ticket prices are in the triple digit range - between 100-200$ bucks. It is still an incredible experience - you get what you pay for in this instance.

Labea

Reaction score
yeah i heard it was around 300 bucks last year? and i thought WOAH thats alot but then my friend informed me that once your in, everything is free, clothes, food, whatever.

how do you go about become a volunteer, matt?

Geoff

Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing. is it fenced off or something? if it's just in the middle of a desert what's keeping people from just showing up without paying?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
it's 210 right now, until they sell the first 9,000 tickets, then it goes up to like 260 for the next 9,000 tickets, and so on up till like 350 i think.

i dunno how they could keep you from "sneaking" in, but it's a big wide open desert, so it'd be hard for them to not see you coming!

by the way, food, drink, etc, is NOT FREE once you're in. and from what i understand, there isn't a whole lot of it there for you to get. you need to pack in a week's worth of water and food for yourself.

if you want to get a good feel for the burning man experience, there's a ton of videos on Current TV:

http://current.com/search/0.htm?s=on&v=on&r=off&q=burning+man&x=0&y=0

but yeah, anyways, im getting a school bus this month, and a friend of mine and myself are doing down there probably a week early to volunteer. id be willing to give a ride to anyone that's interested.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
any pics would be super cool! Thanx

also, doing a search for burning man on flickr.com will pull up more awesome pictures than you can stand.

Dmac

Reaction score
thanks for thr responses, i an awair of the diferent websites out there, covering burning man, but i was more interested in hearing first hand reports of it and the whole "being there" type storie. i was not awair of the high price though! i will park and sneak in at night, before i pay that!!!!!

Geoff

Reaction score
ArrowInOre said:
here, try this, show up all torn up from travel and look defenseless and pitiful. Some desert warrior is sure to take you in under their wing-tent-large weird vehicle..

i was thinking of something along those lines. ha ha

Dmac

Reaction score
super, did not know they did anything close to nebraska, thanks guy!

Reaction score
My GF and I did our TX regional burn this past year. It's called Flipside and is fucking awesome.

Waaaaay cheaper then Burning Man, and better weather (despite heat).

We aren't going this year due to economy and other bullshit, but prolly hit it up next year.

REAL Burner culture is awesome.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads