bulk patching fabric? | Squat the Planet

bulk patching fabric?

Unslap

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with heavy duty fabric from a craft store or something? Id like to get a few feet of strong black material so i can slice off a piece, burn the edges and keep my beloved pants together. Theyre really desintigrating in parts...

Dead horse

Reaction score
Hopefully someone's got something out there I got a pair myself I'm scared to wear these days that are more patch then pant, tired of buying those little multi-packs of sowing patches and throwing away all the brightly colored ones and only keeping the black and navy blue

FolkYouDad

Reaction score
Grab some black canvas, it'll last longer than the shitty cloth it's holding together. Or just grab some fancy work pants that'll last years without needing a patch

bryanpaul

Reaction score
keep an eye out for an old leather/fake leather sofa or chair ......... thrift store dumpsters are always worth checkin....can usually get a few good patches out of a leather purse.......

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
keep an eye out for an old leather/fake leather sofa or chair ......... thrift store dumpsters are always worth checkin....can usually get a few good patches out of a leather purse.......

^^^ YES. leather is the way to go. it won't fray and it's strong. bryanpaul named a few good places for leather. also check out shoe/cobble type shops or saddle shops. old wallets make good patches too.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Reactions: Dead horse

Unslap

Reaction score
Actually i had a leather patch made from a jansport packpack and it developed a hole where it folded over a bit. also they take forever to sew/break needles/cant overlap patches... I will look for canvas at the store,

RockyTheFlyingSquirrel

Reaction score
Looks like sources for patches have been covered, a tip I can offer is waxing your pants. Look it up on google.. Waxing your clothing will literally expand the lifespan of the fabric ten fold, and it's dirt cheap. Looking at getting some myself.. It's hard to let your gear go, isn't it? So many memories in those threads..

Unslap

Reaction score
Yes wax your pants so that when you sweat the moisture cant escape and all the months stench of ball rot and misplaced diarrhea are amplified like a wet dog.

D

Deleted member 20

I have always wondered how trampoline fabric would work? I assume it would fray unless cut with a hotknife? I beileve its polypropylene (so its like heavy duty under armour), wicks away moisture, sweat & repells stink. People routinely offer up old trampolines for scrap metal guys on craigslist. I believe most people just slice the fabric off the springs, ball it up & toss it in a trash bag. If someone has a hotknife & industrial sewing machine your in luck.

ratking

Reaction score
I like duck cloth a lot. Pretty strong/durable canvas.
Hella cheap too. Its like $3.75 a yard from a craft store.
Its the same stuff most Carhartt shit is made out of.

that one guy

Playful asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Said it before, I'm a little older now (if in my head only) all my patchy pants are blue jeans now, I have no problem finding donor material, my three favorite pairs of work bluejeans are patched all over the knees and thighs, if it weren't for the varying shade of the denim I'd fit in well with the normies, but most would just assume they were store bought that way I'm sure.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads