building ship 2 sail world.

foxtailV

Reaction score
i have recentlly taken possesion of a 50ft shrimpboat, previouslly owned by the department of natural resourses. its got much work to get it ready and if anyone is intreasted in traveling with me then just drop a line. the ship will be bulked up a bit to take on a crew ie.. from 50ft to 100ft extension. i mean to have this thing finished in a year or less. as in most trips i take i dont in tend to live through this but thats the part that seems to be some divine comedy , about someone who is always in a hurry to die , but is consistentlly late for his own funeral. if your courious or just traveling through chas. sc hit me up. i live on land and boat theres plenty of room and its so close to town u could yell and riase a noise ordance in the most prestigious parts of the downtown districts, if all this seems abit bizarre your right ... but it does not mean it isnt true.:crew::crew::sos::sos::sos:

christa

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
that sounds amazing I hope you find yourself a crew mate. where do you plan on sailing to once the boat is fixed up? and have you sailed far distances before?

JohnFNB

Reaction score
how many crew mates are you looking for....if you want a whole crew we could just basically sail the seven seas and dock in towns for a while and earn money for supplies....then just sail off. hell i guess we could do it forever. better than a regular job. LIKE A PIRATE COMMUNE. seriously hit me up with details..

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
as in most trips i take i dont in tend to live through this but thats the part that seems to be some divine comedy , about someone who is always in a hurry to die , but is consistentlly late for his own funeral.

Taking a small boat to sea is as good a way to die as any and better than most.

I'm assuming she's steel. Are you doing the extension yourself? What's she got for power? Just curious. Good luck!

joemojave

Reaction score
I am down to help work on her, especially if she is steel cause I can weld. I might also like to join the crew but I dont have any experiance so I might be more of a nuisance than a help. Next time I am in the area I will drop you a line and maby we can meet up.

foxtailV

Reaction score
how many crew mates are you looking for....if you want a whole crew we could just basically sail the seven seas and dock in towns for a while and earn money for supplies....then just sail off. hell i guess we could do it forever. better than a regular job. LIKE A PIRATE COMMUNE. seriously hit me up with details..
i like the way discribe what seems to be an life of merrys , row boating through lifes waves, i coundt agree more. the details are diffantlly for the devil.. i swear if my wagon wheel falls off one more time... i ll start a world wide tidal wave just to suRf the turf..i will keep u posted.. but heres a little something to think about i need people help with puttin a boat together like papa neutrino did, except this boat starts with a 50 ft shrimp boat and i fill the hull with 2 part foam ..because its not water tight but this should do one hell of a number on its integrity and float capisty..then we add on either little by little to increase the lenght or we just grab another shrimpboat which seem to be up and down this coast by god if not my very own harbor . attach it foam it to and well there are all these sail boats abandoned and there mast would help with sail the open sea. a motor also will be a must but not the main source of propulsion , ive also given thought to a six person recumbent style bicycles powering the prop with posable pedal assist through electric motors. everyone can get a little exercise if things get long and still keep healthy, owe tennesse rocks i travel that area like the back of my hand memphis , nash ,chatt. lived in all of them and road those tracks..destinations is south to the islands then down to south africa then through the red sea n..not afraid of somalians with weapons areu? once through hostile waters then dock at jordanian port i hope to pick up my sister ,husband and kids and get them a new life they are stuck thanks to this countries red tape and my in abilitty to pay 50,000 for an imigration lawyer. once aboard then to either thialand austrilla or new zealand to eche out as much of a living as possable and keep those visas from leaving us high and dry.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I got a couple of thoughts that will hopefully be helpful.

First you should be aware that fishing boats are designed to be most stable when their holds are full. Also I don't know if the original engine and gear is still in, but if not you need to calculate the weight of all the gear, full hold, fuel tanks etc and put that much ballast down in the bilge before you foam it or she will be too light and may want to float on her side. Even worse, when she meets a wave she will probably want to roll over on her back and stay there. If you're planning on adding extra structures on deck you need to calculate their weight and add that to the ballast as well. Also your rudder is designed to have the wash from the propeller across it when steering, so it's probably not going to do very well for steering when sailing.

Second, the prevailing winds will be against you for crossing the Atlantic to Africa in the northern hemisphere. Look at this HowStuffWorks "Maps of World Prevailing Winds"
You'll probably want to get down around the horn of Brazil and wait for favorable weather before heading across to South Africa. You don't want to go too far north or you'll end up here Skeleton Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but you don't want to go too far south or you'll miss Africa altogether and end up in these Roaring Forties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which would take you on a wild ride to Australia.

Third, when you're within 200 miles of land you need to figure that you will be under regular surveillance and will probably be boarded regularly by the navies of the countries whose waters you are passing through. They're gonna assume that you're a smuggler and hassle you. You're not going to be able to come in to most ports for food and water without a bunch of permits and inspections which can cost a bunch of $$$. It's kind of a racket but its how they pay for the inspectors.

I hope this helps. It's good to have your eyes open when you're starting a big project.

Good luck!

foxtailV

Reaction score
wow this is all good to know thanx for the heads up this is looking more like a mission imposable im thankful for this information on the boats phsyics but that stuff about permits and being boarded really is another thing , i had no idea about. i wonder how papa neutrino did his adventure on a shoe string budget? and thankx for the info on the sailing winds.. have u watched the papa neutrino u tube? very intresting raftologist... if u can think of any loop-holes through these permits im one to try anything. 200miles or so from coast can u sneak through with kayaks w/motors for supplies? this sounds like train ridin through hell and back!

foxtailV

Reaction score
this may sound perfectlly ass a nine, but here goes... u know those tall ships that sail around the world touring countries and taken on yuppies? the ships of old? well why not follow them and just benifit from there wake , like every town the go to we go the rags of the outfit well be totallly hated cause well be the shit that all others want be able to compare.. well get some of the benifits of the cities that open there services and friendship to sailors ...seeing us many locals will assume were of there ilk ..this could be intresting to see would strange situations u can get into. it may even make the trips successful can u just imagine havin to play cloak and dagger with these crews and they just want seem to be able to figure out where we come from but were in every town they go to? this could also get bad with them sending word ahead to other places and amongst themselves.. but i still think we could ride ifor what its worth this is just one possable scenerio ive thought worth its salt.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I just looked at the Poppa Neutrino site. It looks like he had problems too. The raft that crossed the Atlantic looks like it may have gotten confiscated in France, and the one that was headed for the South Pacific never made it through the Panama Canal (which has tons of paperwork. You really need to hire an agent, a pilot, etc. or you don't move in the canal zone.)

There is a whole culture of the kind of living you're talking about. In a lot of ports if you look carefully you'll see the under-the-radar liveaboards. Some are sqatting on other people's boats. Some own their boat and nothing more, working odd jobs and spanging for a living. You can tell the boats that never move. They're like the homebums. The guys who anchor out and row back and forth to the beach to save moorage fees sometimes are some pretty hardcore sailors. These are the guys you need to talk to.

Like riding freights, the ninja skills count. You keep a low profile and try to blend in with the yuppie boats as much as possible or you get hassled. So probably avoid big tall ship events and boat shows when security is really heavy and there's no place to anchor.

If I was going to liveaboard I'd be looking for a generic fiberglass sailboat for cheap/free because there are so many they're almost invisible. If you're sailing off the coast of Latin America you can usually get supplies without actually entering port by dealing with the pangas ( local fishing boats). You can still get boarded by the Navy/Coast Guard though. Always make sure you have good ID and title to your boat, and no guns or drugs that can be found on a fairly thorough search, or your boat will be confiscated.

foxtailV

Reaction score
its so strange being this train rider given up that life to the sea? its funny u know so much about it. which is cool , ive been offered sailboats ,but i think i want a big vessel, like the shrimpboat 2 start, then alter it 2 keep it from losing its keel. im just about as liable to try any little unseen idea out there, thats what i want ..the challenge in pulling it off would be huge.. owe about papas boat being taken if i remember right they pulled into a port and an admirer came by and said how much he liked it and papa said u want it and that was the way of it. i diffenantlly dont want the boat taken do u know why anyone would?

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
They can confiscate your boat for any number of reasons if they think you're being an idiot or a dick.

There are usually 3 levels of law enforcement: Harbor Patrol, local Police department, and US Coast Guard, and they work together. If the think they're going to have to drag your sunken boat out of the harbor, fish your drowned ass out of the water, or the yachties in port are complaining that your boat stinks and is spoiling the view, you can expect to get hassled with safety inspections, asked to move your boat regularly, watched through binoculars etc. until you get the message that you're not welcome. If that doesn't work, there are fines, and if you don't pay them then they can confiscate your boat.

Honestly they've got a lot of right on their side. More than one idiot with a boat he can't handle or doesn't know how to anchor properly has come sweeping through and anchorage destroying boats as he goes.

Also, if you're going international you need to know that if Customs or Coast Guard find even one illegal seed, that's enough evidence for them to confiscate your boat for trafficing, and there is no way to challenge it.

I understand wanting the big boat, but they cost a lot more in all ways (dock space charges by the foot, they require bigger anchors, chains etc.) plus they are a LOT harder to learn to control. Also I've known guys who took free sailboats and lived on them while they fixed them up and then sold them for $1500.

I'm just saying if you get the small sailboat for a season until you can handle it well and have learned the basic rules of the game, you will never regret it.

It pays to be as professional as you can. Law enforcement and the other boaters will judge you by how well you handle and maintain your boat. If you look like you know what your doing they'll usually cut you a lot of slack. If you don't they'll see you as a threat and find a way to shut you down. Kinda like riding trains or squatting, huh?

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
By the way, the law allows for the CG to fine up to $10,000 for getting a few drops of oil in the water, toxic paint chips etc. The way they interpret this in California pretty much means you have to haul your boat out at a boatyard to work on it if it's too big to trailer. Alaska cuts you a lot more slack about doing maintenance in the water. Oregon and Washington are somewhere in between. Before you get too far into your project you probably ought to talk to the locals and see how they're enforcing in your area.

ProfessorX

Reaction score
I would be down to help out. I am in San Francisco right now but could probably make my way across the country later this summer. I would definatly be down for some world travel. I know the basics on how to rig up a wind generator too could help with this. The guy that said you would need food and water, I wouldn't worrie about water, all you need is a desalinator, ocean is full of water. Count me in, I definatly am interested in going to SC to help out with your project.

foxtailV

Reaction score
your more than welcome.. this dreamboat is going to take a lot of vision, and thats what it takes to dream..there is some things u should know ...i dont expect anyone to do more than they want to do, thats what makes each of us our own island, and im more intrested in the individual , who thinks and faces those thoughts. professor X is a name that makes me think of a visionary...follow your lifes zeal.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads