building ship 2 sail world.

ProfessorX

Reaction score
Right on. Thought of something. I know it is expensive to more your boat. How hard is it to just drop anchor near shore and take a row boat in to land. Does this work can your ship float away to sea?

foxtailV

Reaction score
ok im going to try and paint this picture , the boat is beached on the island i live on , there are other boats all listed as abandoned next to it. i would like to get the boat fixed before moving it into the harbor. intresting facts about the boat 1: it was bought in 07-08 ish .. the boat was fine at the time just couldnt stay afloat without the bilges running 24-7. the owners whom bought it from the state of sc for a dollar couldnt stay on the boat all the time... they left one day and the generators running the pumps failed ..the boat sank to its neck and floated down the ashley river.. some how with few scratches so as to spare them the tragedy of bowling for yachts ...haha lol.. soooo it goes to the boat dump ie.. my island probablly no further than a few football fields from its original mooring... and the state/city keep makin claims of cleaning these and other boats up! there are many all around the harbor, this is a common trend around the coast , due to the economic descension. and most people with any grasp of details knows that the money it would take to clean up is long since gone and there not inventive enough to find the time or resources to carry this clean up...THE BOAT IS JUST SITTING THERE NOBODY OWNS IT , INCLUDING ME. I DONT WANT TO TAKE OWNERSHIP UNTIL I CAN FLOAT IT IN THE WATER. This is due to the fact that since the Gov. cant seem to drum up funds to remove the boats everywhere theve set out to try and fine the previous owners ..which is funny since this tack has proved stupid..they cant be found most the time and even if they do..they dont have anyway of paying, if i was to take over this boat before its off the island i would chanceing these fines.. so why not wait till its ready to be water until owning it ... sure i could do all kinds of work to this boat and suddenlly have someone else swipe it from my feet , but this is almost as likly as the boats being all cleaned up. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT I CAN EXPECT TO PAY IN TAXES AND TAGS THIS WOULD BE HELPFUL..................... so i hope this gives anyone intrested an idea at whats what.. and that is going to be a run for ur money...so to speak...

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT I CAN EXPECT TO PAY IN TAXES AND TAGS THIS WOULD BE HELPFUL..................... so i hope this gives anyone intrested an idea at whats what.. and that is going to be a run for ur money...so to speak...

In Washington the annual registration costs $20 plus half a percent of the value of the boat. It sounds like you can prove that your boat is worth $1 so that's not a problem. It'll probably be a little different in your state, but I'm guessing not by much.

Thanks for painting the picture. I get it now.

Here's the good news. I'd bet money there's nothing wrong with the hull. 90% of this kind of sinking are from stuffing boxes that needed to be repacked (that's the fitting where the propeller shaft goes through the hull). The other 10% are from the a leak at the sea cock (that's the through-hull fitting where water comes in for heat exchangers for generators and things like that.

You could probably just start bailing with a bucket and eventually get it to float, though that would be a hell of a lot of work. If you want it to stay floating all you'd have to do is shoot a can foam right around the shaft and stuffing box, and drive a wooden plug in the outside of the hole to the sea cock.

Sounds like you've got yourself a project. Good luck man!

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No thats not all folks . . .
FoxtailV you seem to have also stumbled upon the pirate motive that i have alwase known about . .. .
are you still in NC? i will come down if so and we can/will take the area by storm I'm already chasting my self for an epic aquatic life and stuff see my thread here> http://squattheplanet.com/getting-there/other-forms-travel/12092-modern-day-piracy-crew-poll.html
I could use some other motivated individuals like your self - but don't worry you can still be your own captain!
theres 100's of other boats and probably in better shape one thing you learn quick in the boating world is that nothing is for certain! governments, jealous people and mother nature can and will take shit from you over and over again if you don't walk the line the only way to overcome is to be steadfast and sometimes cutthroat in your endevours. . .

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes, get down there. I am enroute now. Wish I knew the name of that island and the extent of the "cleanup" hate to get down there and see a bunch of impoverished people gainfully employed with sawzalls and dumptrucks handling shreaded fibreglass and salt blistered aluminum. converge on Charleston SC I will need all the help I can get . . .

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads