Budget gear for a bike tour | Squat the Planet

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
So, after many failed attempts at finding a reliable road dawg, I'm saying fuck it and hitting the road on my lonesome. This is greatly inspired by Gypsybones. Reading about his trips gets my blood flowing. After doing extensive research I've put together a budget setup for those broke asses such as myself. Most can be found on amazon and the bike can be had off Craigslist for cheap. No excuses.
Blackburn front rack $26
Bushwacker Moab front panniers $50
BV rear racks $20
BV rear panniers $20
Walmart- Ozark trails 40liter dry bag $16(bungee to rear top of rack)
Plus, bungee cords, zip ties, tools, extra tubes n patch kit, Arno straps,
I'm sure others have some it cheaper, this is just what works for my budget.
Cheers! And safe travels

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
So, after many failed attempts at finding a reliable road dawg, I'm saying fuck it and hitting the road on my lonesome. This is greatly inspired by Gypsybones. Reading about his trips gets my blood flowing. After doing extensive research I've put together a budget setup for those broke asses such as myself. Most can be found on amazon and the bike can be had off Craigslist for cheap. No excuses.
Blackburn front rack $26
Bushwacker Moab front panniers $50
BV rear racks $20
BV rear panniers $20
Walmart- Ozark trails 40liter dry bag $16(bungee to rear top of rack)
Plus, bungee cords, zip ties, tools, extra tubes n patch kit, Arno straps,
I'm sure others have some it cheaper, this is just what works for my budget.
Cheers! And safe travels
Right on for not letting $ hold you back. Ultimately, you can hop on any old bike, and start pedaling to freedom. It’s an amazing feeling. I totally agree that @Gypsybones is inspiring reading.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Do you have a tent? IdI get the alps lynx 1 its like 60 bucks on amazon

Last edited:

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Reactions: Gypsybones

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
I actually have a nice Marmot tent I bought off of a co-worker for $20. Also got a 20 degree down bag ($30), north face down jacket for $10. And some other awesome gear. He was trying to get rid of a lot of his stuff to travel. I took the deals. Lol
Now I'm trying to resist over packing. I'll also be carrying bear spray in case of emergency.
Has anyone used a cheaper front and rear racks? I don't want to go too cheap and have shit break on me, but I'm also on a budget.

Do you have a tent? IdI get the alps lynx 11itsi like 60 bucks bonus amazon

hazeinmybong

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I'm in Iowa going down the Mississippi. I bought a new Jamis Trail X mountain bike off the floor of a bike shop in Waukesha, WI called Trail Side Cycles for $250. The owner, Hans, cut me a deal because he recognized me as a guy who bummed around town on an old Schwinn. It was a model year old and had a small scratch on the frame from another bikes peddle. When I left, I put a couple of old Avenir bags on it that I got from a guy who would work on my bikes gratis. I rode that thing all over Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, and Colorado. Someone stole it in Colorado at an emergency shelter during a blizzard. There were some bums there laughing about how they "relieved me" of it; like the burden is too great for me and those guys can ride it better.

Last edited:

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score

hazeinmybong

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yep. I am experimenting with a carbon fiber Trek 5500 I got on Craigslist for $650 including a Cycle Ops Fluid Trainer. I attached a regular planet bicycle aluminum rack to with plastic pipe band where the top of the rack attaches to the frame. So far, no problems with that. I have a regular $35 tent, sleeping pad, polyester blanket, a couple cheep bags. I got hooked up with a front bag in Marshalltown, IA by Matt @ Black Tire Bikes. Which has been essential because I am riding from city to city and getting cans at food banks.

Yesterday, I did 71mi from Trempealau, WI to Prescott, WI in 4hrs and 10 minutes @ 17.5mph. I am in Saint Paul, MN right now. I will write up a little of my experience over at my thread.

I've decided I do want to get a more lightweight tent, a cooker, and water filter to do the northern route. A cooker with dehydrated meals would be much more portable fuel. Dehydrated meals only need to cook like 3 minutes so the fuel consumption is small, especially if the cooking vessel is insulated. I even kind of am considering experimenting with dehydrating the food from the cans. I also want to hit it with some harder tires.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Yes, I'm out and about. To me there's nothing more amazing than seeing the country this way. I'm a very quiet type, So i'm not really one to want to strike up conversations with people- which, a lot of people ask about bike touring,where you going, etc. etc. I'm trying to get use to that. are you out and about Geraldo?
So did you do it? Are you out and about?

Reactions: Dunedrifter

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Look into those beercan stoves. lightweight and don't require a lot of fuel. Check goodwill for a pot-- I found a titanium cook pot for $2. Geartrade has great deals on sleeping bags.
Yep. I am experimenting with a carbon fiber Trek 5500 I got on Craigslist for $650 including a Cycle Ops Fluid Trainer. I attached a regular planet bicycle aluminum rack to with plastic pipe band where the top of the rack attaches to the frame. So far, no problems with that. I have a regular $35 tent, sleeping pad, polyester blanket, a couple cheep bags. I got hooked up with a front bag in Marshalltown, IA by Matt @ Black Tire Bikes. Which has been essential because I am riding from city to city and getting cans at food banks.

Yesterday, I did 71mi from Trempealau, WI to Prescott, WI in 4hrs and 10 minutes @ 17.5mph. I am in Saint Paul, MN right now. I will write up a little of my experience over at my thread.

I've decided I do want to get a more lightweight tent, a cooker, and water filter to do the northern route. A cooker with dehydrated meals would be much more portable fuel. Dehydrated meals only need to cook like 3 minutes so the fuel consumption is small, especially if the cooking vessel is insulated. I even kind of am considering experimenting with dehydrating the food from the cans. I also want to hit it with some harder tires.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Since I'll be going through a lot of wooded areas I opted for hammock and tarp, also have a lightweight Bivvy with me.
Do you have a tent? IdI get the alps lynx 1 its like 60 bucks on amazon

D

Deleted member 16034

Yes, I'm out and about. To me there's nothing more amazing than seeing the country this way. I'm a very quiet type, So i'm not really one to want to strike up conversations with people- which, a lot of people ask about bike touring,where you going, etc. etc. I'm trying to get use to that. are you out and about Geraldo?

Not quite yet. I got five more weeks of work and one week of clearing out my apartment before I'm there yet. But it appers that I either already have everything I need or it's being made. So I'm just counting down the seconds

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
UPDATE: I got my bike off of craigslist, a steel frame, mid 90's Schwinn for $60. I put a front and rear rack on it, put Schwalbe marathon tires on it, changed the crankshaft since shimano had a recall back in 97' and they still are honoring that recall. I got some decent panniers(originally made bucket panniers) also added a few dry bags that i got at a great discount that way shit stays somewhat dry.
i also added a picture of the same bike but different color that a guy totally revamped. His project turned out amazing. Thanks goes to Gypsybones for all his advice!
IMG_20180613_101325785_2.jpg
searcher upgrade.jpg

Reactions: Dunedrifter

MFB

Reaction score
As Budget-y as it gets....
Once I road a $40 Wal-Mart bike across Cent Am; Plus $1 for some bungees to lash my pack to the rack.
About 3,000 miles over 60 days.
It was dope. And excrutiating.
Other bike tour-ers, we'd get to chattin, were a mixture of befuddled and offended when the saw my rig.

Todo Terraino, yo

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_140610 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20171228_140610 - Edited.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_20180106_174054 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20180106_174054 - Edited.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 359

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
That's so badass.

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Used an old lunch bag and zip tied it to the front rack to carry my bike tools in. Zip ties are great!

Attachments

• foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    foto_no_exif (3).jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 300
  • foto_no_exif (2).jpg
    foto_no_exif (2).jpg
    727.8 KB · Views: 283

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads