bridge between Russia and Alaska could lead to the ultimate road trip | Squat the Planet

bridge between Russia and Alaska could lead to the ultimate road trip

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
http://www.theplaidzebra.com/a-pote...-alaska-could-lead-to-the-ultimate-road-trip/

A potential bridge between Russia and Alaska could lead to the ultimate road trip
April 20, 2015
1_bridge-between-Russia-and-Alaska-750x400.jpg

BY: ZOE MELNYK

A road trip stretching from New York City all the way to London could be possible if Russia’s plans work out to build a mega highway connecting Russia’s easternmost border with Alaska’s westernmost border.

The idea has been speculated for years, but the Russian Railways’ President Vladimir Yakunin finally proposed plans on March 23 calling it the “Trans-Eurasian Belt Development” (TEPR).

So what does a road trip from New York City to London entail exactly?

Beginning from New York City, the route would go across the northern border of the United States with the following scenic pit stops:

• Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania
• Cedar Point Amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio
• Michigan City, along lake Michigan in Indiana
• Chicago, Illinois
• Minneapolis, Minnesota

2_bridge-between-Russia-and-Alaska.jpg

After driving through part of North Dakota, the route crosses over the border into Saskatchewan, Canada and passes through the following Canadian attractions:

• Calgary, Alberta
• Banff National Park
• Edmonton, Alberta
• Northern Rocky Mountains Provincial Park, British Columbia
• Kluane National Park and Reserve of Canada, Yukon

The route would then pass over the border again, but this time into Alaska. The nearest city to the proposed bridge right now is Fairbanks and if you’re wondering how far you have come at this point, that’s a total of 4,244 miles, which would approximately take a little over three days of driving straight through.

This is where new construction would have to come in. A highway would have to be made for travellers to go from Fairbanks to the westernmost tip of Alaska—where no road currently exists. The road would be about 520 miles, another eight hours driving through Alaska.

3_bridge-between-Russia-and-Alaska.jpg

If the proposed connection—it is not clear whether it will be a bridge or a tunnel—is built where it is intended, it would be 55 miles long, taking about an hour to cross.

Once in Russia, the longest stretch of the road trip is still ahead. Russia, being the largest country in the world, stretches about 6,200 miles. The route goes through the popular cities in Russia including its capitol, Moscow, taking a little over four days to complete.

The rest of the European countries are significantly shorter than Russia, with only about 1,500 miles left which would be approximately one full day of driving. The route passes through the following six European countries:

• Belarus
  • Poland
  • Germany
  • Netherlands
  • Belgium
  • France
Finally, after reaching the English Channel at the northwest corner of France, the route crosses over into the UK and reaches the final destination of London.

That’s a grand total of 12,519 miles and almost nine days of driving straight, not to mention all of the incredible stops along the way.

Before you start planning the most impressive road trip ever, be aware that the plans have not been officially accepted since specific details of the highway still need to be discussed, including the large budget. The project is estimated to cost trillions of dollars, but Yakunin is confident that despite the large price tag, Russia will still receive a profit from the major highway.

With this new super highway, the majority of the world will be connected via road, creating a way to travel and exchange products in a way that has never before been done.

Time to start saving for a motorcycle (and 12,519 miles worth of gas).

4_bridge-between-Russia-and-Alaska.jpg

Greg Cazman2 days ago

EDIT: NOT MY COMMENT! ONE FROM THE ORIGINAL PAGE

Are you kidding me? Are you actually in support of yet another avenue of illegal immigrants, weapons, drugs, cash and potentially military operatives to get to the United States of America. Ask you self why The Soviet Union, oh Sorry, Russia or what ever they are calling their communist ideals these days, why, just why they would want to build a land bridge to the United States.
I say WAKE UP AMERICA, these people are not your FRIENDS, they are a HOSTILE country that declares war on one of their own states so they can seize the best costal vacation spots, and another port to militarize.
Who am I kidding you will never publish this.
I hope you are one of the first people to loose everything to foreign nationals when they usurp America.
Tootles moron.

Last edited:

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
LOL I love that you added that commentary. That was my first thought as well. I love how they're also glossing over the legal complications of border control as people cross into foreign nations.
I wonder who else benefits, and how.

D

Deleted member 20

I hope you are one of the first people to loose everything to foreign nationals when they usurp America

I dont give a crap about global politics, North American politics, US, CA Politics & sure as hell dont give a shit about EU politics. Europe was once many sovereign nations, now its just one place with the same currency & economy with borders a thing of the past. I have little to nothing to loose. I love how once enemies are now trading & visiting each other in the name of free trade. This Bridge will create a land link between these two capitalist super powers. Russia is no longer communist, they are all about consumerism & capitalism. The whole world has gone crazy for cheap stuff, we make everything out of plastic to be thrown out & repurchased multiple times. Globalization has already become evident but now the corporations must continue to reach more markets.

I will still have to kayak across the Bering Straight since I dont have a passport so this bridge dont help me at all. Now if this is a railroad bridge now then I am all for it. Since everyone wants to come to the US & I am a legal citizen of the US, hopefully the security heading into Russia would be relaxed. Returning to the US is as simple as walking back thru the border crossing when I am done traveling! Come on Railroad bridge!!!!

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
The concept is great. I don't think the world is ready. The security headaches alone... yeesh! And all that consumerism... Actually I take that back, it's materialism I have a problem with. Anyway...

K

Kim Chee

Russia is having a tough enough time right now without undertaking any grandiose public works projects.

Epic road trips are to be had everywhere, no need to reserve "epicness" to certain stretches of asphalt.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
even if they did approve it, it would take like 20 years to build, so i don't think it's really worth worrying about.

Are you kidding me? Are you actually in support of yet another avenue of illegal immigrants, weapons, drugs, cash and potentially military operatives to get to the United States of America. Ask you self why The Soviet Union, oh Sorry, Russia or what ever they are calling their communist ideals these days, why, just why they would want to build a land bridge to the United States.
I say WAKE UP AMERICA, these people are not your FRIENDS, they are a HOSTILE country that declares war on one of their own states so they can seize the best costal vacation spots, and another port to militarize.
Who am I kidding you will never publish this.
I hope you are one of the first people to loose everything to foreign nationals when they usurp America.
Tootles moron.

honestly i had to wonder if you accidentally copied one of the comments on the article since this doesn't sound like you at all. as much as russia would like to be a super power of the world, it's simply not going to happen. they've got too many internal troubles, and the usa is simply too far ahead in terms of economy and military power. who cares if we build a road to russia? one bomber is all it takes to cut that thing off in a time of war, so i really don't see the big deal.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
honestly i had to wonder if you accidentally copied one of the comments on the article since this doesn't sound like you at all.

I did copy it, definitely not the way I see the world ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
.... That's never gonna happen. Wish it would.

yeah, we don't have nearly enough commerce to justify something like that. we're going to lift the ban on cuba soon anyways, so a 90 mile boat trip wouldn't be that difficult (hell, there's a tourist ferry that goes from key west to the tortugas in about 6 hours, which is about 70 miles).

angerisagift

Reaction score
yeah, we don't have nearly enough commerce to justify something like that. we're going to lift the ban on cuba soon anyways, so a 90 mile boat trip wouldn't be that difficult (hell, there's a tourist ferry that goes from key west to the tortugas in about 6 hours, which is about 70 miles).
prolly right but if some1 is thinking of a bridge btw russia/alaska then Cuba/Florida looooks way easier.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
prolly right but if some1 is thinking of a bridge btw russia/alaska then Cuba/Florida looooks way easier.

Well the bridge between Russia and the US would service trade not only from Russia, but Asia, and well the rest of Europe, middle East ext. Right now containers from Eurasia come by train to ports like say Shanghi, then transfer to ships and float over to Prince Rupert BC, then go back onto trains again and then continue on. Ships take about 10 days to go from Shanghai to Prince Rupert, not including the loading unloading of the boats and trains each time.

With a bridge across the barring straight the trains would just head up and over much quicker. They could do it in 2 sections, 1st to the Diomede islands from Alaska (25 miles) then on to Russia (another 25 miles). Its very possible as "The world's longest bridge is the Danyang–Kunshan Grand Bridge in China, part of the Beijing-Shanghai High-Speed Railway. The bridge, which opened in June 2011, spans 102.4 miles"

Now Let me also throw a few numbers at you guys which I just found in the WTO trade statistics from 2013. Chinese Import/export for 2013... A whopping 4,159 billion US$ (I dont even know how to say that number), That's China alone. The States isn't far behind with $3,909 billion in trade. If there is any intensive to build bridges, its numbers like that. Add in the shipping times getting cut by 3/4ers and its worth while.
Cant say there is anywhere near that kind of opportunity with a Cuba/US Bridge.

Last edited:

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
So @wizehop will this bridge mean more freight train traffic? if so then I am all for it. Perhaps I can sneak into more than the few countries located in North America.

My guess is its more about business and money, and less about road trips for the public. So I would have to think so, if that is the case then I'm with you. And If I was a betting man, I'd bet the trains will be fuuuucking llooonngg!

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads