Book suggestions?

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I have a barnes and noble gift card that i need to use asap, will consider all book suggestions, does NOT have to be about travelling, only stipulation is it must be avail. where im going because well, i hate waiting for shit when i order online(stupid american, instant gratification) thanks ahead of timeeeee.(goodjob)

crampicide

Reaction score
i know this post is really old and your card prob works for shit now

-100 years of solitude by gabriel marquez is an excellent read
-as well as a lot of books by victor pelevin (i.e the life of insects, blue lantern, but all are good.)
-the master and the margarita by mikhail bulgakov is good
a lot of these authors work is downloadable, though its looked down upon, its free, and these books are really good for your brain as well as enjoyable to read if thats what youre looking for.

oh..i think you may like a book called" the yellow arrow. " this is a victor pelevin book, but seems linear to your interests, in my opinion. in 82 pages, he wrote one of the best stories i have ever read.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
Dinotopia, the big illustrated version. if you take it with you to shit, you'll never come back. or at least you won't ever ever ever get bored.

The Skeptical Feminist by Barbara G. Walker, total mind-blower. Reading this right now. If you hate religion but aren't reaaaally sure how to back up your arguments with the religious dweebles around you, or you just want some reinforcement, read this book. Do it. Do it now.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is also pretty good. Reading this right now, too. Way better than the movie, but a wee bit more greusome.

I could go on for ages. Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome is really good, too. It's technically a "kid" book, but I'd recommend it to anyone.

1544c

Reaction score
I'm into fiction and science fiction

You Can't Win by Jack Black (not the guy from Tenacious D)
it's about this dude that lives in the dying days of the old west. He's a thief and the book follows all of his heists, never a dry part in the book
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
A Place of Dead Roads and The Western Lands by William Burroughs
Out of The Silent Planet by CS Lewis (the only thing i'd recommend by this guy)
Post Office, Women, Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
hah, I was trying to remember the name of the Jack Black book. I want to read that at some point.

Travels With Charley in Search of America by Steinbeck is really fucking good as well.

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
You should get your books from a library, all the awsome ones are there, probably, you will only have more trouble finding recent ones, or oprah sticker bestsellers, no ofense. The Road by mccarty is great, has a strange feeling into it, found it randomly on the library shelf when looking for books about anarchism and self suficiency.
Ive also read Pearl S. Buck, liked it very much and her work is big, its about China,some time before the comunist revolution

ipoPua

Reaction score
anything by vonnegut. my favorites are probably sirens of titan and timequake, but they're all amazing. the hobbit, ofcourse. the sorrows/sufferings of young werther, by goethe, is fantastic. yeats' celtic twilight. one flew over the cuckoo's nest obviously, a confederacy of dunces, OH OH HUXLEY!! my favorite hux is Island, doors of perception is phenomenal too and brave new world is good, just, nothing next to the others IMO. uhmm mark twain is wonderful. huck finn, a connecticut yankee... hope for the flowers if you can find a copy, trina paulus. the dress lodger is fantastic. that's all that comes immediately to mind

oh and the twilight saga ofc ofc

travelin

Reaction score
tolkein, the silmarillions
absodamnlutely the hobbit

sm stirling(sirling?) dies the fire and the following books

someone mentioned one hundred years of solitude, i agree

might sound silly, but louis l'amour's "the walking drum" is a cracking good tale. get a map of europe to follow the journeys. i might be simple, but i found it very entertaining read.

george RR martin A Song of Fire and Ice. a series of books about a fictional medieval fantasy land. its the game of thrones show on hbo right now.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
On jumping fines at the library: if you remember exactly where you got your book/dvd/whatever, just bring it back in, reshelve it and grab something else to bring to the desk. Storm the desk, produce your card and when they announce you've got shit tons of fines, protest loudly that you brought it back. Don't make a scene though. Be polite and firm. And then ask if they'll go check the shelves for the offending book and when they find it, you've gotten away scot-free.

Often times, we'll have like 200+ books/dvds in the drop box and a few will get accidentally skipped over in the checking-in process. Don't be over-hopeful and bring back 15 books, keep it at a steady 1-6 and try a different person each time. Even if we're suspicious, we feel like idiots for not checking it in properly. Works like a charm.

Anyway. In case anyone's interested.

D

Deleted member 2626

Terry C Johnston (Titus Bass novels), Cormac McCarthy(check out the movie on Netflix called Child of God based one of his books, pretty wild), KEROUAC-hipster or pompos or whatever some people say-, William Burroughs is interesting as well, John Muir-Thousand Mile Walk is neat or My First Summer in the Sierrra's, Tom Brown(overextended wilderness stuff but good to read), Definitely Bukowski-Factotum kind of rambling read-, Edward Abbey, Doug Peacock-both were "anarchist naturalists", Book of Monkey Wrenching-wilderness protection techniques. I find I usually know I'll like the book with in sentences of reading and be cool with it the whole way, Also, Vardis Fisher-Mountain Man, Sigurd F.(?) Olson.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads