Biking Mass, to Florida

Dylan Seagull

Reaction score
This coming summer around Aug 1st me and my friend plan on biking from Mass down to Florida.

We are leave from our town of Ware MA, and ending up in Florida, probably going to Nola after. I was wondering if anyone has biked down the east coast and knew of any good routes or websites to find biking friendly routes.

Thanks

oldmanLee

Reaction score
See if you can find the maproute for the old 1976 Bicentenial bike route.It was a real nice ride,and can get you WAY south without having to deal with too much traffic.Also look into old US Rt 1,it was the best route to florida before the interstate system;still exists,and is fairly well marked.Also a lot of good places to camp,and a lot of interesting small towns.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
There is also a bikePATH that is being constructed down the whole coast, according to the sign / map at the bikepath in my town. I don't know anything about it though, but if it exists anytime soon I will totally ride it.

skelabunny

Reaction score
If I was in better shape I'd totally be down. I was talking about biking from Boston to NOLA the other day... I don't think I could handle biking all the way to FL. I can only do about 75- MAYBE 90 miles a day without wanting to die.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Dude, if you're planning a trip like that, you should totally go to http://www.adventurecycling.org/ and buy some maps from them. I bought them for a trip I was planning a few years ago and they were amazing. Pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about the route, such as safe roads, good places to stop, elevation, distances between towns, etc. They're worth every penny, you won't be disappointed.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
the girl im staying with in florida biked here from philly. damn, i forget what it was called but it had "green" in it. its specifically a bike route that runs down the country. i'll have to ask her again if you are interested.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
There is also a bikePATH that is being constructed down the whole coast, according to the sign / map at the bikepath in my town. I don't know anything about it though, but if it exists anytime soon I will totally ride it.
yeah.. I know what your talking about. it's called rail 2 trails or something. maybe, east coast green ways. something like that. it goes from maine to flordia. and most of it is in the woods to, atleast in my area. so they'll be plenty of places to camp / explore.

D

Deleted member 20

I read a book about 15 years ago about a teenage girl who was biking the coast from ME to Fla. mostly Rt 1 & Rt1a Ever since its been in my head but think I will just drive that route. I used to ride as a messenger in Boston & do regional touring in new england in my teens but never made that trip on a bike Good luck. What kinda rig you planning to ride?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads