bikes bikes bikes!

Turtles

Reaction score
Worcester,MA has a thing called Earn-A-Bike witch is this awsome program where u help people (ussually for like 20 hours wich = out to 20 hours) by ybuilding bikes or helpin the local kids. In the end u get to build yer own bike. Its awsome!!!

McKay

Reaction score
I've built a cruiser with its 1940's frame
A Female framed bike for my girlfriend
and I am working on a few more projects out of my basement
a few kids bikes for the neighbor hood and such

dime

Reaction score
Website
www.piradicalproductions.com
This is my new bike, got it for $40. and it is only 22 lbs

IMAGE_091.jpg
[/IMG]

Mogwai

Reaction score
I personally would say fixed gears wouldn't be that good for touring, mostly because your legs NEVER get a break. If you're moving, so are they. No coasting.

That's not to say it can't be done, but if you're going 80+ miles a day, next to someone even on a single speed that can coast down those hills, or just give their legs a rest, it's pretty easy to see that you're going to be more tired than you would had you had a freewheel. A single speed really requires no more maintenance than a fixed, so I'd suggest that as a minimum, but most people that tour have a few gears. There's just such varied terrain, and you're usually packing a fair amount of crap.

I ride a fixed gear everyday, and I love it. It's a tiny little track frame and the responsiveness can't be beat, especially in downtown traffic, which is where I am usually. There are lots of pro's to them, but I'd say touring is not their best suit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads