Bike Traveler Jamboree? | Squat the Planet

Bike Traveler Jamboree?

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? There should be! No offense towards the Dirty Scout Jamboree, but I was just reading the changes to the 2019 DSJ, and it appears to be automobile-centric this year since it will involve meeting at Slab City, then driving further into the desert, and requiring lots of water being hauled.

I was thinking it would be cool for bike travelers, nomads, and nerds to meet up annually in a different location each year, kinda like the Rainbow Gathering. Maybe this already occurs and I’m unaware? What are other’s thoughts?

D

Deleted member 24579

Is there such a thing? There should be! No offense towards the Dirty Scout Jamboree, but I was just reading the changes to the 2019 DSJ, and it appears to be automobile-centric this year since it will involve meeting at Slab City, then driving further into the desert, and requiring lots of water being hauled.

I was thinking it would be cool for bike travelers, nomads, and nerds to meet up annually in a different location each year, kinda like the Rainbow Gathering. Maybe this already occurs and I’m unaware? What are other’s thoughts?
I'm not aware of such a thing, but it sounds like a great idea.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
If no one has any leads, let's make it a thing!

I'd love to help organize a meetup like this!

Somewhere accessible by all kinds of bikes, ;ike hard packed gravel, and near a clean river or lake which we can gather/treat water from...all on wheels/on foot! The idea of a bunch of bike nerds together in nature sounds so fun <3 :D

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Kuba Jennes on facebook (he should be on here - not sure as to name) might know of something - his DIY bicycles for dirtbag lifestyles.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
If such a gathering exists, I can’t find anything on it, so let’s make one happen! Colorado sounds like a good place: great climate in the summer, close to the middle of North America, many bike routes converge there.

I was thinking of somewhere in a national forest where the camping is free, with a lake or stream, but near a town for supplies. Does anyone have familiarity with Colordo for some location ideas?

I’m open to other places too. I’m in Northern California (Humboldt), and there’s definitely some sweet public lands around here, but it’s all the way on the west coast for you easterners...

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Dunedrifter

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking of spots I've been to, and a place I really liked was Saratoga, WY. It's along the Platte River, there is a couple free campsites outside of town with vault toilets, I think a 5 day limit? Right on the river. Can get to town easy for supplies. Activities would include floating the river from town to the campsite, general exploring, and best of all, there is a FREE developed hot spring in town! It's open 24/7 and there are showers/restrooms there. Did I mention it's FREE? Here is a Google link. Not to mention the place is called "hobo hot springs" to boot!

Mrcharwe

Reaction score
We used to ski at the snowy range mountains, right between Laramie and Saratoga. It is surprising nice for Wyoming. Most people think of the dull., windy, flat Wyoming, but that little range is cool.

If people aren't familiar with the area google " Sugarloaf Mountain Wyoming" or "Medicine Bow Peak" and look at the pictures. Its about 30-40 miles from Saratoga.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
I've been doing some thinking of spots I've been to, and a place I really liked was Saratoga, WY. It's along the Platte River, there is a couple free campsites outside of town with vault toilets, I think a 5 day limit? Right on the river. Can get to town easy for supplies. Activities would include floating the river from town to the campsite, general exploring, and best of all, there is a FREE developed hot spring in town! It's open 24/7 and there are showers/restrooms there. Did I mention it's FREE? Here is a Google link. Not to mention the place is called "hobo hot springs" to boot!
Hobo Hot Springs!!! That name says it all. This sounds like the place. Looks like the Transamerica and Continental Divide Trail pass through there too.

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Hobo Hot Springs!!! That name says it all. This sounds like the place. Looks like the Transamerica and Continental Divide Trail pass through there too.

It's a pretty legit spot. There will be some local traffic at the hot spring in town, varying on time of year, but if we do it during the week and not during a holiday should cut down on traffic. There's tons of pics of the spring in the link I posted. The free campground is 5-8 miles out of town tucked way off the road right along the river. Huge flat rocky beach to hang out on and have a bonfire.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
A bike meetup is always a cool idea but you can get to the jambo any number of ways and there will be carpooling. So don't think that if you dont have a car you cant get to jambo.
It just seems that a bike traveler would have to leave their bike in Slab City, then hitch a ride with someone to be able to hang out at this year’s Jambo since it’s moving further out into the desert. Even if a cyclist wanted to pedal further out, hauling that much water wouldn’t be possible.

I definitely would not be comfortable leaving my bike and gear behind in Slab City, and I don’t imagine most people offering rides have room to haul everyone’s bike.

I’m really not trying to detract from the Dirty Scout Jambo or dissing it in any way. I’ve actually never been, but hope to one of these years. I just thought it would be cool to have a similar type of meet-up event for bike travelers and nomads; probably in the summer so that they don’t overlap, and people could do both.

Peace and unity!

Reactions: Crazy Hobo Johnny

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
It's a pretty legit spot. There will be some local traffic at the hot spring in town, varying on time of year, but if we do it during the week and not during a holiday should cut down on traffic. There's tons of pics of the spring in the link I posted. The free campground is 5-8 miles out of town tucked way off the road right along the river. Huge flat rocky beach to hang out on and have a bonfire.
Is the spot on public land where it won’t be an issue for who knows how many bike travelers show up for a few days? I’m looking to move this idea forward to fruition, and welcome any and all help and feedback. I’m loathe to exclude anyone, but would be really cool if everyone arrived by bicycle!

What about making this happen more frequently than once a year? Monthly, regional meet-ups of nomadic bike geeks? I find that I want to be more social with bike culture. I usually ride alone, not because I want to, so much as that I don’t know anyone else that wants to ride. It’s as simple as posting a thread with a location and date, and inviting all peace and fun loving bike nomads to come hang out, drink some beers or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koala

SaltyCrew

∆-FLY LOW-∆
Reaction score
Is the spot on public land where it won’t be an issue for who knows how many bike travelers show up for a few days? I’m looking to move this idea forward to fruition, and welcome any and all help and feedback. I’m loathe to exclude anyone, but would be really cool if everyone arrived by bicycle!

What about making this happen more frequently than once a year? Monthly, regional meet-ups of nomadic bike geeks? I find that I want to be more social with bike culture. I usually ride alone, not because I want to, so much as that I don’t know anyone else that wants to ride. It’s as simple as posting a thread with a location and date, and inviting all peace and fun loving bike nomads to come hang out, drink some beers or whatever.

If I remember correctly, I believe the camp spot was some kind of county run public spot. There was 5+ camp sites with plenty of room for multiple bike campers to set up on. First come first serve free location with I believe a 5 day limit. I don't see it being an issue if 20 bikers showed up, we would just have to share camp sites.

I don't think I for one would be able to meet up monthly, as I'm constantly on the move looking for work. When I have enough money to float for awhile, I aimlessly travel. I'm pretty booked working this current summer, which the job I'm working now will land me in Florida for the winter.

If we have the interest in the community we could start planning for next summer.

Also, @Dunedrifter, can I recommend to you that if you are on the move bike touring and want to meet similar travelers, post a thread in the meet up or bike touring section for when and where you will be somewhere and for how long. Never know who is close unless you ask! Safe travels and fly low!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads