Bike Across the US?

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
Actually, my husband and I are going to do this with our dog this summer, starting from NH and ending in Oregon. We have a GPS we're going to use to help guide us.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on doing this with the pup? I've wanted to do the same, maybe just a smaller trail compared to other I've found, so 300-500miles or so. I'm trying to think of Gear though because taking a dog is doing to slow my pace down, which means more food and water for him and I.
What were you planning on doing in that situation?

yosh

Reaction score
I just biked from San Francisco to Ensenada (Mexico) and it was awesome! I highly recommend bike touring as a form of travel. I would recommend that you first do a few multi day trips to see if you like it. You don't really have to train if you start out with short days (20-30 miles), especially if your used to biking around where you live.

As far as biking x country, it is a really appealing idea but it's not necesarily the most exciting route. There are stretches for hundreds of miles of plains and cornfields, and you have to bike over the Appalachians and the Rockies. If you want to bike 3000 miles, you should also check out routes like the Pacific Coast or the Appalachian trail. But whatever trek you decide on, right on! Go bike touring!

keg

Reaction score
i went from nj to florida.got locked up in almost every state i went thru.but most of the time i was rideing people picked me up and gave me a ride in there trucks or cars.same shit happened in japan.people thought they were helping but the point was to travel by bike.and in some states you can get locked up for being drunk on a bike so be careful

Filth

Reaction score
heres a question for yall, what kinda bikes have you taken/take. id be thinking a nice old steel road bike for me but ive also heard mountain bike? terrain changes everywhere how do yall deal with it?

Horse

Reaction score
I met a guy called Bones (anyone else met this crazy guy?) who has biked across the US over six times. Coast to coast. He has a three wheeled recumbent with a GIANT trailer with tones of shit. He showed me a bunch of laminated newpaper articles about him.
Badass Motherfucker.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Bare minimum, you will need a portable pump and patch kit for when you get a flat in the middle of nowhere. Because it's going to happen. Also the little plastic tool for getting the tire off. All of those should not cost you more than $50 even in a top of the line shop. You'll need to eat a lot more than usual so doing this without money is pretty crazy. Everything I've read about cross country tours says road bikes are the best because they go faster. I have a big clunky mountain bike and it really slows me down.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck those compact hand pumps. Only thing those are good for is getting up to 60 psi then ripping the valve stem off the tube. If you are actually touring get a frame pump.

MxEx

Reaction score
I met a guy called Bones (anyone else met this crazy guy?) who has biked across the US over six times. Coast to coast. He has a three wheeled recumbent with a GIANT trailer with tones of shit. He showed me a bunch of laminated newpaper articles about him.
Badass Motherfucker.
hell yea i met him 2 yrs ago in FoCo. Those laminated articles he carries around are hilarious. Some badass pics of him in the snow and shit. Man of the road for sure.

castler

Reaction score
The farthest I've ridden is 52 miles from Indianapolis to Muncie. It wasn't bad except the rear bearing broke and I was stranded in Muncie for a couple weeks.

Then that bike was stolen so I am looking at walmart to get a el-cheapo mountain type bike to get back into riding since my feet ache due to all the walking in the city.

wartomods

Reaction score
you obviously werent doint it right, nowadays when travelling i much prefer to bike and camp where i please than hitchiking

wartomods

Reaction score
say that to two motherfucking chineses i met, doing china-portugal through russia in a tandem bike.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads