Bicycle touring as a spiritual practice | Squat the Planet

Bicycle touring as a spiritual practice

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
It's been a good little while since I've been on here. Mostly because I have an iPhone 4 and this website doesn't work well with this my phone I use or wifi.

Anyways, I've got 5,000+ miles in. I don't use money usually. The clothes I got I either got out of thrift store dumpsters or thrift stores or military surplus stores, or found them on the ground. It's snowed on me, it's rained, it's hailed I've seen 110 degrees and I've seen 18 degrees (in the day time)

I woke up one day and I was submerged in water, it had been raining and i was right in a creek bed. I woke up another time and my sleeping bag was frozen.

People have given me money out of no where. Every time it happens, it's usually 3 times in one day, I've never only gotten one kick in one day. Then ill go weeks without a kickdown.

I haven't been fearing for my life. I've been wearing a skirt and riding through rural Kentucky. I feel like I can do anything, you better not fuck with me. I've got a certain kind of self confidence to me that i have not ever had before. It might have something to do with before literally 2 inches away from death for hours a day. I'm living on the road with less than I ever had before. I don't need anything else.

When I talk to people it hits a need in me that surprises me. I'm clingy and detached at the same time. It's hard to relate to most people, in a certain way, no one is going on the exact same journey I am right now, it would be impossible to match the same steps, same places, have even a remotely similar experience. At the same time I feel closer to everyone I talk to, than what I ever have before. Falling in love, telepathic connects, yeah I'll see you later, have a good one, it was truly nice knowing you, seriously thank you for that experience.

I wake up most days just ecstatic that I am doing this. Bicycle touring is a practice in self reliance, self preservation, and I would also say a spiritual practice.

SoloDrifter1980

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
It's been a good little while since I've been on here. Mostly because I have an iPhone 4 and this website doesn't work well with this my phone I use or wifi.

Anyways, I've got 5,000+ miles in. I don't use money usually. The clothes I got I either got out of thrift store dumpsters or thrift stores or military surplus stores, or found them on the ground. It's snowed on me, it's rained, it's hailed I've seen 110 degrees and I've seen 18 degrees (in the day time)

I woke up one day and I was submerged in water, it had been raining and i was right in a creek bed. I woke up another time and my sleeping bag was frozen.

People have given me money out of no where. Every time it happens, it's usually 3 times in one day, I've never only gotten one kick in one day. Then ill go weeks without a kickdown.

I haven't been fearing for my life. I've been wearing a skirt and riding through rural Kentucky. I feel like I can do anything, you better not fuck with me. I've got a certain kind of self confidence to me that i have not ever had before. It might have something to do with before literally 2 inches away from death for hours a day. I'm living on the road with less than I ever had before. I don't need anything else.

When I talk to people it hits a need in me that surprises me. I'm clingy and detached at the same time. It's hard to relate to most people, in a certain way, no one is going on the exact same journey I am right now, it would be impossible to match the same steps, same places, have even a remotely similar experience. At the same time I feel closer to everyone I talk to, than what I ever have before. Falling in love, telepathic connects, yeah I'll see you later, have a good one, it was truly nice knowing you, seriously thank you for that experience.

I wake up most days just ecstatic that I am doing this. Bicycle touring is a practice in self reliance, self preservation, and I would also say a spiritual practice.
Tho I travel by a different method than you are atm, I've traveled by cycle a few times before and, yes , there is a different air about it and a different relation with your surroundings. I liked the fact that, by the slower means, you are able to enjoy what's offered around you! I'm with you, also, on living within your means because I've eaten out of dumpsters, what editable plants that grows along the side of the road and slept in big construction cones to keep somewhat warm to be able to sleep because it was cold. I like to work whenever possible because it makes me feel better inside but since it's principally under the table (like Home Depot or Farmers and Ranch Hands.com) the ones paying always tends to view us transients as slaves and not worth a decent wage because who are we? Anyway… thanks for your post, those like yours constantly reminds me that I'm not the only one… keep on keeping on!

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Sounds like you found a good path in life. I have a whole lot of respect for anyone who has the physical and mental fortitude to be bike touring. It would make sense that it could bring about a spiritual awakening as well.

Our time out there traveling should be spent trying to grow and becoming better in ourselves and in what we do. Biking seems to be very interlaced with the idea of self-improvement, again I admire the heck out of it.

I'm going to move this thread to the bike touring section, for relevancy. Thanks for sharing!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
bicycling is spiritual - my favorite days were sunday mornings in the city - quiet - just the sound of tires ... miss it - working my back into it.

@THE REAL SCAVENGER
Just in case you have not read - here is a very active group of bicyclists on facebook, led by a person who is a member here (I believe he still is). He started this in connecting long distance bicyclists.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/131775507445590/?fref=ts

Last edited:

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
bicycling is spiritual - my favorite days were sunday mornings in the city - quiet - just the sound of tires ... miss it - working my back into it.

@THE REAL SCAVENGER
Just in case you have not read - here is a very active group of bicyclists on facebook, led by a person who is a member here (I believe he still is). He started this in connecting long distance bicyclists.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/131775507445590/?fref=ts
im actually a moderator on that group!!! also Kuba is a friend of mine, might meet up with him somewhere down south

Reactions: Vance Lee

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
what are some of your favorite pieces of gear? Bike touring is def a spiritual thing for me as well. You're exposed to everything around you. The breeze on my face, the sound of the tires becomes meditative. What rating of sleeping bag do you take?

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
what are some of your favorite pieces of gear? Bike touring is def a spiritual thing for me as well. You're exposed to everything around you. The breeze on my face, the sound of the tires becomes meditative. What rating of sleeping bag do you take?
I’ve currently got a 30 and a 50 that I use both at the same tine when it gets cold.

Favorite piece of gear probably would include earmuffs that I groundscored, a buff that I also groundscored, some knee high hunting boots a man gave to me, and I also am a huge fan of gloves

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
I’ve currently got a 30 and a 50 that I use both at the same tine when it gets cold.

Favorite piece of gear probably would include earmuffs that I groundscored, a buff that I also groundscored, some knee high hunting boots a man gave to me, and I also am a huge fan of gloves
I’m into wool clothing, polyester, etc. I have a fleece type jacket a military man gave me

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I also do the same thing with combining sleeping bags. ditto on the wool and poly clothing. I have some military ecw base layers that are really warm.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads