Best U.S. diy punk music cities 2019? | Squat the Planet

Best U.S. diy punk music cities 2019?

Laundromatt

Reaction score
Just was wondering about which cities are currently doing well with the diy punk/noise/Weird music scene. The bay area has been the best spot that I've experienced in regards to a diy music scene and I miss it there but it's super expensive to live around there. Currently in Austin Texas and I'm not sure if there's much of a diy scene with actual genuine weirdos here.

What's yalls thoughts and experiences? Where are the weirdos who are actively making weird shit at? Which cities are currently thriving with a concentrated diy scene?

Rusty Possum

Reaction score
I'm currently in atx as well, will be for some time. As far as I'm aware the DIY punk spirit doesn't really exist here anymore. I've tried to host workshops and screenings with little to no interest. I hear the scene e is good out in Portland, California, SLC and possibly Chicago still.

Laundromatt

Reaction score
I'm currently in atx as well, will be for some time. As far as I'm aware the DIY punk spirit doesn't really exist here anymore. I've tried to host workshops and screenings with little to no interest. I hear the scene e is good out in Portland, California, SLC and possibly Chicago still.
Rad, if you have any workshops going on soon let me know. I'll be around for a month at least but I'm still trying to see if I wanna stick around

Honey Crust

Reaction score
Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
Denver’s DIY scene has been going hard for years. We’ve got a DIY place called 7th Circle Music Collective that has shows from local kids just starting off to MDC playing there three years in a row, to a three-day underground folk punk festival called Compost Heap that’s now in its 4th year. It’s basically the 924 Gilman of Colorado.
Beyond that we have a number of house venues, a few other folks trying to get their DIY spaces off the ground, and an annual zine fest that also showcases local music. There’s something going on every night here.

Laundromatt

Reaction score
Denver’s DIY scene has been going hard for years. We’ve got a DIY place called 7th Circle Music Collective that has shows from local kids just starting off to MDC playing there three years in a row, to a three-day underground folk punk festival called Compost Heap that’s now in its 4th year. It’s basically the 924 Gilman of Colorado.
Beyond that we have a number of house venues, a few other folks trying to get their DIY spaces off the ground, and an annual zine fest that also showcases local music. There’s something going on every night here.
Wow, I would have never imagined that Denver would have stuff like that happening.

• Agree
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 21288

I'm moving to CO in may! I'm really glad to hear this. Maybe we will run into each other :)

D

Deleted member 3948

I'm currently in Austin, I don't vibe the scene here well, Fucking Minneapolis is the shit, go to extreme noise pick up the Punk calendar enjoy
Or you can get it at hard times cafe or Seward cafe

Pittsburghs cool 2

Asheville n.c was cool idk if still is

Cincinnati was cool idk know what's going now, I heard last house on the left shut down.

I here Chicago's where it's at for hardcore punk, haven't checked it out yet though, you know u gotta catch the flame before it goes out.

Frownsy

Reaction score
Here in OKC there was a really sick scene but it kind of split up cause the main venue shut down and dumb drama and in fighting. There’s still some sick bands playing but the scene has kind of lost its soul.
From my friends who have toured recently apparently Hattiesberg has a cool DIY scene and judging by the bands I’ve housed and seen come through here Minneapolis is killing it.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
If u pass thru just pm me and I'll do what I can to point ya towards some shows. Big party will be on 420 weekend. My bike polo club will be hosting a big tourney bands grill out polo lotsa buds an brews. Then a huge after party with some more local bands

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust
D

Deleted member 9462

I'm about to be passing thru Denver next weekend. Know of anything going on or spots to check out that you might wanna share?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads