Best Places in British Columbia | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Best Places in British Columbia

suzie fox

Reaction score
where you at now??

typical living situation in an orchard lifestyle is a spot to pitch your tent , a spot to make a fire, a hose and an outhouse. some also have living room trailers and kitchen trailers and shower houses :D :D

working on vineyards never (say never) provides even a camp spot, so that can make it a little tougher so i'd say either find a sweet stealthy beach spot of your own to claim or find somebody generous with a yard, or camp on an orchard anyways, fuck you'll blend right in. one time i actually paid for a camp site which was sweet they have outlets and showers too.

whichever way you do it, i guarantee a lot of beaches and wine and summertime-feelin-fine jam sessions and bonfire parties with loads of travellers.

so im gonna come visit in the summer hahahah

Rover

Drifting away
Reaction score
My favorite place in B.C is French Hill ( Osoyoos I think its located in, dont remember anymore ) and Kelowna.

French hill is in Osoyoos, but I don't think that you want to go there, I was in the area last summer and apparently you'll get fined 200$ If you head up there. The thing is that the locals got fed up with the grass fires, and garbage, and on that note I got a few sideways glances just for wearing a backpack too. Bum station, by the airport is probably still going ( there isn't a lot of room there though), and there is an other kick ass coolie further up the trail, just be careful of the cacti. If you do that walk drunk and in the middle of the night, your life will suck.

It's a little late in the season so you probably figured it out by now but loose bay in Oliver is where the season kicks off these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: c4s3

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
Ahoy! just wanted to write back! I actually made it across Candada from Niagara Falls eventually to Vancouver Island. Worked 6 or 7 weeks of the Cherry harvest in the Okanagan, without a work visa, living in the "crusty" orchard in Oliver. AND IT WAS AMAZING! I will totally be there next year, well prepared, to rejoin so many wonderful Quebec'r friends! Tabarnak!

Reactions: Lilly and Rover

Phaedrus

Reaction score
Ive traveled the west coast of canada for a few years now, grew up here and ive hitched everyplace, just want to let people know about the hidden gems, we have a seasonal migration of people traveling from out east every year to pick fruit and iam always asked for info, and for anyone wanting to come from up south will know what to expect, anyone else traveling round bc share some of your fravorite spots--

Fruit picking in the okanogon
My fravorite place to pick is kermous, rave party ever 2 weeks,full moon partys, lots of french travelers, work lasts almost all the warm season, cherries,apples,grapes

Golden, field
true gateways to the rockies, along highway one on the bc alberta boarder, whitewater rafting, snowboarding and mountainbikeing, hiking, Takakkaw Falls
Nelson
Hippy capital of BC, checkout anisworth hotsprings, horseshoe shaped hotspring cave

Commercial and broadway, Vancouver
head down to the street , community for punks and always travelers panning

Sooke Potholes, sooke
3 waterfalls in a group, backflip each one after eachother, one of the best swimming in BC

Twin lakes, windermere
10 foot to 200 foot cliffs to jump into baby blue water, 60 foot ropeswing, another one of a kind swimming hole

Halfway and St.Leons Hippy Springs, free hotsprings
30 k north of nakusp, a must see after shambhala

Shambhala

haida gwaii, qween charlots islands
Coastal rainforest of northern BC, mushroom picking, almost no people around, true wilderness, far into the void of the north but worth the trip
Scared the shit gotta myself at twin lakes lol. Had to show off for the hippy chicks we met there and I suppose it was worth it ha ha

c4s3

Reaction score
the island, nanaimo is really nice im there now. always like the okenogen valley, and vancouver for short periods of time isn't bad.

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Sooke is a nice area to relax for a couple days. It has the potholes, which was already mentioned. There are also lots of hiking trails, including one that leads to the abandoned fire tower on mt quimper. If you like being near the ocean, whiffin spit, French beach, china beach are good areas. You can catch a 50/61 bus from Victoria to sooke for $2.50, or a day pass for $5.00. You can find spots to camp out for a night or two for free, or there is a couple campgrounds.

jimbo slice

Reaction score
This list brough many smiles to my face as im a bc girl whos been sitting around in newfoundland for the past couple of months trying to explain to everybody here how amazing it is out there. Ive do e the fruit pick out there for a few years and theres really nothin like it! Thanks!

D

Deleted member 20975

I lived in nanaimo for a year and in New Westminster for a year a while back. Hitched around as a kid some too. Its gonna take me some time but i plan on going back out there again. I want to see all the places i havent. The north island, the little islands, more of the valley, and as many sexy little mountain towns as possible. I will do a mix of hitching and driving. I will still have the big guy (7-8 year old rottie mix, 85lb'r) who has not hopped so i will most likely not hop at all. But with the proper help or in a safe situation i may. Im dying to simply ride the rails all through the mountains. I know the scenery is one if a kind. Just wondering if anyone had a heads up about any places to avoid or definitely check out in recent times. Ive wandered the states and had shot guns pulled on me and rolled through some ghetto wastelands so im not worried about that. Though not looking for those destinations by any means.

My favoirite places in the west are the alberta bc border when you start to see the mountains growing in the distance. Its fucking gorgeous. And the sunshine coast. The people were so friendly and cool. Also beautiful countryside. I want to go where the land is free and clean, the sun shines bright and warm, and the cool fresh breeze keeps the bugs out of my eyes.

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Love for Vancouver Island. I had 2 favourites there.

Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park
- for the Douglas Fir Trees!

DSC01635.JPG

Goldstream Provincial Park, Cowichan Valley Trail
- for the crazy high trestle bridges...

54413293_1203370219828706_4546498082845491200_n.jpg

54522897_2078112242272810_3720519818206511104_n.jpg

& beautiful waterfalls (spot the traveler)

53762078_342290266642233_5905768078553120768_n.jpg

Reactions: roughdraft

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads