Best fabric for patching? | Squat the Planet

Best fabric for patching?

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I really have a problem with keeping my clothes not looking like swiss cheese. I was thinking about using pleather or something to patch up the inner thigh area, but it seems kinda sticky. any suggestions for some cheap, durable cloth? its gotten to the point i have to patch the crotch of my 2 pairs of pants every week. and no they arent old enough to throw out yet.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Every week? That's a lot, I would toss away anything that required that much maintenance and repair. Maybe you should cannibalize one pair of pants to make the other a decent pair.

Anyway, the toughest common nonleather patch would probably be ballistic nylon canvas, the tough part is that the edges need to be hemmed in or bordered, else it will fray. If you want it to be ridiculously tough, I guess you could make a weave from nylon webbing, but it'll be pretty stiff.

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I really have a problem with keeping my clothes not looking like swiss cheese. I was thinking about using pleather or something to patch up the inner thigh area, but it seems kinda sticky. any suggestions for some cheap, durable cloth? its gotten to the point i have to patch the crotch of my 2 pairs of pants every week. and no they arent old enough to throw out yet.

I got the same problem. Go scavenge the heaviest weight jeans you can find, double layer the patch, one inside, one outside. Tends to last a while longer if you run the patch down your leg a little and forward and backwards of where the pants wear through.

desaparecido

Reaction score

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
i found a great source of nice soft leather for making patches. hardware store- glove aisle. get some of the cheap leather palm gloves. you can usually find them for about two bucks a pair and two pairs just made me a sweet soft leather crotch.

Rise 609

Reaction score
Not that I would reccommend doing it because it is illegal, but whenever i need to make a strong patch I just go to the hardware store and cut a piece off of a canvas tarp. Shit is pretty damn strong.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I actually am looking for something that wont ware when its rubbed together. I have these "lovely" woman thighs that rub when i walk and create holes. so i dont think tire tube could work since it kinda grips... but the soft leather i definately am trying.

Double-A

Reaction score
another thing you could try is the heavy canvas used to make mailbags. it's waterproof and fire retardant! we used to liberate them from our library and make bags. they last forever. unfortunately, i think the bag i made with the "u.s. mail" logo showing gave them a hint.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You could do is harvest suede leather from a jacket or other piece of clothing from a store you don't like with a razor. Ballistic nylon canvas (like the kind used in backpacks) would have less friction though the edges would be a pain.

Dmac

Reaction score
i agree, hemp canvas is super durable, hemp demim will last 4 times longer than your regular type of levi's. it isn't hard to get either, just go to a hemp fest or green market.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads