Photos - Backpacks for dogs | Squat the Planet

Photos Backpacks for dogs

NoMaDicT

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Im looking for a high quality backpack for my dog.
The one ive been using this year was very cheap and dissapointing..

On this picture the bag is new
IMG_20170730_171214627_HDR.jpg

Very cheap bag but for the price ( 30$ ) i guess id say it's worth it. He was able to carry 3 days of food and 2 water bottles and a big bag of nuts for me. I had packed his meals in individual ziplocs so there were no concerns for rainy days since this bag was not water repellant but the textile dried very fast since it was so thin.
I had to paint it black for discretion. I used Tremclad paint and i was very impressed on how well the paint stuck to it.
Problem is actually my dog who just loves passing threw bushes and rolling on his back when he gets excited. What can i do.. im not going to stop him from doing it. He's just having fun.
So yeah the backpack as you can imagine didnt appreciate it as much as the dog did. one of the pocket ripped open on the side after passing threw bushes. Not so sure what happened but the strap passing under the dog just dissapeared and the chest strap was just about to rip off aswell. I had to tie everything with rope to finish the trip.
When i i got back home i sewed everything back since i had no money to buy another bag.
Later we went hiking and after the first day i decided to toss the F***ing bag in my camp fire since all my sewing work had already broke... and i didnt wanna start again. So i decided i would continue carrying his stuff as i used to for the rest of the summer and take some time during winter to shop for a real good one.
Here we are now and i was wondering if anyone would have any experience with dog backpacks and could suggest a good one.
Im looking for something made out of very strong textile or leather. Also i would prefer discret colors because most of the quality bags im actually shopping for online are red orange or blue... but if the bag is worth buying and the only color is not discret i really dont mind painting it again. Also could be usefull to have something water repellant and with much more capacity. Also concerning the price my top limit would be aroud150 $ over that ill just continue carrying his stuff.
If anyone has suggestions to help or maybe ideas for a DIY bag we would really appreciate.
Thanks !!

NoMaDicT

Reaction score
Yes ive already looked onetigris only the tactical model though it seemed like really good gear for a very cheap price. One of the reviews stoped me from looking further. This model is a vest type with removable bags everything seemed very good but someone mentioned the bags fell off the vest very easily ... this is their most expensive bag. Kind of turn me off so i didnt chek the others. Do you own the molle vest ?

NoMaDicT

Reaction score
not sur if this is the one you were talking of ( URL link below )
dog-harness-038-tn.html

Does seem pretty tough canvas and does not have removable pouches
really cheap price
This could actually be the one or at least worth trying

Attachments

• tg-038_4__1.jpg
    tg-038_4__1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 323

NoMaDicT

Reaction score
your definitely right about those shady people haha hard to trust reviews on most selling web sites... im looking forward to buy this model and i will post a true review here after trying it. Might help others too.
Thanks you Spider Tempura for the great help offered

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score

NoMaDicT

Reaction score
Love the DIY bag Tude posted and thanks for the links. I agree DIY will get it more personalized to our travels and also already have a bush chest guard harness i could totally include in the fabrication. Its always done better when done by yourself

D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah diy is the way to go from now on. I ended up buying my dude another pack from ruffwear for 80 bucks. But it's a good set. The harness is like a soft frame sort. Distributes weight better I think and the bags are bigger. But just jaunting in a drizzle they get wet from the road. So if he's carrying library books or what have you I gotta bag em. Yes probably China made even though this was months ago I have since really thought out purchases and wont buy new anymore unless it's already been used or I make myself. My set I'll make when these wear out will be something water resistant

D

Deleted member 19100

Older thread, but I recommend Ruffwear for a "buy-this-once" approach. I bought a pack for my lab x pitbull and it's been with me as long as I've had my dog. She also likes to chase squirrels and ptarmigan through the trees and while it has caught (and stopped her dead in her tracks!) it has never tore. Damn thing looks brand new 4 years later. My only criticism was that one strap was sewed unevenly from the factory and it shifted the pack to one side... took me forever to figure out that was the problem. Cut and restitched = perfect. It was expensive ~$120 CAD. But it's a one-time purchase.

DSC00332__1430277177_99.234.204.35.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads