1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Photos Backpacks for dogs

Discussion in 'Backpacks & Pouches' started by NoMaDicT, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:43 PM.

1. NoMaDicT

NoMaDicT Previously Free Ian

Achievements:
    camping sauvage et music
    Address:
    Longueuil, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +15 / -0
    Hey everyone,
    Im looking for a high quality backpack for my dog.
    The one ive been using this year was very cheap and dissapointing..

On this picture the bag is new
    IMG_20170730_171214627_HDR.

Very cheap bag but for the price ( 30$ ) i guess id say it's worth it. He was able to carry 3 days of food and 2 water bottles and a big bag of nuts for me. I had packed his meals in individual ziplocs so there were no concerns for rainy days since this bag was not water repellant but the textile dried very fast since it was so thin.
    I had to paint it black for discretion. I used Tremclad paint and i was very impressed on how well the paint stuck to it.
    Problem is actually my dog who just loves passing threw bushes and rolling on his back when he gets excited. What can i do.. im not going to stop him from doing it. He's just having fun.
    So yeah the backpack as you can imagine didnt appreciate it as much as the dog did. one of the pocket ripped open on the side after passing threw bushes. Not so sure what happened but the strap passing under the dog just dissapeared and the chest strap was just about to rip off aswell. I had to tie everything with rope to finish the trip.
    When i i got back home i sewed everything back since i had no money to buy another bag.
    Later we went hiking and after the first day i decided to toss the F***ing bag in my camp fire since all my sewing work had already broke... and i didnt wanna start again. So i decided i would continue carrying his stuff as i used to for the rest of the summer and take some time during winter to shop for a real good one.
    Here we are now and i was wondering if anyone would have any experience with dog backpacks and could suggest a good one.
    Im looking for something made out of very strong textile or leather. Also i would prefer discret colors because most of the quality bags im actually shopping for online are red orange or blue... but if the bag is worth buying and the only color is not discret i really dont mind painting it again. Also could be usefull to have something water repellant and with much more capacity. Also concerning the price my top limit would be aroud150 $ over that ill just continue carrying his stuff.
    If anyone has suggestions to help or maybe ideas for a DIY bag we would really appreciate.
    Thanks !!

2. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Look into onetigris, consider the molle vest in green, add a cheap cooling pad and belly brush guard.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    NoMaDicT

Achievements:
    camping sauvage et music
    Address:
    Longueuil, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +15 / -0
    Yes ive already looked onetigris only the tactical model though it seemed like really good gear for a very cheap price. One of the reviews stoped me from looking further. This model is a vest type with removable bags everything seemed very good but someone mentioned the bags fell off the vest very easily ... this is their most expensive bag. Kind of turn me off so i didnt chek the others. Do you own the molle vest ?

4. OP
    OP
    NoMaDicT

Achievements:
    camping sauvage et music
    Address:
    Longueuil, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +15 / -0
    not sur if this is the one you were talking of ( URL link below )
    [​IMG]
    Does seem pretty tough canvas and does not have removable pouches
    really cheap price
    This could actually be the one or at least worth trying

Attached Files:

5. Spider Tempura

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Yea and i have the cotton canvas one for day trips as well. If molle gear comes off the straps its most likely they bought crap straps. I use decent straps, never lost anything attached. When reading reviews of stuff i try to go by the averages, theres always gonna be that one person that barely knows gear that whines online in a review becuz they failed to rtfm. Plus some of the worst online reviews are from the competition, people are shady like that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    NoMaDicT

Achievements:
    camping sauvage et music
    Address:
    Longueuil, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +15 / -0
    your definitely right about those shady people haha hard to trust reviews on most selling web sites... im looking forward to buy this model and i will post a true review here after trying it. Might help others too.
    Thanks you Spider Tempura for the great help offered

7. Tude

Tude Sometimes traveler is traveling.
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    College staff
    Address:
    Rochester, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +2,900 / -11
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Spider Tempura

Achievements:
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    A big plus with building ur own is you could size it perfectly for ur partner. Make it moar comfy n safer, chest brush guards for the ones that like to go thru brush. I added evap cooling cause we are tropical and often in desert areas. I also made a set of gaiters for my ridgeback cuz we go around snakes. Its good to have gear for your dog, they need to survive along with you. If your dog rides with you they will appreciate the googles lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    NoMaDicT

Achievements:
    camping sauvage et music
    Address:
    Longueuil, QC, Canada
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +15 / -0
    Love the DIY bag Tude posted and thanks for the links. I agree DIY will get it more personalized to our travels and also already have a bush chest guard harness i could totally include in the fabrication. Its always done better when done by yourself