Austin | Squat the Planet

Austin

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Use the search bar. There is SO much info about Austin on here already.

Reactions: PatAW

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
agreed. you could narrow the search even more by just searching for posts with 'austin' with my user name, i've posted a ton of useful shit about it already.

• Agree
Reactions: Coywolf

train in vain

Reaction score
What do you wanna know? Id wager i know more about that place than anyone here. Used to be my favorite place. Its horrible now unfortunately.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
What do you wanna know? Id wager i know more about that place than anyone here. Used to be my favorite place. Its horrible now unfortunately.

just out of curiosity, what do you think is so horrible about it? i understand it used to be better 'way back when' but i think that's true of everywhere. overall, i still think it's a bit of an undiscovered gem and it's always treated me well.

CheMu

Reaction score

Yeah. Me and my dog's first night here has been a healthy blend of awesome, inhospitable, and downright scary. I absolutely recommend doing your homework on the place.

train in vain

Reaction score
just out of curiosity, what do you think is so horrible about it? i understand it used to be better 'way back when' but i think that's true of everywhere. overall, i still think it's a bit of an undiscovered gem and it's always treated me well.
Every time I go back theres a whole slew of new apartments/condos/lofts/whatever for some headass from chicago who thinks 1800 a month is cheap rent. Some of my friends have 3 jobs now haha. Austin was never cheap to live in my lifetime but shits out of control since 2010ish. There are still good times to be had but that place has really turned into a full on yuppie hellhole. I started makin trips there in 97-98 and it is a completely different city now. My friends there heckle me for moving to little rock but i just give em a tim barry quote..i pay 200 dollars rent and i work when i like haha.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Every time I go back theres a whole slew of new apartments/condos/lofts/whatever for some headass from chicago who thinks 1800 a month is cheap rent. Some of my friends have 3 jobs now haha. Austin was never cheap to live in my lifetime but shits out of control since 2010ish. There are still good times to be had but that place has really turned into a full on yuppie hellhole. I started makin trips there in 97-98 and it is a completely different city now. My friends there heckle me for moving to little rock but i just give em a tim barry quote..i pay 200 dollars rent and i work when i like haha.

i've generally camped in the woods and worked in town, riding my bike everyday so i was always able to save up enough loot to go do what i wanted to do. my experience is 2011 onwards, but i still think it's a good town to live in while working to save up for that next leg of travel.

Well is it less Sketchy then California or worse ?

crime and 'sketchyness' don't exist in austin. i moved there from new orleans and would laugh my ass off anytime someone complained about the crime in austin. i've always told people that austin is like the shire from lord of the rings compared to nola (or even california). there is very little to be sketched out by there. even the cops are pretty reasonable, but im usually smart enough to never have to even interact with them there.

on a side note, the yellow bike collective is a good place to build a bike for very little money (or none at all if you're willing to volunteer your time).

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
From what I've seen being here, the only places id want to be are the neighborhoods right outside of downtown.

SoCo is awesome. 6th street is cool, but nonetheless a shitshow.

There definitely IS crimeand sketchiness here. As all of texas has, but it's mostly in the outlying neighborhoods around Austin.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
There definitely IS crimeand sketchiness here

after living in austin for 5+ years, i can confidently say you really have to be seeking out sketchiness to find it there. that, or you're doing something wrong.

Gingersnap

Reaction score
I will be headed to Austin from michigan soon any advice about Austin TX would help
thank you
I went to Austin from Ann arbor about a year and half ago too! I found The Barton Springs area the coolest. Lots of beautiful nature along the river, the public pool has free showers and plenty of good places you could get away with pitching a small tent or in my case I tied my hammock underneath the bridge right next to the public pool entrance and loved it!

• Love It

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads