Aussie moving to Canada (probably BC) | Squat the Planet

Aussie moving to Canada (probably BC)

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Hey lovely people,

I'm a few weeks out from applying for a two-year Canadian "working holiday" visa, there's a lot of reasons I need a massive change in my life and I've decided up-rooting and heading overseas is the way to go. I've been working my arse off and saving everything I can to make this happen...there's something about travelling overseas and being in new places, seeing new people blah blah blah that just centres me (and most of us on here, I'm sure).

My aim is to be there before spring next year (a fair way off, I know) and initially being based in Vancouver (I've heard East Vancouver is a go?) before buying a camper van from an Aussie mate who is currently in Nelson when his visa expires in July next year and going, at least somewhat, nomad - I want to see everywhere I can in North America (I'd be looking at regular trips south of the border).

So, really, I'm look for a bit of advice and some new mates!

As far as advice goes - if anyone could give me any info or pointers on squats, areas with cheap room/basement/anywhere to sleep rentals, decent car camping locations, making money/finding temp work and even if I'd have any difficulties getting a basic camper van across the border into the US.

Also looking for info on the music scene (bands/venues to check out...I know a couple of killer bands in Ontario) and, if anyone has any knowledge of it, the BDSM/kink scene.

I have plenty of mates in America but very few in Canada - so I'd love to get chatting to anyone local!

Hope that made sense!

Private messages most welcome.

Cheers,
Benji

O

outlawloose

Did this myself back in 2014. Moved from Adelaide to Toronto, lived there a year then spend another 2 years rough travelling North America coast to coast, Alaska to Mexico. Never really used my work visa for work in Canada but it gave me a solid excuse for being in the country for so long. You can keep extending the Canada visa for another 2 years at a time, as long as you're under 30. Overall it was an incredible experience, hit me up if you have any ques.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
If your looking for new peeps BC proboboly isnt the spot. There are almost more Aussies here than locals :)

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
Did this myself back in 2014. Moved from Adelaide to Toronto, lived there a year then spend another 2 years rough travelling North America coast to coast, Alaska to Mexico. Never really used my work visa for work in Canada but it gave me a solid excuse for being in the country for so long. You can keep extending the Canada visa for another 2 years at a time, as long as you're under 30. Overall it was an incredible experience, hit me up if you have any ques.

Cheers! I'll shoot you throw a message sometime soon if that's cool.

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
Reaction score
Website
www.instragram.com
If your looking for new peeps BC proboboly isnt the spot. There are almost more Aussies here than locals :)

Ha, yeah so Iv'e heard - just seems a good place for meet to start, once I get wheels I don't plan on hanging around any one place too long. + I've got a fair few mates in Washington State and down the West Coast of America I'm needing to catch up with :p

Reactions: wizehop

Clay Ladouceur

Reaction score
Hey man I moved here to Vancouver from the next province over. im not sure about squatters rights in this country or province so I haven't tried anything yet and im staying in my car. its a great city to find work in but its rather expensive. you could probably find cheap monthly parking spots and live there in the van. im currently saving for a van aswell. if you ever wanna chill when youre down here or travel hit me up bro. just moved here. its one hell of a city tho

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads