Question - Are there any decent small to medium sized towns that anyone knows of that I could hang around over the winter | Squat the Planet

Question Are there any decent small to medium sized towns that anyone knows of that I could hang around over the winter

Ace9133

Reaction score
What's up everyone! I'll be freight hopping to AZ soonish. The weather's turning cold here in SW Ohio! Need to keep warm over the winter, and I am NOT going to Florida... no offense! Haha. I'm fairly certain I have my route planned out on a train to train basis to the state line, of course if all goes as planned (which it likely won't.) I'm really unsure where exactly to go once I get there. I know all cities can be sketchy, especially the further South you head like around Tucson or Nogales for example. Are there any decent small to medium sized towns that anyone knows of that I could hang around over the winter so I don't die of hypothermia or frost bite? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, stay safe & happy trails! -Ace.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Let's put it this way, NOT Flagstaff, Payson, or Williams. Anywhere south of the mogollon rim is probably a good bet. Prescott (Preskit) is a toss up.

If you want real desert...the towns between Tuscon and Globe can be fun (like Bisbee), Tuscon isint really that bad if you know where to go, Quartzsite has the Gem show

Reactions: Ace9133

Ace9133

Reaction score
Let's put it this way, NOT Flagstaff, Payson, or Williams. Anywhere south of the mogollon rim is probably a good bet. Prescott (Preskit) is a toss up.

If you want real desert...the towns between Tuscon and Globe can be fun (like Bisbee), Tuscon isint really that bad if you know where to go, Quartzsite has the Gem show
Thanks! I wasn't planning on going near Flagstaff because it gets fairly cold with snowfall in the mountains. I want to stay well South of the I-40 corridor. Thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I've changed your thread title to be more in line with your question. I've also changed this thread to a question thread so that you and other people may upvote the best answer.

Reactions: Ace9133

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Tucson really ain't bad, it's South Tucson (technically it's own city) where you need to be careful but even there it's not that crazy. Mind your own business and you'll be fine kinda deal. Bisbee is where lots of rainbow type folk hang out which can be great or terrible depending on circumstance. Don't know how covid is changing things but this is traditonally about when people start showing up in quartzite.

Ace9133

Reaction score
Tucson really ain't bad, it's South Tucson (technically it's own city) where you need to be careful but even there it's not that crazy. Mind your own business and you'll be fine kinda deal. Bisbee is where lots of rainbow type folk hang out which can be great or terrible depending on circumstance. Don't know how covid is changing things but this is traditonally about when people start showing up in quartzite.
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely going to keep this in mind. I appreciate it!

croc

Reaction score
Jupiter, FL would not be a good place to live outside without income. If ur situation is no income, I would not expect to be able to make money flying signs there. Most ppl are not very friendly to houseless folks. I haven't been fucked w by the cops there but I'd say that's prob shear luck. I used to bike down there to see my ex n we'd camp n mostly stay out of public view but when we were in public view we stood out like a full mouth of teeth at a skynyrd concert. Especially by the beach, which is the only place I'd consider camping there.

But tbh FL is a pretty sick place to winter weather wise if u can find a decent spot n stay out of trouble.

Tony G

Reaction score
Jupiter, FL would not be a good place to live outside without income. If ur situation is no income, I would not expect to be able to make money flying signs there. Most ppl are not very friendly to houseless folks. I haven't been fucked w by the cops there but I'd say that's prob shear luck. I used to bike down there to see my ex n we'd camp n mostly stay out of public view but when we were in public view we stood out like a full mouth of teeth at a skynyrd concert. Especially by the beach, which is the only place I'd consider camping there.

But tbh FL is a pretty sick place to winter weather wise if u can find a decent spot n stay out of trouble.
Without cash yeah rough but florida is the life bro I had a crash pad with power for a few years. It was awsome

Reactions: Ace9133 and croc

Seeds21

Reaction score
Jupiter has a lot of places you could sneak camp on the WMAs like hungryland and Holyland there areas for hunting fishing and hiking. However I have to second the fact that its almost all Rednecks and they wont give you a dime however you may be able to hike a ride out to west palm beach from there easy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads