Are Osprey backpacks really worth it? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Are Osprey backpacks really worth it?

ironman

Reaction score
I have a Osprey Porter .65 ltr . it perfect for me but i use it more as a trunk than backpack . it holds lot stuff built good im happy with it but i don't use it like pack . its made well. It all what you want to pay .for my lifestyle it good . .

D

Deleted member 19100

I've owned an Osprey Ether 70 (L) for about 4 years now. First and foremost, Osprey has a lifetime warranty on the entire pack. The salesman told me that a fellow left food in his pack and a raccoon tore the bag apart to get to it... Osprey honored the warranty. Damn.

Anywho, my pack hasn't seen anything near the kind of abuse you put your packs through tbh. In 4 years, I've only broken one of the clips that a cinch my sleeping pad with, I've sealed it shut with a zip-tie for about a year now.

Your use of molle is an excellent idea, which I'm going to keep in mind. The Osprey pack supposedly has some 10 - 30L pack that can clip into the existing larger packs and would be similar in function to what you're doing. This is the same premise behind the "small pack" in the Canadian Forces.

Ultimately, I wouldn't recommend investing in an Osprey pack. They're expensive. And you have more mobility with your setup.

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
I’ve had two my entire travelling career. The first one , a kestrel 58 held up to hiking in every kind of environment, light mountaineering and thousands of miles of train hopping. With creative packing I could jam 2 weeks of food in that thing.

After about 4 years, 3+lbs of leather patch work, multiple buckle, zipper, and mesh pocket replacements that train grit stained beaten up hunk was finally so fucked up I couldnt repair it. They replaced it for free with a brand new model, even threw in a 30$ rainfly for free. And when this packs fucked I’ll probably do it again! So 150$ for a lifetime(theoretically) supply of well made packs? It’s worth it.

• Epic
Reactions: Coywolf

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Oh and when It came time to replace it I was passing through CO, so I went down to their corporate office in cortez and had them approve the warranty replacement in person. They waited to send the replacement till I had got to the slabs. So I didnt have to bother with the hassle of cleaning and shipping the fucker then be without a pack for weeks. Little tip for when its getting time to replace.

• Love It
Reactions: Coywolf

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I like low profile packs people see that it's costly name brand they might think I got lot nice gear or money . Just my opinion I like to blend not stick out

There is something to be said about this. I black out all the osprey logos on my pack with sharpie, mainly for the fact that they are reflective...get a darker color, definitely helps it not stand out as some sort of tourist bag. The grime helps as well.

I have had my Osprey Aether 70+ for 4 years now. Put it through a few thosand miles of trains, hundreds of miles on the trail, another few hundred miles of just bummin' it.

The top brain of the pack detaches and can turn into a fully functional day pack, with straps and everything, it's an amazingly practical feature that I use constantly.

I could not more highly reccommend a pack. As long as your arent just completely not giving a shit about your pack, melting it next to a fire., throwing it off a train at 40 MPH, dragging it over the ground, ect....it will last for a LONG time. Many repair options, and of course, the lifetime warrantee.

My favorite thing about these packs is that they are manufactured in Cortez, CO...on of my favoirite areas in the country. And the company uses alot of recycled material, and gives back to the community.

Roadtroll

Reaction score
A resounding yes.
They are not only extremely well built but look into the warranty.
It is amazing.

I used an aether 85ag for 3 years. This thing slid down cliffs. Was thrown from moving vehincles, was my bed at times, and the weight distribuition is imho unrivaled in the higher end ones.

The exact same load out in a different 85L felt twice as heavy.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads