Appalachia

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Hey...watch who your calling a hick there. Just kidding, but seriously don't use the word "hick" if you go into the mountains in southern Appalachia down in Virginia or North Carolina. Hicks is actually a family name down in that part of the country and people will get mighty offended. I know some folks that have that last name.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Your a lot more likely to find hippies and Floridians(a unique kind of snowbird) then you are to find rednecks anyway unless you do some searching. It's a beautiful place though. I highly recommend the area around Boone in North Carolina and everywhere in southern Virginia. Floyd county in Virginia is tons of fun, especially if you like music go to the general store in Floyd on a Friday or Saturday night.

D

dirty_feet

Well - hardy har - Angela knows her stuff! Floyd County also hosts 'Floyd Fest' every year in the summer with all kinds of local music and bigger jam band scene music as well. Boone, NC is absoulutley beautiful, there's no doubt about that, but somewhat pricey as it has become an idyllic Appalachia town over the years...and they know it. My only gripe about Appalachia is the goddamn humidity in the summer months. I couldn't stand it when I was a kid and I can't stand it now. It's not just hot - it's like walking into a puddle of water when you step outside. Lightning bugs and thunder storms are a plus. The culture of course is quite different and the people may not know anything about politics of the day or any particular class struggles, but they can fix a wagon axle in the dead of winter with their eyes closed, skin a hog, pick a tune, brew some shine and foot stomp till the cows come home, and in this case, literally. I grew up in VA and spent a few summers in Floyd working on a farm - it seemed to me people in them' parts were more concerned over what kind of feed to use and the weather cycles for their crops, and what bob so-and-so is up to 6 acres across the way rather than social or political currents of the times. Oh and Jesus. By god son have you been healed? HAhaAHahaaa...

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
We drive out to the ridge and valley region (that's what they call it) on some weekends just to watch the sunrise, and the shenandoahs are one of those things that no picture or video or words could ever come close to capturing how overwhelming it is. It blows you away.

If you can find a way to make it to Natural Bridge, VA in Rockbridge County, it's a bumfuck town where a guy moved to start a company that makes plaster cast statues for amusement parks. He basically owns the whole town and it's mutated into a gigantic network of outrageous tourist traps. Items of interest include Foam Henge, a life-sized replica of Stone Henge, a fucking zoo that probably gets like 15 visitors a year but still somehow has zebras, babboons, a bengal tiger, and some giraffes, Escape from Dinotopia, which is a gigantic hedge maze with a bunch of dinosaur statues....etc...

Bristol's cool.

Rode trains through the Great Smokey Mountains when the sun was rising and it was one of the greatest things I ever saw in my life.

D

Daviddrp

If you make it to Chattanooga, TN, I will offer a free place to stay and also take you on a field trip if you want to Dayton, TN, home of the scopes monkey trial. This city also voted to ban homosexuals (not marriage, but individuals . . .) in 2003-or-so when I was attending college there. When the county commission withdrew their plan, the public protested. But despite all this, it's a fucking great town . . .

--David

spoorprint

Reaction score
Spruce Knob, the West Virginia High point, is really beautiful, at the top it has a sub alpine
ecology more typical of places in Canada.You can hike from the bottom (we did it as an overnight) or drive clear to the top-there is an overlook tower.

If your going to drive through Appalachia though, you'll have to do really good vehicle maintenance.I tried to drive to Cathedral state forest on a good Saturday a few weeks ago, got into the mountains had to to turn back.

I

IBRRHOBO

Howdy from one of us 'hicks' out here where they pump in the sunlight! As to Floyd County, if u look closely @ some of my pix u will see me standing beside the County line sign.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads