Anyone ever made your own gear? DIY, modifications, quickfixes? | Squat the Planet

Anyone ever made your own gear? DIY, modifications, quickfixes?

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
I don't have any photos, but I scored some old chainsaw chaps from the dumpster at my work, and I turned them into a sort of cargo belt. They already clip around your waist so I just cut the legs off at the thighs, folded the fabric up to the belt, and sewed it into 4 separate pouches using waxed cotton thread. Cut the top flaps into triangles and sewed on snaps as fasteners. Best part about it is the fabric is waterproof.
Cutting through the kevlar inside was the hardest part.
Picture something like this but really, really shitty. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/h88AAOxyyq5TO-kQ/s-l300.jpg

I want to get into leatherworking next. I've got a badass buckskin pouch my great uncle made himself and I want to replicate it because I'm too scared of damaging the original. I thought I might be able to get a deer this year, but looks like I'll be trawling through dumps for old leather sofas.

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Oh, and I've been using an empty grain sack as a sleeping pad: when I settle down for the night I stuff it with leaves (bone dry ones). Makes for great waterproof insulation from the ground for your head and torso. And it takes up very little space; compare that to a normal sleeping pad.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
See if you can find a copy of "Pacific Crest Trail'' by Ray Jardine. Jardine is one of the founders of Outward Bound: is an elderly dude who does unbelievable shit like sea kayaking the arctic; doing the AT & PCT 24 times, etc. His PCT guide has plans for all DIY trekking gear.

Reactions: Jone

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
cool - I'm going to go see if I can download to my sadly neglected kindle as I have credits built up (love walking/hiking and listening to an audible book - thank you to bf for giftcard too hehe). This looks like an interesting read and perhaps some good info to pass on. And I like @creature suggestion of remaking that old leather couch left on the curb (meh even pseudo leather as well).

Reactions: Mankini

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
In a pinch and would love to hear some suggestions or experiences with making your own rucksack, sleeping bag etc

Willow trees have most of the material you need for a framed wicker pack, but I have seen them hybridized with oil treated leather. As for straps and tie downs hemp is a popular choice.

I have resorted to sewing together my own pack out of miscellaneous scrap pieces of fabric and straps. Buy some sewing supplies at Walmart and sit in the front lobby on the floor sewing your pack together, Walmart usually wont kick you out for sewing your gear together in there and if you're sitting on the floor people love to give you money if you look like you need it - been my experience anyways

Last edited:
Reactions: Jone

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads