anybody do jiu jitsu?

bradbradidea

Reaction score
anybody on here do any martial arts more specificly jiu jitsu? just currious if theres any fellow martial artist on here. also wanted to say its not a bad idea for any tavler to take some jiu jitsu or some oher form of self defense lessons, id recomend jiu jitsu tho (desinged for a smller opponent to beat a larger one) it gives ya good feeling of security that if need be you can handle your shit with out the use of a weapon especialy when travlin alone or if youre a smaller guy or gal. plus its great exercise for the body and mind. just somthin to think about.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
when i was a lot younger, my uncle at the time (RIP) use to teach me ninpo (bujinkan budo taijutsu to be specific) that he learned from a friend of his named stephen k. hayes. i don't remember a whole lot, but i do remember quite a few pressure points which have come in handy.

ninpo is like the dirty fighting of martial arts... good to know for the streets.

Reactions: bradbradidea
D

Deleted member 20

I received extensive training in LINE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LINE_(combat_system) while in the Marines. I know it is not the current hand to hand fighting system employed by Marines today but it has proven to be highly affective enough for Army SF & other units up until recently. It takes some grappling & ground fighting from Jiu jitsu while taking breaks, throws & chokes from Judo, strikes & kicks from other martia arts & combines it all into one, not purely a defensive or offensive martial art more of a hybrid depending on the situation.

uncivilize

Reaction score
Are you talking about traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which has become so popular now that people just refer to it without "Brazilian"?

I've done a little rolling, not enough to feel super confident about it, though my brother is very dedicated. It's a great art, skill, strategy and finesse over brute force. I'm not sure pulling guard on the street is such a good idea, especially if someone has buddies around, but seeing as how so many fights end up on the ground, definitely something worth having in your toolbox. Once things get a little more settled I'm hoping to be able to start training, it's at the top of my list.

bradbradidea

Reaction score
Are you talking about traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which has become so popular now that people just refer to it without "Brazilian"?

I've done a little rolling, not enough to feel super confident about it, though my brother is very dedicated. It's a great art, skill, strategy and finesse over brute force. I'm not sure pulling guard on the street is such a good idea, especially if someone has buddies around, but seeing as how so many fights end up on the ground, definitely something worth having in your toolbox. Once things get a little more settled I'm hoping to be able to start training, it's at the top of my list.
well i trained american jiu jitsu its a little more agressive and attack orientated kind of wrestling influenced. and yes defanitly save pulling gaurd for the mats

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Dharma Bum mentioned Ninpo, a friend of mine gave me a few lessons. The whole pressure point thing is really interesting and I found quite simple to remember. I am not the most athletic person in the world but I managed everything he taught me and he kind of taught me more self defence moves as opposed for me to attack with. Like how to get away if someone grabbed my clothes or arm or something. Also how to fall and roll to standing again after someone pushes you and how to disarm someone with a knife. Learning this stuff and also realising that the stronger/bigger person doesn't always win was kinda empowering. I'd recommend it to anyone but think that it is more important to learn this stuff in order to get away from a situation as opposed to fight, just my personal opinion.

bradbradidea

Reaction score
Your talking about MMA it's not jiu jitsu but it uses all the same moves.[/quot Well it's still jiu jitsu just not traditional japanesse or Brazilian, it's sometimes referred to as guerilla jiu jitsu I don't know for sure tho I only trained for a little over a year and don't know too much about the different types of martial arts and what setts them apart but it is very prevalent in mma

Diablero

Reaction score
Most martial arts systems taught aren't worth a damn in real life. That being said I have studied TKD, judo and brazilian jiujitsu for varying amounts of time. All in all, it always comes down to either all out brawling in real life or weapons. So you either gotta have the strength and size to ground and pound or you better carry a bigger weapon.

In real fights, it's generally a mess that ends up with one person being tackled and people rolling around and the only solution to that is to get the top position and pound away.

Honestly, I wouldn't use martial arts unless it was a last resort. The notion of a smaller person taking on a larger person using MA is bullshit largely. Most often the smaller person will get their ass beat quite quickly in my experiences. As far as grappling arts like jiujitsu goes, this becomes especially true.

Carry a weapon or stay home. Using martial arts will get you nothing but a knife in the ribs as soon as it hits the ground as soon as someone has the opportunity to. It's not a sporting match or the ring, there are no rules except survive.

The top choices for weapons being: [in declining order]
A) A revolver in the 30 cal range especially a 357 [a 4" barrel should be the minimum, no inaccurate snubnose POS's]
B) A 9 or 10 inch bowie knife with a good handle such as a hand formed grip
C) 3 foot stick with a hole drilled in one end for a lanyard loop to go around the wrist and the stick should be hardwood if possible and a bit thicker than your thumb [such sticks are often overlooked but can break bone and crack skulls with one good slap though head shots can easily be fatal]

Any kind of scrap is taking a chance with your life and most are likely carrying at least knives, some carry guns even a few here admit doing so. A concealed weapons charge usually never distinguishes between types so carry the best you can.

Diablero

Reaction score
Dharma Bum mentioned Ninpo, a friend of mine gave me a few lessons. The whole pressure point thing is really interesting and I found quite simple to remember. I am not the most athletic person in the world but I managed everything he taught me and he kind of taught me more self defence moves as opposed for me to attack with. Like how to get away if someone grabbed my clothes or arm or something. Also how to fall and roll to standing again after someone pushes you and how to disarm someone with a knife. Learning this stuff and also realising that the stronger/bigger person doesn't always win was kinda empowering. I'd recommend it to anyone but think that it is more important to learn this stuff in order to get away from a situation as opposed to fight, just my personal opinion.

All of this is pure BS in a real fight. Most won't be able to break a grip or disarm someone with a knife. It may work if the person is of similar size and you're quicker but if not, which will often be the case, you'll learn how foolish such things really are.

If someone is advancing toward you with aggression it's probably too late and only using defensive techniques will not get you out of a fight. If you get into a fight, fight and win. Otherwise you'll be defending yourself right up until you get knocked out.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
I would agree that many arts are taught with competition in mind. And for those who learn these arts for competition, attempting to use them in a fight of any sort is likely a mistake (unless the practitioner is very skilled).

Having said that, these are called martial arts for a reason. There are arts which *are* intended for brawls (combat or what ever you wish to call it), and practitioners of those arts are not people I would want to mess with.

Diablero

Reaction score
I would agree that many arts are taught with competition in mind. And for those who learn these arts for competition, attempting to use them in a fight of any sort is likely a mistake (unless the practitioner is very skilled).

Having said that, these are called martial arts for a reason. There are arts which *are* intended for brawls (combat or what ever you wish to call it), and practitioners of those arts are not people I would want to mess with.

Agreed.

Generally speaking most arts taught are competition/sport arts. Very few real martial arts continue to be taught.

I don't consider MMA or similar styles combat arts by any means either. It is impractical to rush into a grappling situation in real life and is too dangerous. In such a position a rock to the head or knife to the ribs is an easy move against you. Ideal combat arts are ones that stress crippling strikes and keeping as much distance as possible.

Internal or soft styles promote this and are very effective however they take many years to even begin to learn to use such techniques in combat whereas hard style arts can be used immediately. I have seen some impressive displays regarding internal arts.

Even with combat arts however, a gun or ranged weapon will always win. And a longer handheld weapon being a good second likely to win.

All the weapons I listed above will generally win over most weapons carried when traveling by others. Some of the knives or weapons carried by others are a joke and many travel without any protection or worse yet dogs.

Dogs aren't hard to distract [even trained dogs are easy to distract using a variety of methods] and they are easily dispatched. The fact that people feel safe traveling with dogs as protection makes me uneasy.

Growing up among ex-cons [family friends were all ex-cons of various sorts] I was often overheard the stories about how they dealt with dogs during robberies and even while the owners were asleep in the house without making much noise. After hearing all the stories I have about bypassing dogs, I'd never trust my life to a dog.

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
Well, I was thinking of stuff like LINE and MCMAP, then there are other systems being used in Israel which is beyond wicked (and designed to go up against guns. The russians have a system too, and I suspect it is also very effective. In fact you will find that many countries have developed a modern martial art to support its military, I think china has a new(ish) one too. I will grant you, that many are based on older systems, but the point I want to make here is that there are in fact many new (and very effective), systems.
But that is not really the point I wanted to make (and completely failed to make last time). The point I wanted to make is that it really does not matter if you learn something old, like Philippine stick fighting, Ju jitsu, akido, Thai Boxing, or what not. It is all about attitude, and intent. If you want to learn something for competition, then how to compete is what you will learn. If you want to learn something and make it useful, well, then classes become far more interesting.

I once heard a marine say something that has stuck with me since "One mind any weapon". To me, one way to read this is, It is not so much what you know, it is how you use it."

K

Kim Chee

i know stomp on your skullata ichi, smash your teeth down your throatuschinawa, and my fist in your FACE. thats is all.
My old girlfriend would say that when pms'ing.
...then there are other systems being used in Israel which is beyond wicked (and designed to go up against guns.
Yeah, it's called a thermonuclear device, which is not a "martial art", duh.

I don't have martial arts training:(.
I do have plenty experience doing security in nightclubs.
I don't think it is a bad idea to take some lessons.
It is a tool.
Use it when it is necessary, if you can.
Don't let your over/under confidence do you in.
...use poor judgement and your ass may soon be in trouble.

Just in case you forget how to love.

Diablero

Reaction score
Well, I was thinking of stuff like LINE and MCMAP, then there are other systems being used in Israel which is beyond wicked (and designed to go up against guns. The russians have a system too, and I suspect it is also very effective. In fact you will find that many countries have developed a modern martial art to support its military, I think china has a new(ish) one too. I will grant you, that many are based on older systems, but the point I want to make here is that there are in fact many new (and very effective), systems.
But that is not really the point I wanted to make (and completely failed to make last time). The point I wanted to make is that it really does not matter if you learn something old, like Philippine stick fighting, Ju jitsu, akido, Thai Boxing, or what not. It is all about attitude, and intent. If you want to learn something for competition, then how to compete is what you will learn. If you want to learn something and make it useful, well, then classes become far more interesting.

I once heard a marine say something that has stuck with me since "One mind any weapon". To me, one way to read this is, It is not so much what you know, it is how you use it."

There are two issues with this. One you have to be in arm's reach or closer generally. If one has a gun, the can keep distance easily and dispatch you if you advance without any effort.

Two, you have to be quicker than your opponent or catch them off guard. If you ask me, thats too many ifs, ands or buts for my liking.

No matter what you know, a bullet will take people down from distance and you will make a mistake sooner or later. All it takes is a slight misjudgment to be fatally shot or stabbed or even cracked in the skull fatally with one of the sticks mentioned above. Surprisingly they do generate very high forces.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads