any tattoos?

C

Cush

I'm probably going to be getting my first tattoo sometime in the next couple months. I've attached a pretty terrible version of what it'll be like but it's as good as i could do in photoshop. the design that i did by hand was a lot clearer and better. so do you guys have any tattoos? any interesting stories about what they mean and where they came from? post pictures of rediculous tattoos as well.

Post edited by: Cush, at: 2007/01/29 07:00

Post edited by: Cush, at: 2007/01/29 07:01

R

rachelgrace

i dont see the attachment...
i have a huge tattoo of the lady of guadalupe on my arm [i guess a half sleeve], some primitive homemade tattoos on my ribs, and some birds on the inside of my arms.
the lady of guadalupe is because i collect massive amounts of religious statues, art, candles, whatever. and since it's all stored away because i can't carry it with me, i wanted something that is a no-brainer - it's always with me. the primitive crap on my ribs is for my platonic soulmate, so i could always have part of her with me. and i'm about to get 'love will tear us apart' for my friend from milwaukee.
your body is a storage place for memories because you can't always carry the things you want with you.
i really want to see your idea!

P

picklehop

yeah i have a lot, i do tattoos also i guess thats why i got so many. i have love and hate on my knuckles, a rose on my hand that says hearts in it for the seattle band Exploding Hearts who died in a car wreck. i have a spade under my right eye, from motorhead i guess, i have sparrows on my chest, my last name above my belly button, i have a dead bear on my right arm next to an indian pin up girl cuz im a quarter indian. i got a choking victim tattoo on my leg, river city rebels tattoo on my left arm they're close friends of mine, i have mid west tattooed on my left shoulder it was my first tattoo. i have a soft spot for the midwest and where i grew up. i also have a spiderweb on my left elbow signifying me getting caught into the tattooing craft. i have some more pointless shit on my legs and soon im gonna get a pentegram with a goat inside it and also doing some tribal work on my hand next to my rose to cap the thumb off.

R

redbiggs

first one is the word for "one" in kanji
my whole band got it
we were called "one"--shocker
(a phoenix band)

then i have the word crafted with an anchor
a nine pointed star with an arabic symbol in the middle
three words in kanji on my spine
a scarab on my spine
a celtic-like tribal tramp stamp
nautical star on my neck
sailor jerry skull in a butterfly on my neck
skulls and spirals on my wrist

wow. i never realized how many i have.

Post edited by: redbiggs, at: 2007/02/01 14:09

D

danvan

whats peoples experience with DIY tatts ?

i really really like the way alot of them look but then again i have seen some that look terrible

is it dirty feet who has one in her gallery ??
cos i really dig that one

C

Cush

as far as DIY tats go i've seen some that look great. I've seen some that look absolutly terrible. The guy that will probably end up doing mine is all DIY but he's been doing them for years and uses a homemade gun. also, if you're interested in making a gun that works really well

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/372595/tattoo_gun_homemade_in_5_minutes/"]http://www.metacafe.com/watch/372595/ta ... 5_minutes/[/ame]

there's a link to really really good directions to make a decent gun. and also, my tattoo is going to be of this

4.gif

it'll be the one in the bottom right corner. I'll make it so the loop faces down my forearm towards my hand. Turns out i might be getting it sometime before the end of february.

Reaction score
I have a dotted line across my ankle with two little scissors that go along it.
its homemade and hasnt faded a bit in the few years i've had it...mostly because its so basic. but whatever. I want more

D

danvan

wow that gun is pretty cool indeed
but it doesn't say anything about disinfecting
and everywhere else seems to think its pretty important

would you just boil the guitar string first or something?

mike

Reaction score
danvan wrote:
wow that gun is pretty cool indeed
but it doesn't say anything about disinfecting
and everywhere else seems to think its pretty important

would you just boil the guitar string first or something?

I would be interested in this aswell cause ive heard to use bleech ,alcohol,or just burn the needles etc. to disinfect them.

I'd say that you'd have to dip it in alcohal or bleach to disinfect the needle. If you were try to disinfect with a lighter you'd burn and melt the tip of the pencil. that would render the gun useless.

C

circle_b

ahh, DIY tattoos --

i tattooed one of my ex-bfs pretty extensively, we used a real tattoo gun that he'd bought at a pawn shop some while back and india ink (i actually had the art supply store here in town deny selling me the india ink because they said i would use it for illicit purposes - who knew .. ). also tattooed a couple other people with the gun.

we also made a tattoo gun later, but sharpening the guitar string was a serious, serious pain in the ass. i'd try to get a real sharp or needle - friend of mine did his DIY tattoos by hand with just a real needle.

as far as disinfecting the gun, i think we were drunk and used whatever liquor we'd been drinking.

for me, my favorite tattoo is probably my gun, a colt .38.

R

rachelgrace

my homemade tattoo is done with my own hand, needle, and india ink.
i guess it all depends on how well you can puncture your own skin?
i started some on my wrist and it is very faint because i guess i wasn't all that into it.

I

ImSter

all my tats are DIY few done with a peircing needle(16 gauge)others done with a jailhouse style gun,all done when i was pretty young...i have the werd punk on my left forearm with a really crappy skull with a bullet hole under it and a (A) on the webbing between my thumb and index finger...then the black flag bars on one calf and my sons name CID on the other.

P

picklehop

i wouldn't even risk using homeade guns at all, needle and ink isn't bad if you make sure you clean it and dont use it more than once on different people, but i would definately look into using tattoo needles even if its poke and stick, some shops will sell them to you for a dollar, pre sterilized and everything... but yeah i just wouldn't even risk it, ALOT of my friends have gotten hep C cuz they shared a needle with a bunch of travelers they didnt know for a long time who were pokin and stickin, and now they're pretty much gonna die within 5-10 years cuz of 1 stupid night. this isnt just 1 or 2 people its like 9 or 10 all under 21, so try and be careful, like i said before some shops will just straight up sell you needles pre sterilized. and the needle will go deeper and will hurt less because its not as thick and has more than 1 needle.

hope that helps some people. i hate hep C and what its done.

peace

pickle

D

danvan

if i did make a gun or do em with a needle it would be for me only and i certantly wouldn't share the needle

but still its pretty frightening stuff

spose i will have to ask around more

M

Mouse

I've got 8 tats all together.

some are DIY

others I spent a lot of money on.

DIY ones =
done by a good friend of mine
6.jpg

done by another good friend of mine who's an awesome artist. I was his first tattoo. I instisted he start tattooing and since he's done some amazing work.
4.jpg

I did this one myself. PBR!
1.jpg

paid for =
3.jpg

2.jpg

92e9bd03.jpg

DIY tattoos are mad fun to do but tendious. I just use a (clean and brand new) sewing needle, thread, and india ink. Sometimes if I can I fashion a handle for the needle outta an pen casing so it's easier to hold. makes it go much more smoothly. I've done a lot of tats to friends as well.

Post edited by: MattPist, at: 2007/02/01 11:58

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads