any good knife suggestions with self-defense in mind | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

any good knife suggestions with self-defense in mind

A

AlwaysLost

yeah I love this knife. im not sure which morakniv it is. @syrinyx picked it out. full tang, sturdy, sharp. feels good in ma hand.

I found your knife black it actually doesn't have a terrible profile for knife fighting.

Its the Mora Garberg. It has a nice all purpose profile I like it.

A fighting knife typically has a blade with a pointier tip and curves slightly more inward for armored foes or outward for pigsticking. But those knives are not particularly useful for campcraft.

Its a pretty knife I hope they make a high carbon steel version soon. I'm emailing Mora now lol.

The only problem is like @EphemeralStick said if you shiv someone with that are u OK throwing an 80$ knife in the river.

black

Reaction score
I found your knife black it actually doesn't have a terrible profile for knife fighting.

A fighting knife typically has a blade with a pointier tip and curves slightly more inward for armored foes or outward for pigsticking. But those knives are not particularly useful for campcraft.

Its a pretty knife I hope they make a high carbon steel version soon. I'm emailing Mora now lol.

The only problem is like @EphemeralStick said if you shiv someone with that are u OK throwing an 80$ knife in the river.

show me the link youre looking at cuz the knife we got was like 13 bucks each I promise. ill find it on amazon real quick

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
you do not need advanced training in knife fighting. pointy end goes into the soft stuff. that's it.
Oops, forgot to write my reply to this.

Maybe not, but I don't doubt that a traveler has pulled their 3" kabar thinking they're a badass then had their skull cracked over by a smiley. Knife wounds bleed a lot but they won't slow anybody down much unless you know exactly where to put it, so it's not really that simple. It's a weapon that mostly relies on the intimidation factor and the person being scared by a bleeding wound. You could get attacked by someone on meth, slash their arms and chest up to all hell, and they could still stomp your skull in, because you don't know where to put the knife to disable the person, and even if you do, you don't know how to get it there. Compare this to a weapon like a baton, a gun, or a stun gun, and I just don't see any reason to try to use one defensively. Breaking bones or shocking someone is a lot easier than trying to sever tendons/muscle or cut open arteries.

I can definitely see your point though. It might be the most accessible weapon for a traveler to have, and given that circumstance it can work. I just think it's the worst option of the lot in terms of defense utility.

Last edited:

black

Reaction score

this is what we got

black

Reaction score
okay I didn't even read the description honestly I just remember the price and the wife told me it was full tang. same color, sheath. I haven't truly put it to the test yet

black

Reaction score
I have to say I'm super new to the world of knives and shit and im pretty stoked on all of it. its like picking up a can of chili when you just really really want some chili

Reactions: OutsideYourWorld
A

AlwaysLost

okay I didn't even read the description honestly I just remember the price and the wife told me it was full tang. same color, sheath. I haven't truly put it to the test yet

Its a hell of a knife for 13$ bro. I've owned several..don't trip about the tang. Its a little knife as long as you don't try to do big knife things like try to chop down a tree with it will hold up just fine. Just check if its high carbon steel. If its high carbon u want to make sure u dry it off when it gets wet and rub a little veggie or olive oil on it.

A

AlwaysLost

I like these more than the mora's. Made in Finland, full tang, pretty light, and just... feels so good:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-110-carbon-steel/53634

Shipping is quite cheap as well.

I like the looks of that knife IMA try it after I lose my Robust. Thanks. Looks like the bushcraft black but with a full tang and a better sheath.

I love Scandinavian Steel.

OK yeah that's not full tang its a rattail tang. That's ok though its still a well made little knife. That's the greenie I was talking about.

On thing I will warn you about Mora's @black is the sheaths suck. I've come home with empty sheaths so many times lol. But there so cheap I just buy another.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I just got mine in the mail a few weeks ago and it's very nice. I got the leather sheath with it and it's all beautiful workmanship. Even with the Canadian dollar where it is, it's worth it.

Grabbed a bunch of other military stuff from their site because it's flat-rate shipping and at a very good price. Got some brand new goretex pants for $25!

Reactions: Juan Derlust
A

AlwaysLost

I just got mine in the mail a few weeks ago and it's very nice. I got the leather sheath with it and it's all beautiful workmanship. Even with the Canadian dollar where it is, it's worth it.

Grabbed a bunch of other military stuff from their site because it's flat-rate shipping and at a very good price. Got some brand new goretex pants for $25!

I am definitely going to check out their site. Always good getting an opinion I can trust. That's a good price on goretex pants. Preciate it!

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I have to say I'm super new to the world of knives and shit and im pretty stoked on all of it. its like picking up a can of chili when you just really really want some chili

Full tang or not, Moras are very economical knives, and they're made well. Personally I think a lot of them are really ugly, though. The mora bushcraft is a very good knife for the price if you also need a knife for camp crap. I wouldn't worry about paying for a fancy knife unless it appeals to you in some way. What you usually pay extra for is bells and whistles that don't really matter unless you're a knife enthusiast like different kinds of steel. It's definitely harder to wade through all the shit knives in the cheapo price range though.

Synchronicity

Reaction score
I've carried a karambit before. They are used for slicing viral tendons and arteries. You could incapacitate someone by slashing behind their knees. It's also pretty intimidating to behold.

Attachments

• timthumb.jpg
    timthumb.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 337

black

Reaction score
Full tang or not, Moras are very economical knives, and they're made well. Personally I think a lot of them are really ugly, though. The mora bushcraft is a very good knife for the price if you also need a knife for camp crap. I wouldn't worry about paying for a fancy knife unless it appeals to you in some way. What you usually pay extra for is bells and whistles that don't really matter unless you're a knife enthusiast like different kinds of steel. It's definitely harder to wade through all the shit knives in the cheapo price range though.

yeah I think we did well by picking Morakniv as our first utilitarian knife purchase. Its not a huge knife or built for a decade or anything but its a sturdy little thing and better reviewed than EVERYTHING in its price range.

A

AlwaysLost

Opinels are about the only other cheap knife than a mora that i have found to have any real durability but they are nontactical folders.

I got off topic though. I'm not sure a Mora companion would be my first choice for self defense but the best knife is the one you have so...

I agree with zim, the only way I'd want an expensive knife is if I was going to spend a long time in the wilderness and I was betting my life on that knife. I just lose thongs to easily.

An old hickory butcher knife is also a good cheap and durable knife with some modifications.

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
I've been hearing really good things about mtech's Bowie knives (specifically the MT-096 and the MT-151). There are a lot of reviews and the consensus seems to be that they are very durable and will hold up to hard use. Also, they can be had for about 10 bucks if you look around.

Last edited:

black

Reaction score
@zim I didn't meant to trip about the tang, I'd just never heard of a Mora having more than 3/4 tang until the new garberg.

I am a knife nerd.
oh im not worried I was just told it was full tang before I ever even thoroughly read its description so that's what I went off of

A

AlwaysLost

oh im not worried I was just told it was full tang before I ever even thoroughly read its description so that's what I went off of

Just don't do what I did and try to pry anything with it or you'll find out real quick what kind of tang it has. Or throw it. I'm on Mora 10.0 now. Some jerk ran my new robust thru some sort of electric sharpener.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads