Anti civ life | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Anti civ life

CrowTheBard

Reaction score
Stop long enough to earn cash.

If you ‘re willing to move to less populated, less popular areas, people sometimes do sales on a land contract, not using a bank. Essentially, they are financing the deal, this method is used in areas where real estate can be on the market for years unless sellers are willing to do this type sale. I bought property in Misery, er , Missouri this way. The thing is, you gotta go there, work steady for a few years so the locals grow to know and trust you, usually.

Lots of people seem to have this same dream, but from what I see here, not a lot of alternative travelers here on StP are willing or able to bite the bullet to do what's necessary. Pity.
While this has essentially been my strategy to accomplish big financial pushes in my life, one must acknowledge the frustrating absurdity of having to fully embrace a system and a forced mode of living to (hopefully) successfully leave said systems. It’s not just about a lack of work ethic nor any other sweeping generalization of certain people. The deck really is stacked against people.

While it’s true that one can indeed put one’s “nose to the grindstone” that isn’t a reality for everyone. If one has a past felony, a lack of a drivers license, bad credit, poor renting history, a substance addiction, parasitic family, etc, one’s chances of succeeding, especially in a time frame this side of dead, or at least, dead inside, are considerably lower.

It shouldn’t be this hard to drop out and exist like the Earlings we all are. We’re from this planet. We have a right to make a living here that doesn’t depend on the taking part in “civilization.” But the fact is, for s large majority of us, that is practically impossible if not literally.

Just somtin’ ta chew on
There’s always a sacrifice to be paid, if you want something bad enough.

Earn your money while young, kick back later. Might be harder to establish yourself when you’re older
Aweful, terrible, backwards advice. LIVE while you’re young. You don’t know if you’ll make it to being older. If you do, deal with it then. In the meantime, actually, like, be present in the future.
Life=/=finical security. That’s a laughable concept at best, and straight up magical thinking the rest of the time.
The only certainty is that you’re fucking dying. Right now. You’re more dead now than a second ago...and more dead...and more dead...and on and on. Each second is one that will never be returned to you. The combined wealth of the entire planet couldn’t buy back a single second of time for a single person...it’s time that is the most valuable. And the youth to enjoy it with. Work and dronery and the cultural and ideological systems that make them seem like reasonable concepts become increasingly hilarious the further you put them into the rear view mirror.

My .02 coin of the real
(For the little they’re worth me’lord)

Cheers,
Crow

P.s. none of that is meant to be personal attacks. I’m attacking a view point/ideology/concept and not the folks whom expunged them. I hope that distinction is clear enough. I respect ya’ll for voicing your ideas, even the ones I strongly object to.

D

Deleted member 23824

While this has essentially been my strategy to accomplish big financial pushes in my life, one must acknowledge the frustrating absurdity of having to fully embrace a system and a forced mode of living to (hopefully) successfully leave said systems. It’s not just about a lack of work ethic nor any other sweeping generalization of certain people. The deck really is stacked against people.

While it’s true that one can indeed put one’s “nose to the grindstone” that isn’t a reality for everyone. If one has a past felony, a lack of a drivers license, bad credit, poor renting history, a substance addiction, parasitic family, etc, one’s chances of succeeding, especially in a time frame this side of dead, or at least, dead inside, are considerably lower.

It shouldn’t be this hard to drop out and exist like the Earlings we all are. We’re from this planet. We have a right to make a living here that doesn’t depend on the taking part in “civilization.” But the fact is, for s large majority of us, that is practically impossible if not literally.

Just somtin’ ta chew on

Aweful, terrible, backwards advice. LIVE while you’re young. You don’t know if you’ll make it to being older. If you do, deal with it then. In the meantime, actually, like, be present in the future.
Life=/=finical security. That’s a laughable concept at best, and straight up magical thinking the rest of the time.
The only certainty is that you’re fucking dying. Right now. You’re more dead now than a second ago...and more dead...and more dead...and on and on. Each second is one that will never be returned to you. The combined wealth of the entire planet couldn’t buy back a single second of time for a single person...it’s time that is the most valuable. And the youth to enjoy it with. Work and dronery and the cultural and ideological systems that make them seem like reasonable concepts become increasingly hilarious the further you put them into the rear view mirror.

My .02 coin of the real
(For the little they’re worth me’lord)

Cheers,
Crow

P.s. none of that is meant to be personal attacks. I’m attacking a view point/ideology/concept and not the folks whom expunged them. I hope that distinction is clear enough. I respect ya’ll for voicing your ideas, even the ones I strongly object to.
Well, no offense taken. But you do gotta realize, the overwhelming majority of people the world over, accept this tenet, that the world owes them nothing, and if they want anything, they can have it -as long as they are willing to work for it.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Phuen

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
If anything, it's easier to travel while younger. People suspect you less and pity you more. I'm saying this from personal experience. You also have more zest for all the crap you'll be eating from people and life.

Just be a bit balanced. I wish I had worked even a bit more in my 20s, for money, experience, and connections.

coltsfoot

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm mostly based in downeast Maine slowly doing similar things. Learning ancient skills, rewilding my mind, connecting to spirit, living in community. Are you near Arthur Haines? Best botanist in New England and has a land project somewhere in western Maine. Daniel Vitalis is closer to Portland I think but had a podcast about rewilding. Both of those two guys seem to be a little dimwitted when it comes to gender/privelage stuff but they otherwise seem pretty cool and are doing rad shit. Room for growth i guess. There's the Wildwood path based out of Unity or somewhere near there. And of course the Maine primitive skills school. Both have pretty related and somewhat intertwined communities surrounding them but pretty different approaches.

You may already know about all these folks but I figured id throw it out there just in case. I'm always super excited to hear about other people on this path. Maybe we'll run into each other some time.

paiche

Reaction score
Hi Coltsfoot! We know the Wilder Waters folks and I highly recommend Arthur's book, A New Path. I love finding other folks around the area making the lifestyle changes that will help us with a smooth landing.

paiche

Reaction score
Anti-Civ to owning land in less than a page. Dang

We must imagine sisyphus fapping
I think I understand your point and I do agree that there is something inherently wrong with land ownership. There is no way to grow healthy and learn the old ways without a place to set your roots. Someday the world I want to help imagine and create is one where ownership and money are obsolete. Until then what are we to do? We need to raise children and learn so many skills that we've lost. The more badass brave warriors of the earth who own land the further we get to that goal.

D

Deleted member 13433

Canada is so vast and under populated with humans [actually, I feel Canada has the perfect balance between humans and resources], you could easily vanish without a trace there and never have to worry about seeing another human being ever again.

Prior to my back letting go, I was very seriously thinking relocating somewhere in the U.P. of Michigan, as I found a small hunting cabin on 40 acres of land for 80k, here's the best part: completely surrounded by 160,000 acres of wilderness, no neighbors for miles and miles and miles around !!!

Only access in in by ATV or small Jeep.

That would have been absolute heaven for me, but - coming up on age 55, my back has other ideas for me.

To live such an existence, you must be in excellent physical shape.

Since I no longer am, that dream is now a part of my past.

Lucky for me, I can live where I have been currently living since the summer of 1991 more or less exactly as I please, and if the day comes to where I can't, then I may consider going back to NYC.

I know, totally the opposite of what this thread is about, but in my case I was thinking along the same lines as the original poster of this thread, and well.... my tired body unfortunately has other ideas for me, and that's ok.... as I am in a state of acceptance these days....

Good Luck Friend !!!!

Respect,

Big George + Loki the Dog

PS: edits were for spelling and readability....

Last edited:

Tatanka

Reaction score
yeah valid point about owning land and being anti civ. Best anti civ-ers are the animal nomads. goat herders, shepherd and horse and mule movers. I've been between both and still have less than 2 acres to my name that saved me many times from aimless movement and possible depression.
You don't own land your rent it from the government. Hence why I basically am underground, imbibe in very little tech. don't own a vehicle or do much over table labor gigs. I tan hides use my body and keep producer animals on my wife's parents land where we live without our names being on the deed.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads