News & Blogs An Oregon survey found that panhandlers outside of WalMart were making more than the employees worki

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/15157611.html?p=1

Police: Oregon panhandlers raking in the green

COOS BAY, Ore. - A police survey says panhandlers outside Wal-Mart in Coos Bay can make $300 a day. Inside, it takes a clerk a week to make that much.

Police say people who have a problem with that needn't look to the law - asking for money is considered protected free speech.

Coos Bay authorities say most panhandlers are not criminals.

Coos Bay Police Captain Rodger Craddock says most have lived in the city a long time and they actually have homes. Craddock says, "This is just their chosen profession."

He says most are docile, and that people should report those who are not.

Bob More, director of housing and emergency services at South Coast Community Action, says many panhandlers are there for the money - to feed their addictions.

He suggested a voucher system involving tickets people could give that are good for a meal or bed in a shelter.
The comments where interesting and worth a read as well:
wub
27 minutes ago

so lessee...poor people 'raking in the green' is big news, but obscene profit, slave wages, prison labor, and class warfare...none of that is news? This article is from 2008. Why is it a fresh story now? Why is corporate welfare not the real news?

ShareFlag
LikeReply

roguecity
8 hours ago

I wonder how a "police survey" works. Personally I wouldn't take anyone's word on this. I suppose someone could actually try it and see. Spend a day and beg, sounds like easy money lolsigh...
I guess the real story is it takes a WEEK for a Walmart employee to earn $300?!? Didn't we just read how Walmart clear over $700 BILLION last quarter, a 5.7 percent increase in profits? While their employees must take welfare and food stamps to survive?!? The REAL CRIME is how we subsidize these obscene corporate profits.

ShareFlag
LikeReply

Wayne Finley
11 hours ago

Some BUMS have zero respectt

ShareFlag
LikeReply

Scrappy
11 hours ago

I bust my sorry butt to only have everybody favorite uncle take it away and this guy gets to sit on his butt and dosen't have to give anything to the goverment at all how is this fair

ShareFlag
LikeReply

extra
11 hours ago

@ScrappyThen why don't you panhandle then? Problem solved.

ShareFlag
1 LikeReply

SSam
11 hours ago

@Scrappy You are looking at the wrong end of the economic spectrum if you are concerned about things being unfair.

ShareFlag
LikeReply

John Kiefer
12 hours ago

The best scam ever is an early 20's guy or girl, have a sign showing how they need "bus money" to get home. Start the sign off with like $100, put an x through it, work down to about $40.

Most EVERYONE will stop and not only give you money, they usually give $5 to $10 and several will give you the "final" $40 you need to "get home".
I've heard of "students" making over $500 a day doing this.

Really only works if you are young, cute, and can pull off the "I just want to see my sick mother" routine. Or, do it around the holidays.

ShareFlag
LikeReply

roguecity
8 hours ago

@John Kiefer It is not much of a scam as we are all in on it.

ShareFlag
LikeReply

DT
13 hours ago

Seriously people. STOP giving money to panhandlers. PERIOD. They are scam artists. Most people cluelessly believe that these folks are "homeless." Usually they are nothing of the sort. It's a business, run by bosses who get a cut. I've seen a man in a newer cadillac, sitting in his car in a parking lot writing out cardboard signs to hand out to the beggars. They actually have shifts, and one guy walks away and hands the sign to the other one. I've even seen a changing of the guard, where one guy walks up and takes a seat in a wheelchair, and the other guy walks away.
My favorite is the women... notice how their hair is ALWAYS touched up? No roots showing at all. They also have new shoes, nice coats, etc. Never. EVER. EVER. give money to anyone on the street. EVER. Seriously. Give it to a program that actually helps people. These people are making money tax-free.

ShareFlag
1 LikeReply

SSam
11 hours ago

@DT If you care about people who scam then you are looking at the wrong people. There is nothing wrong with helping pan handlers. The idea that they are just scamming you is sad.
It is the other end of the economic spectrum that is scamming the system and not paying their fair share of taxes.

ShareFlag
1 LikeReply

roguecity
8 hours ago

@DT There are people asking for money all day long. Don't condemn just because they don't wear a suit. Folks give because they want to give. There is no law (except God's law) that says you must be generous. Just be grateful there are a so many opportunities to test your faith and values.

ShareFlag
1 LikeReply

This comment has been deleted

Foony
13 hours ago

@Michelle Ford Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce to you the American school system.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Coos Bay: officially blown up

Reactions: trick and p4r4d0x

crow

Reaction score
That one girl's comment saddens me. I only ask when I really need it. And the most I've ever made was a 20. And even then, I didn't ask. a guy saw my girl and I dumpstering pizza and casually dropped it on the ground in front of us, saying "you dropped something."

There are scammers out there but, the majority of panhandlers are honestly broke and out of work.

It is surprising that the police ion oregon are so casual about them. Here in st.pete we've officially hit the highest homeless rate and it IS illegal to ask for money. And flying a sign will get you a ticket and a cell in les than 10 minutes.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads